« Greetings From 37000 Feet | Main | What Women Really Want »

August 29, 2010

Seattle

Here are a few photos from the trip. We spent Friday walking around Seattle.

troll.jpg

Under one of the many bridges in the Fremont art district lurks the Fremont Troll.

retriever.jpg

Hey! What is Retriever doing here?

boat_houses.jpg

The waterfront is lined with houseboats.

On Saturday we drove to Tacoma to see the Museum of Glass. I think this was my favorite out of all the places we saw.

stairs.jpg

I loved the stairs leading up to the Chihuly Glass Bridge:

glass_br2.jpg

The next few photos are all of the bridge.

glass_br3.jpg

The giant blue sculptures are made of a polyurethane compound. They reminded me of rock candy sticks.

glass_bridge.jpg

With the sunlight shining through them, they just glowed.

glass_bridge4.jpg

The ceiling at Sea Pavilion (far end of the bridge) is filled with brightly colored sculptures of jellyfish, kelp, and other sea creatures.

underwater.jpg

It feels like you're underwater.

driving.jpg

For Cricket. We took pictures of the market (including the flying fish) but the video is more fun!

Posted by Cassandra at August 29, 2010 03:45 PM

Comments

That domed building at the far end of the bridge is the old Union Station, now the Tacoma courthouse of the Western Washington District Court.

Tacoma used to be a grubby industrial city and it's still fashionable in some Seattle quarters to sneer at it, yet its downtown has many appealing areas and some of the residential areas are terrific - like, for example, Ruston at the south headland of Commencement Bay.

Another great thing about Tacoma is, from the same bridge picture, about a mile past your left shoulder is Bull's Eye Shooter Supply, one of the world's great gun stores and probably the only one many hoplophobes can name.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at August 29, 2010 04:54 PM

Great pictures! That troll has a leering expression...And I really love the stairs up to the Chihuly Glass Bridge and that ceiling full of bright jellyfish. Nice to put a face to all that snappy prose, too! Glad you had a fun trip! The girls and I had a great time in Montreal, but too short...

Posted by: retriever at August 29, 2010 05:09 PM

Nice to put a face to all that snappy prose, too!

Kind of a goofy photo of me, but I liked the skyline in the background and my friend looked good too! :)

Montreal is wonderful. We took my youngest son and his wife there a few years back and had an amazing weekend.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2010 09:03 PM

Steve, you said it. When I lived in the area in the 80s, Tacoma was like a preview of some dystopian future. Grim and grungy. I still marvel when I go through there at how the city has been resurrected. For the first time, I don't pity family members who live there.

Posted by: Joel at August 29, 2010 11:01 PM

Cassandra Seattle is a great city to visit, That's especially true when the weather is clear with a blue sky. (I went there at least once a month on business for some 20 plus years.) If you can stay dry and have 20 miles plus visibility, it's one of the prettiest spots in the world. Glad you had good weather.

Posted by: Mike Myers at August 30, 2010 01:11 AM

Did you get a chance to visit the Museum of Flight?

It was closed when I passed through, in '98... :-(

Posted by: camojack at August 30, 2010 01:29 AM

Great blog - thank yor for the wonderful photos! I'd like to encourage you to put your taglines beneath your photos instead of on top of them.
Most other blogs do it this way, and when you scroll down, you never miss the byline that way.
You dont anyone to miss your byline,right? Kudos!

Posted by: Dorothy Leigh at August 30, 2010 07:09 AM

Thanks for the tip, Dorothy :)

I rarely post more than one photo so I hadn't given it a whole lot of thought!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 07:59 AM

No Camo, I didn't. But we drove past it twice!
My friend had a list of things for us to do and that one wasn't on it.

The weather really was fantastic. I had visited Seattle back in the 90s and it was grey and chilly the whole weekend. This was much better. Lake Washington was just gorgeous - it was great waking up to that view every morning!

The small part of Tacoma we saw was really nice too. As Steve said, the downtown area was very attractive.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 08:14 AM

Yes, you need to go see the Museum of Flight. Also, if you have time, go to Everett and take the public tour of the Boeing plant.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at August 30, 2010 10:13 AM

Sigh. I loved it when we were there. The second-hand bookstore near the Tacoma Dome was a favorite haunt, as was the Pacific Science Center.

You really should have been a photographer, Cass.
I think you have a good eye for it.

Posted by: Cricket at August 30, 2010 10:21 AM

I am awful about taking pictures - usually I'm so busy having fun that I forget. I've lost track of the trips where I took a camera and never once pulled it out of my purse :)

So I don't have much practice. This time, I took a lot of them because my friend is moving to Ireland and I wanted to have lots of photos to remember her by.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 10:33 AM

Yup. You definitely need to hit the Boeing Museum, especially the rotorcraft exhibit!

Posted by: BillT at August 30, 2010 10:56 AM

On one of the house boats... not the one in your picture, but one on Lake union... was the house boat from Sleepless In Seattle!

Out of all my time living in Seattle, I have not actually been under that bridge to see the troll...

I think I should put that on my to do list before it starts to rain for 3/4ths of the year in about a week ;-)

Posted by: Seattle Chirorpactor at August 30, 2010 12:24 PM

Goofy photo, pfui. You're beautiful! Great photos of other stuff, too. I've never been to Seattle, but it looks fantastic.

Posted by: Texan99 at August 30, 2010 12:55 PM

The first thing I noticed about Cassandra was her smile. Her whole face lights up.

While you are there, take in Sur La Table and the Pike Place Market. There is also a fantastic home school store I visited a LOT called 'Math 'n Stuff' in Seattle.

Olympia is worth a day trip, but if you have time constraints, Seattle is absolutely the best.
I love the air-conditioned weather.

Posted by: Cricket at August 30, 2010 01:20 PM

I've only ever been in SEATAC, on my way to and from one of my cousin's wedding in Anchorage a little over 6 years ago.

My cousin and her husband are in Seattle right now. Their new baby boy (born Thursday, their 4th anniversary) had to be flown down from Bellingham to the children's hospital there late Friday for a pneumothorax, which is (THANKFULLY!) improving. They've been lucky enough to get a room at the Ronald McDonald House, and my aunt (the one from Anchorage) is now with them, too.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 30, 2010 01:46 PM

I'll keep your cousin and her little son in my prayers MLB.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 01:53 PM

BTW, now that Olympia has been mentioned, my father gives tours of the State Capitol every Friday (part of his nefarious scheme to be even busier in retirement than he was while working).

Anyway, anyone planning to see the Capitol give it a shot Friday afternoons, tell my Dad Steve sent you.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at August 30, 2010 01:57 PM

My cousin lived a block away from the Capitol Building. Their house was registered as an Historic Dwelling. She doesn't live there any more, but it was an awesome house with a fantastic front porch.

Posted by: Cricket at August 30, 2010 02:04 PM

Miss Ladybug - my mother is on the board of the Orthopedic Guild, a support and fundraising organization for Seattle Children's Hospital.

Apparently she and Dad are in competition for the prestigious Busiest Retirement Ever Award. All I have to say is they'll get no fight from me once I retire... Dad was a Naval Officer (Surface Warfare), Mom was a child psychologist, and their idea of "staying busy" would kill most people.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at August 30, 2010 02:04 PM

Thanks, Cass.

Sam & Kathryn have been keeping everyone updated via fb. Didn't check this morning before work, as they probably weren't up and updating at that hour. Can't check from the office, so I'll have to be patient. They did take him out from under the oxygen hood, though, and were giving him a little through the nose.

It's a veritable baby boom, though. Kat on Thursday, my nephew on Friday, a girl I went to HS with last Monday, and a guy I went to HS with on Saturday, and I've got another cousin here in town and his wife due before the end of September. What were all these people doing last holiday season?? ;-)

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 30, 2010 02:36 PM

If it's still there, try Ivar's Salmon House in Seattle. My dad was stationed at Bremerton and Mom was at the U of WA med school for her first residency. They have "great" memories of cross-country skiing to the grocery store and work on winter. And Dad managed to be the only soul brave (or, well, something else) enough to ride the Bremerton ferry in a major gale one night. The weather was not so exciting when we visited as a family back in *cough cough* a few years ago.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at August 30, 2010 03:40 PM

Is the Hart Brewery still there, and is its restaurant still operating? They used to have pizza dough made with yeast from the brewing process. It was delicious. And they had a tour of the brewery, with free samples.

Posted by: Cousin Dave at August 30, 2010 05:27 PM

I didn't see it, Dave. Ivar's is still there though. I know, because we had beer and salmon there on Friday!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 05:45 PM

No Camo, I didn't. But we drove past it twice!
My friend had a list of things for us to do and that one wasn't on it.
Posted by: Cassandra at August 30, 2010 08:14 AM

Incomplete list, then. ;-)

Posted by: Cousin Dave at August 30, 2010 10:13 AM

I need to go back...when it's open. :-(

Posted by: BillT at August 30, 2010 10:56 AM

Ah yes; rotorcraft! Near and dear to my heart:

Posted by: camojack at August 31, 2010 12:42 AM

I've been watching the NCIS seasons, up to 4 now, and they have been pretty entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 31, 2010 09:14 AM

"This photo is for Carrie, who has survived being in the Death Seat while the blog princess is driving."

I need to remember to take a roofie next time I sit in the Death Seat.....:D

Posted by: Carrie at September 2, 2010 10:02 AM