« Doing the Tax Cut Math | Main | The Thinking Man's Guide to Drinking the Hatorade »

September 17, 2010

How To Give A Locker Room Press Conference

Clinton Portis breaks it down:

A Redskins media relations official informed reporters that Portis, who, in a prepared statement, apologized for inappropriate comments he made about female reporters earlier this week, was ready for his scheduled weekly media availability.

When reporters approached Portis at his dressing stall, however, he initially did not speak. When a reporter asked Portis about his ill-advised comments during the radio interview, he held up a spiral notebook with "No Comment" written on one of the pages while Haynesworth, standing to Portis's left, tore a piece of tape and applied it to Portis's lips.

When a reporter asked about Sunday's game against the Houston Texans, Portis turned the page and held up the notebook again: "Thanks For Coming." Haynesworth applied another piece of black tape.

As reporters continued in vain to engage Portis, up went the notebook twice more with: "God Bless You" and "Have A Good Day." Haynesworth did his part with more tape, and then the players left the locker room together.

I do not know about you all, but I am just happy to see professional women speaking out against boorish men and their frat boy antics:

CWCID: Bookworm.

Posted by Cassandra at September 17, 2010 10:43 AM

Comments

Oh man... that last video had me cracking up.

I'm glad Portis and Haynesworth are having fun with this. What are you going to do?

You know what would really shut these reporters up, however, would be if the NFL created a new rule. No female reporters in the men's locker rooms. Ever. No matter if they're hot or homely. It's not fair to the players to have their right to privacy infringed upon.

Posted by: Jewels at September 17, 2010 12:00 PM

Cassandra- I just wanted to let you know that I came here from my RSS prescription of your site- but when I tried to go to your main page, google wouldn't let me. They say there is malware detected there, probably from an ad? (I've never actually noticed if you had ads- I have adblock installed. So my apologies if that isn't the problem.)

A couple of other sites around the net have had this same problem from ads so I thought I'd let you know about it. Hope it gets resolved soon. ;)

Posted by: Jewels at September 17, 2010 12:05 PM

I don't have any ads but it's possible it's one of the YouTube videos. I think this has happened before and went away when the video scrolled off the page.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 17, 2010 12:08 PM

That would just be going back to the *old* rule, and female reporters were the ones who pushed the NFL to drop it, because the "gender bias" gave male reporters

*koff*

unfair access to players in the post-game interviews.

Male reporters are still barred from the cheerleaders' locker rooms, though, which I personally feel is an outrage -- think of all the uniquely insightful insights into the game that are being lost every day of the season because they are unchronicled by male sports reporters.

And photographers. Lots of photographers.

Yeah, yeah -- "sooooooo dead"...

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 12:19 PM

Yep.

Bend over, Mr. deBille.

WHACK WHACK WHACK!!!!

Thank you.

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at September 17, 2010 12:22 PM

I don't have any ads but it's possible it's one of the YouTube videos.

If someone's watching the vid from your main page rather than opening the individual post, some ISPs interpret it as "active threat." I get an "active phishing site" warning from Firefox when the IT geeks at AKO are running malware scans at night.

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 12:29 PM

Thank you.

Always glad to help when your urges run amok.

*removing I-SAPI plates from rear pockets of 5.11 khakis*

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 12:31 PM

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 12:19 PM

LOL

Ahhh, feminism. Gotta love the logic of it.

It's like a giant game, and the rules are- they win.

Posted by: Jewels at September 17, 2010 01:14 PM

Re: YouTube vids... ah, that explains things. IMAO (I think it was them) and Rightnetwork both had problems with google ads that contained malware- and youtube puts google ads on all of it's vids now.

Which is just fabulous because what we really need is more places for people to try to sell us crap.

Posted by: Jewels at September 17, 2010 01:19 PM

I've been having the warning-screen problem too. Google's diagnostic routine places the blame on rpc.blogrolling. Apparently there are two sites hosted there that are associated with spam, so they're blocking/warning on all sites that use blogrolling code. It might be that dropping yours would end the problem.

If I were a football player, I wouldn't really want the reporters in my locker room either. It's hard to feel bad for a guy who makes a zillion dollars a year, but it really is the case that his bosses are asking something unreasonable out of him. They have an interest in publicity, so I can see their position; but a locker room isn't where cameras should be.

Posted by: Grim at September 17, 2010 01:30 PM

Unless it's the cheerleaders' locker room.

Strictly for security purposes, of course...

*double-checking I-SAPI inserts*

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 02:04 PM

Mr. Portis will get in trouble--again--when he tells some lady sportswriter in the locker room wearing painted on jeans that he "Uh, doesn't talk to female reporters."

Posted by: Mike Myers at September 17, 2010 02:05 PM

"Thank you.

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at September 17, 2010 12:22 PM"

Umm, isn't Mr. DeBille supposed to be the one to say that?

And you *do* have ads on your site. It's a pop-up on your Fox headlines widget. Jus' FYI....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 17, 2010 03:19 PM

Umm, isn't Mr. DeBille supposed to be the one to say that?

Only if she leaves a tip.

Posted by: BillT at September 17, 2010 04:16 PM

What!? Only if she leaves the ti...........
Oh.
a tip.

Nevermind.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 17, 2010 05:19 PM

Sly, you are so bad.

By the by, did anyone ever get an apology out of Viera for her blatant sexual harassment? Clearly she was making the LT uncomfortable (hell, she was making ME uncomfortable and I'm just watching a recording of it). How is that ok?

Posted by: MikeD at September 20, 2010 10:07 AM

Would have been okay with *me*, Mike.

*anybody who's surprised at that, raise your hand...*

Posted by: BillT at September 20, 2010 10:12 AM

"Sly, you are so bad."

Asterisks, MikeD., you forgot the asterisks. 0>;~} Cause being *bad* can be good....from a certain point of view.

*anybody who's surprised at that, raise your hand...*"

Uh, yeah, just as soon as you define, with specificity, exactly what 'that' is.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 20, 2010 02:53 PM

But that's why Sly is so fun and interesting.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 21, 2010 10:53 AM

How is that ok?

Power, connections, fame, money.

They make it ok.