« More Crushing of UnAmerican Dissent | Main | A Moment of Silence »

August 18, 2010

"Some Things Do Not Getter Better With Time"

You all know the type of thing I'm talking about, don't you? Sure you do (wink wink, nudge nudge):

If I am not mistaken, today marks the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment.

Make sure you watch the linked YouTube video. The other day I expressed some frustration with conservative men (and some conservative women) who indulge in the kind of wholesale, unthinking, broad brush condemnation I used to think was uniquely the province of the worst sort of Lefty. A reader commented:

I find it hard to imagine a conservative blogger or commenter being applauded for even hinting that the world would be a better place if African-Americans (who vote overwhelmingly Democratic) or American Jews (who tend to vote Democratic) couldn't vote. This is a great mystery to me: Why are comments like this acceptable when they're made about women?

I'm not sure what Williamson thought he was saying with that video. I do know that if being able to find a bunch of high school girls who are willing to sign a petition to end women's suffrage supposedly proves something about the wisdom of allowing women to vote, then Mark Dice has pretty well established that men shouldn't be allowed to vote either:

If this is what passes for wit - or worse, serious commentary - on the right, we're in deep, deep trouble. I expected better from the National Review.

Update: Hmmm.... here's one conservative who isn't unhappy that women are "allowed" to vote.

Posted by Cassandra at August 18, 2010 04:02 PM

Comments

Ha ha ha! Silly women! Silly men!
That's why sufferage should be repealed for everyone.

Except me, of course.

I'm The Decider, and this problem is solved.

Posted by: spd rdr at August 18, 2010 06:50 PM

Years ago the tale was told (I have no idea if it's true or a fable) that someone took a typed-up copy of the Constitution & Bill of Rights around the Senate offices, requesting that the Senators sign it; there were two who did, both claiming to be proud to do so: Hubert H. Humphrey(D) and Barry Goldwater(R). All of the others refused, with various reasons, mostly "it's radical".

I suppose that's actually backwards of the video, where people are signing without reading.

Posted by: htom at August 18, 2010 07:00 PM

As for the women's suffrage thing, I think that says more about the educational system - and that example of "educational excellence" - than anything about women's right to vote....

As for the other, I have only watched the 1st Amendment video. It's a sad statement about the ignorance of many Americans, and how easily they can be convinced to infringe upon their own rights. But again, that likely goes back to our educational system....

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 18, 2010 07:13 PM

Oh, and Williamson is an ass for what he's implying...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 18, 2010 07:29 PM

This is why there is no such thing as "voice of the people". There are only individuals and organizations.

Of course, this is all stupid, because it's easy to fool people. That's nothing new. It's not particularly important either. It's like signing a petition to demonstrate that people can read or that people can die. It is rather obvious that people can read and they can die. The question is, what are you going to do with people under such circumstances.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 18, 2010 07:36 PM

and how easily they can be convinced to infringe upon their own rights.

That's why they got to be told not to vote themselves into slavery, just because selling people into slavery makes a "quick buck".

Liberty also means controlling people's behavior.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 18, 2010 07:38 PM

Most people are gullible...irrespective of gender.

Posted by: camojack at August 19, 2010 03:47 AM

Propaganda and advertisement would not be economical if people were really perceptive and wise.

Nature didn't end humans to be born perceptive or wise. That wasn't in the plan.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 19, 2010 10:23 AM

This gave me a laugh when I heard it: Taken as a group, women are just as able to make an un-wise decision as men.

Posted by: Allen at August 19, 2010 11:43 AM

Finally - full equality! :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 19, 2010 12:10 PM

That would be a funny argument though.
Man: Men are better at making a mess of things!
Woman: Women are just as capable of making as big of a mess!

Posted by: Allen at August 19, 2010 12:37 PM

I have an alternative proposition for changing the current terms of the franchise. I think the voting age should be changed back to 21. My slogan is, "If you're not old enough to drink, you're not old enough to vote."

Posted by: RonF at August 19, 2010 02:02 PM

And these people are allowed to vote? That is how our current pee-Resident got erected.

Some thought from that well known radical of his time, Mr. Thomas Jefferson on the subject of "No Freedom Without Education."

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384

"Convinced that the people are the only safe depositories of their own liberty, and that they are not safe unless enlightened to a certain degree, I have looked on our present state of liberty as a short-lived possession unless the mass of the people could be informed to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson to Littleton Waller Tazewell, 1805.

"No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity." --Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1821. ME 19:408

"Freedom [is] the first-born daughter of science." --Thomas Jefferson to Francois D'Ivernois, 1795. ME 9:297

"Light and liberty go together." --Thomas Jefferson to Tench Coxe, 1795.

"Above all things I hope the education of the common people will be attended to, convinced that on their good sense we may rely with the most security for the preservation of a due degree of liberty." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. Madison Version FE 4:480

Posted by: kbob in katy at August 19, 2010 02:47 PM

I thought that the voting age should be raised to 25 -- when I was 18 -- and that the drinking age should be lowered to 12; and I still think both of those things.

Posted by: htom at August 19, 2010 04:24 PM

htom....you mean the drinking age is NOT 12? ADM!!! (Ay Dios Mio) Living in Europe as a kid, I always thought it was.

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 19, 2010 11:05 PM

Must I tell you all that Dear Leader was not elected? He was anointed. Get with the Program.

Posted by: Cricket at August 20, 2010 04:42 AM

Miz Cricket, I didn't say he was elected. I said ERECTED.

He was built as a man above men but the press and his fawning myrmidoms, but he was built quickly from inferior materials. Anyone who has built anything knows that if you dont take your time and do it right with the best materials available, you will have a pile of rubble and a lot of wasted effort. Then comes the clean up...

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 20, 2010 03:32 PM

Sorry...typo.

Should have been "He was built as a man above men BY the press and his fawning myrmidoms."

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 20, 2010 03:34 PM