« It's That Time Again.... | Main | Meretricious Legal Grandstanding Move of the Day »

July 01, 2010

Women...

...we are all about the giving:

If practice makes perfect, men should have the clear edge in beer tasting, since they account for 72.8% of the world's beer sales, according to market-research firm Datamonitor Group. But SABMiller, which makes Pilsner Urquell, Peroni and Grolsch in addition to Miller and Coors brands, says its empirical evidence shows that females are the superior sex when it comes to detecting such undesirable chemicals as 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, which makes beer "skunky."

Finding the very best tasters is crucial to the beer industry. Tasting panels ensure that the beer spilling out of the tanks each day conforms with the specific characteristics for each brand—such as the mild fruit flavor in Coors Light or the dry finish of Peroni. Tasters also help brewers decide how long their beers will stay fresh on store shelves, and what new products to introduce.

Today, 30% of SABMiller's 1,000 advanced-level tasters are female, Mr. Axcell says. The number of women tasters has roughly quadrupled in 10 years.

Admit it, gentlemen. You love us.

Posted by Cassandra at July 1, 2010 08:49 AM

Comments

Admit it, we only let the girls taste test the really crappy beers.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 1, 2010 10:00 AM

If you drink any of those wussburger barley soda equivalents of chardonnay, you deserve skunky.

DLS: Beer usually only goes skunky if it's been chilled, then allowed to warm, then sits in Teh Warm for two weeks or so.

Posted by: BillT at July 1, 2010 10:02 AM

Okay... so you don't love us.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 1, 2010 10:06 AM

Funny you never asked me why KtLW is such a big fan of hefeweisse, porter, and winter ale...

Posted by: BillT at July 1, 2010 10:10 AM

OK, I'll bite. Why?

Posted by: Cassandra at July 1, 2010 10:13 AM

I wouldn't know. Beer never lasts that long around my house.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 1, 2010 10:16 AM

I concur with BillT. How are Coors Light and Miller Lite like sex on the beach? They're f*%#!#@ close to water! Those beers are supposed to be consumed ice cold to hide the skunkiness. Additionally, no man would allow his beer to sit around long enough to get skunky.

Posted by: Smart Grunt at July 1, 2010 10:21 AM

Hot, sour, salty, sweet, umami, maybe something new relating to the detection of fat, and now . . . skunky.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 1, 2010 10:22 AM

OK, I'll bite. Why?

Because I let her taste the *good* stuff.

And when she asks if she can have "just another sip" of something, that's my clue to order a replacement for the beer-that-was-previously-mine.

Posted by: BillT at July 1, 2010 10:27 AM

We do you love ladies. But it's NOT for your taste in beer. I drink Guinness (it's 'Good For You'), Harp, and in a pinch Killian's Red. Only the latter is domestic, but it's no "barley soda" (apt analogy Bill). My wife likes Amstel and Amstel light, on the rare occasions she drinks beer.

Posted by: MikeD at July 1, 2010 11:00 AM

Beer gets hot?!

Posted by: Alstair Cooke's cousin Cletus at July 1, 2010 11:06 AM

Admit it, gentlemen. You love us.

Posted by Cassandra at July 1, 2010 08:49 AM

Or the way we taste...

Posted by: Cricket at July 1, 2010 11:15 AM

I'm a fan of IPAs, but I like to vary things up. I'll drink Kona Longboards, Yuenglings, Bass, Harp, and most other good beers, but never light beer - unless I just want to get drunk on the cheap. Guinness is great, but I like mine in a black and tan. No pre-bottled B&Ts, because I like the layered effect. It's not even noon, and I'm getting thirsty.

Posted by: Smart Grunt at July 1, 2010 11:21 AM

I love beer. Can't drink a lot of it anymore (for some reason it gives me a headache, though it never used to). But beer is a good thing.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 1, 2010 11:40 AM

Hangovers are God's way to remind us that we're not getting any younger.

Posted by: Smart Grunt at July 1, 2010 12:02 PM

A suspiscious occasion such as this calls for an alcoholic interlude.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 1, 2010 12:34 PM

Or the way we taste...

O_o

I...

*comments withheld*

Posted by: MikeD at July 1, 2010 01:17 PM

*drifts off in a day dream of Guinness, Killian's, Kirin and some microbrew Irish reds*

Wait, what was the topic again?

Posted by: Foxfier at July 1, 2010 02:30 PM

Cricket! I've been wondering where you were.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 1, 2010 05:16 PM

Foxfier, I don't remember. Something about the proof that G-d loves us and wants us to be happy or some other major theological point.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at July 1, 2010 06:36 PM

Skunky beer is not that bad. Otherwise, explain Heineken.

Posted by: ken in sc at July 1, 2010 07:36 PM

Who's licking the beer?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 1, 2010 09:01 PM

I'm not a beer drinker, but I tasted a Weissen at the Water Street Brewery in Milwaukee when I was there in December '96. Wasn't bad (IMO - most beer I've had I think is nasty)...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 1, 2010 09:09 PM

Admit it, gentlemen. You love us.

While that much is true, my girl doesn't like beer. More for me, I say... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at July 2, 2010 12:33 AM

I don't like beer either. Although I haven't tried all the weird combination flavors. I just don't like bitterness, of any sort.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 2, 2010 01:47 AM

Bitterness?! T'ain't nothin' bitter about it.

Now I'll admit that beer is one of them thar acquired tastes but a good beer is like a tongue scraper, followed by a taste bud massage, and finally aroma therapy for the palate. So it's more like taking your mouth to tha spa.

Plus it's wet and it flushes the internal radiator right well.

Posted by: Alstair Cooke's cousin Cletus at July 2, 2010 10:29 AM

Plus it's wet and it flushes the internal radiator right well.

One does not buy beer. One merely rents it for awhile.

Posted by: Corporal Nobby Nobbs at July 2, 2010 11:14 AM

I am in the midst of canning season. 2 bushels of cucumbers later, we have pickles and relish, frozen squash and a coupla eggplant dishes.

The watermelons and cantaloupe are thriving, and so are the peppers and tomatoes.

I finally located a recipe for canning tomato soup. I am not frantically busy, as we have many hands to help prepare veggytubbles and fruit for preservation. BUT, my laptop is in the shop and I seldom get on the desktop unless there is a Free Moment.

I am also in my Auditing Class, or 'assurance services.' That amuses me no end, as CPAs do not provide 'absolute assurances,' only 'reasonable assurances.'

Heh.

Posted by: Cricket at July 2, 2010 03:46 PM

Count me as a giver. I'm not a beer drinker - not a drinker much at all (though give me a good mojito and I might change my tune). But MacGyver is so I make sure we have beer on hand most of the time. When we lived in Colorado, it was Fat Tire or 90 Schilling but here it's Amber Bock or possibly a NewCastle.

Can't wait to get back to the mainland where I can get him more of what he likes.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at July 2, 2010 03:48 PM

Hops sounds like some secret ingredient of witches brew tho.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 2, 2010 07:23 PM