« WEIRD Sampling Bias Skews Social Science Research | Main | Sex Is A Human Right? »

August 17, 2010

Deeply Disturbing Tidbit of the Day

Via Betsy Newmark:

[I]t seems more and more Britons have come to see nothing wrong with keeping ted in the bed.

More than a third of us still hug a childhood soft toy while falling asleep, according to a survey of 6,000 British adults.

More than half of Britons still have a teddy bear from childhood and the average teddy bear is 27 years old.

Those who slept with a teddy told researchers that they found it was a comforting and calming way to de-stress at the end of the day.

And 25 per cent of men polled said they took their teddy away with them on business because it reminded them of home.

Even Prince Charles travels everywhere with his childhood teddy, according to claims in a book by the U.S. writer Christopher Andersen.

Hotel chain Travelodge, which carried out the research, said that in the past year staff have reunited more than 75,000 teddies and their owners.

Spokesman Shakila Ahmed said: ‘Interestingly the owners have not just been children, we have had a large number of frantic businessmen and women call us regarding their forgotten teddy bear.

There are some who might aver that a woman who keeps a giant, stuffed Moose on the daybed in her spare bedroom should keep her snarky opinions to herself on this subject.

In my own defense, I will say that I do not sleep with The Moose. Nor does he travel with me.

Posted by Cassandra at August 17, 2010 01:35 PM

Comments

While I do not have a teddy bear, the wife has two (one I purchased for her last birthday). She only sleeps with them when I am out of town. I have also noted that on the rare occasions she is out of town, I do tend to wake up clutching her pillow in a manner similar to a teddy bear. I think it's the comfort thing. In my case, it's not a teddy bear, but it's something that smells of my wife. And no, before anyone asks or thinks I mean otherwise, she does NOT stink. Cass and others who have had separations from spouses know what I mean. You never notice it when they're there, but when their gone, you find yourself picking up their scent on various objects. A towel, a pillow, or some such. And it's comforting.

I don't judge an adult with a teddy bear harshly. If that's what reminds them of home, well that's fine. For me, it's not home I miss, but my wife. I rarely sleep as well when we're apart.

Posted by: MikeD at August 17, 2010 01:45 PM

I have a stuffed unicorn....

Posted by: MeanCricket at August 17, 2010 01:50 PM

MikeD,
I know what you mean. When the Engineer was gone, I moved over to his side of the bed, and kept a shirt of his that he had worn before he left. I didn't wash it..I needed that connection.

However, a loose Moose is scary.

Posted by: another Bug heard from. at August 17, 2010 01:56 PM

Mike:

When my husband was deployed, I used to get the t-shirt he sleeps in out of his drawer and sleep in it sometimes because it smelled like him. So I understand :)

I'm not even sure another person would notice that but when you live with someone, you become more sensitive to certain things about them.

FWIW, I also have a stuffed bear that turns into a tacky Marine Corps football (you unbutton his back and turn him inside out). I keep it on the armchair in our bedroom b/c it makes me laugh just looking at it.

I used to pick Sausage up and rub his ears when I felt lonely. That little dog sure left a big hole in my heart :)

re: not sleeping well. We were both amused this deployment to find that neither one of us slept soundly for the first 4 months or so. It's funny - you think you're coping so well and then you find you can't even fall asleep easily when the person you love is gone.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 17, 2010 01:57 PM

A woman who worked for me had her suitcase come open during a business trip, revealing her teddy bear. Legend has it (this happened after I'd left the company) that she was so embarrassed that this was the event that led to her quitting.

Posted by: david foster at August 17, 2010 02:02 PM

That's kind of sad. I could easily see being embarrassed by having the wrong kind of teddy fall out of your suitcase but I was not thinking of bears...

OK. I know. I'm going to the bad place for that one.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 17, 2010 02:19 PM

I was overjoyed, in helping my parents pack to move to a retired living facility, to discover Lamby in a box of my other early toys. (My stuffed toy lamb from infancy.) He's now along the top of the futon sofa in the TV room, with the plush Backyardagains, assorted BeanieBabies, and noisy plushs that Spice has accumulated over the years.

I don't ever remember sleeping with him (although he is worn very thin in many places), but do cuddle with Spice's pillow when she's gone on a business trip. I know that she sleeps in my dirty t-shirts when I'm gone (she complained once that I'd washed all of them before I'd left), and some of the noisy people move into the bed (especially the red bull who sings a silly song about "I love you with 1,000,000 jalapenos of love.")

Posted by: htom at August 17, 2010 02:24 PM

I still have the blue elephant my youngest son slept with in my basement. I will never get rid of it - am keeping it in case he wants it when his first child is born.

I didn't mean to make fun of stuffed animals.

I just thought the part about frantic businessmen and women was kind of funny :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 17, 2010 02:27 PM

I still have my first teddy bear. It's one Daddy bought me. He's a little worn, but I'll never get rid of him, unless I someday have a child of my own to pass it along to. I also have many of my stuffed toys from childhood. Sentimental value and all... But, I long ago stopped sleeping with them.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 17, 2010 02:38 PM

I didn't think you were, and he will love the blue elephant. There was a time when Spice traveled a lot and I suspect there's a whole different culture of people who travel too much (cf. "Up in the Air".) And every culture always funny-strange to outsiders. Funniest thing she ever dropped out of her suitcase was her giant scissors (the blades are close to 14" long) and the security person looked at them, then her, and handed them back to her!

Posted by: htom at August 17, 2010 02:38 PM

I remember crying my eyes out when my parents deemed my Raggedy Ann Doll too raggedy to keep. I was 11, I think. I'm still a little sad when I think about it, but even so, I have to wonder about the lives of people who never, ever put away the childhood toys, or at least relegated that special one to the closet or some other lesser place in their lives.

Posted by: DdR at August 17, 2010 02:51 PM

Somebody who sleeps with a familiar bear on a business trip does at least sound healthier than someone who steps off the plane and immediately heads upwind to seek out the origins of every new smell they can find.

Posted by: tomg51 at August 17, 2010 03:18 PM

Well, er...I don't know if this counts, but...I have a "stuffed marmoset" on my screen saver when I hit the hay. ;^}

Posted by: ziobuck at August 17, 2010 05:04 PM

Mine traveled with me across the pond. My mom did not even ask, it was a given that it comes with me :o) I was 26 at the time :o) I do not travel with it, though... Its large size might be the reason LOL

Posted by: olga at August 17, 2010 06:10 PM

...I suppose, though, I should admit to retrieving several of my childhood toys from my Mom... I love the fact that my daughter carries Ms. Beasly around with her every now and again. :)

Posted by: DdR at August 17, 2010 07:02 PM

My children called their stuffed animals 'lovies.' They all have a beanie baby for the Chinese Zodiac (I have two Tigers, a Dragon, a Monkey and a Rooster) year they were born in.

Posted by: Cricket at August 17, 2010 07:58 PM

I've got a big old dog I try to keep off of my bed. Does that count?

Posted by: Grim at August 17, 2010 08:02 PM

Does your dog have a stuffed toy? Does the dog bring the toy to bed?

Posted by: htom at August 17, 2010 08:08 PM

Does this fall under the skewed statistic set?

Oh, and Grim I've got a wolf hybrid that still thinks he's a pup and thinks my pillow is for him. My what big teeth you have Nikita, and big overall. Damn wolf is at 100+ pounds now.

Posted by: Allen at August 17, 2010 08:58 PM

No, the dog has no toys beyond the occasional squirrel, and mostly he sleeps next to my bed these days. He's a good dog, really.

Posted by: Grim at August 17, 2010 10:13 PM

No, the dog has no toys beyond the occasional squirrel

Isn't that animal cruelty. To the dog.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 18, 2010 07:38 AM

I slept with a teddy bear into my twenties, simply because I was used to having something under my arm. I still end bunching an extra pillow up against me when I'm on my side.

Posted by: FbL at August 18, 2010 09:13 AM

The dog mostly complains that I won't let him eat the neighbor's chickens.

Posted by: Grim at August 18, 2010 09:51 AM

There always needs to be at least one dog in the bed. We stayed at a nice B&B in the Blue Ridge once that had some extra cats, so you could have one in your room at night. It was winter, with snow on the ground, so those cats really liked to come in. More hotels should offer this service.

Posted by: Texan99 at August 18, 2010 02:49 PM

OK. I know. I'm going to the bad place for that one.

You're going to another world for that, definitely.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 18, 2010 02:54 PM

We thought we knew the one stuffed little animal that would go to college with her. Little sheep. Plucked, ear nibbled a bit. Probably needs some damage control.

I'll post a pic on my blog. Darling little girl. Nice sheep!

Sort of an AF joke. :)

Posted by: Curtis at August 18, 2010 06:12 PM

Pooky is his name. He sits on top of the mirror of my dresser. I keep him up there so my children cannot reach him. He was given to me by a friend when I was 7 or 8 (a birthday gift). The friend is gone so I hang on to Pooky.

I also have Lavender...one of those bears that is stuffed with bcukwheat and dried lavender and he smells delicious. I tuck him under my arm if I'm having trouble sleeping when MacGyver is gone.

My kids have lovies as well. I know parents that take their childrens' lovies away from them when they become "too old for such things". I could never do that...

Posted by: HomefrontSix at August 19, 2010 04:19 AM