« If Tomorrow Never Came | Main | Too Funny »

September 03, 2010

Speechless

In this week's edition of "Dang... y'all are weird sometimes":

Love Plus+ re-creates the experience of an adolescent romance. The goal isn't just to get the girl but to maintain a relationship with her.

After choosing one of three female characters—goodie-goodie Manaka, sassy Rinko or big-sister type Nene—to be a steady girlfriend, the player taps a stylus on the DS touch-screen in order to walk hand-in-hand to school, exchange flirtatious text messages and even meet in the school courtyard for a little afternoon kiss. Using the device's built-in microphone, the player can carry on sweet, albeit mundane, conversations.

If the real-life Romeo earns enough "boyfriend power" points—by completing game tasks like homework or exercise to become smarter and more buff—the reward is a virtual trip to Atami.

In the game, the couple tours the local landmarks. The girlfriend changes into a yukata, a casual summer kimono, to go see the fireworks, and then they stay overnight at the Hotel Ohnoya. It is known for its cavernous, white-columned baths in the style of Ancient Rome.

In his first visit to the real-life Atami, Love Plus+ gamer Shunsuke Kato planned to walk around the city and see the sights familiar to him from playing the game. One small hitch: his girlfriend, Manaka, was giving him the silent treatment.

Women.... we are so complicated. Hard to know what we're thinking sometimes.

Update: BillT must die.

Posted by Cassandra at September 3, 2010 01:28 PM

Comments

Let me get this striaght: The Japanese have invented a girlfriend that a guy can carry around in his pocket and shut off anytime he wants? How is this a bad thing? I mean except for that?

Happy Friday folks. I'm taking my virtual wife and family to Chuck-E-Cheese's to visit her family.

Posted by: spd rdr at September 3, 2010 02:07 PM

As somebody who has been to Japan many times since the early '80's, all I have to say is they've come up with virtual girlfriends ONLY NOW? I am amazed they haven't had them for years already. In fact, I'll bet they have had them for years and only now some Western reporter thought to ask.

Seriously. The Japanese are not like you or I... they love cute, they love gadgets, and their enthusiasms run in inexplicable directions, which they follow hard core. Come on, take a good hard look at Hello Kitty, Sailor Moon, Astro Boy, and then think "Bataan Death March... Rape of Nanking... Unit 731..."

Not to trivialize the matter, but these things have been done by the same people. A friend has said trying to understand the Japanese is like trying to communicate with bees. I think that sells the Japanese people short, but the basic idea I think is sound. What similarities you find are all on the surface.

This is why it took two atomic bombs to force them to quit after they'd already been defeated. On the other hand, we're far better off having the Japanese in our corner than anywhere else, so long as their enthusiasms (one might say "predilection to fanaticism") are directed in constructive ways. They don't do anything halfway.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at September 3, 2010 02:08 PM

Women.... we are so complicated.

Which is why some men evidently prefer -- errrrr -- airheads...

Posted by: BillT at September 3, 2010 02:37 PM

Well, as long as the woman doesn't have an inflated sense of self worth...

Posted by: I will *so* pay for this one... at September 3, 2010 02:40 PM

What do you call two blonds in the front seat?
Dual airbags.

Posted by: Recovering Blond at September 3, 2010 03:04 PM

*groan* :)

Posted by: I will *so* pay for this one... at September 3, 2010 03:43 PM

Update: BillT must die.

Ummmmm -- is that a hint to send you the extended intro from Kill Bill...?

Posted by: BillT at September 3, 2010 04:04 PM

A blonde went to the appliance store sale and found a real bargain. "I would like to buy this TV," she told the salesman.

"Sorry, we don't sell to blondes," he replied.

She hurried home and dyed her hair brunette, then came back and again told the salesman "I would like to buy this TV."

"Sorry, we don't sell to blondes," he replied.

"Darn, he recognized me," she thought.

She went for a complete disguise this time: haircut and new color, new outfit, big sunglasses, then waited a few days before she again approached the salesman. "I would like to buy this TV."

"Sorry, we don't sell to blondes," he replied.

Frustrated, she exclaimed, "How do you know I'm a blonde?"

"Because that's a microwave," he replied.

Posted by: BillT at September 3, 2010 04:11 PM

Update: BillT must die.

People have tried to kill Bill, but I think it would take a nuke if you ask me.

the girlfriend changes into a yukata, a casual summer kimono, to go see the fireworks, and then they stay overnight at the Hotel Ohnoya.

That sounds.... familiar.

This is not weird, actually. It's what is called a "dating game", related to other red light districts and issues in Japan.

It is so pervasive, even, that you can make jokes about scoring "points" to high school students and they will immediately understand. In english even. Particularly in English.

In America, baseball is the terminology most popularly known. First-Third base. Scoring points is not a particularly popular usage.

Manaka, sassy Rinko or big-sister type Nene

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 3, 2010 04:43 PM

Manaka, sassy Rinko or big-sister type Nene

The moment I saw the names was the moment I got suspicious. Especially with those descriptions. Sassy would translate as "tsundere" and ouki nechan type would translate as, well, if you really want to know it has to do with the forbidden love interest plot line.

Which is not a particularly popular theme in America. Star crossed lovers are usually depicted as being separated by enemies, money, emotional betrayal, or something like class. In Japan, a popular tragic love scenario involves the protagonist's sister.

You see how it is. When you don't notice where the cultural shock came from.

Intimate friends may even make jokes about the closeness of their friend's relationship to their sister, as a boyish prank.

The Japanese, back in medieval days, were more open about sex. So if you follow the timeline, that's basically why they developed farther in that particular arena than America. Europe, however, I can't vouch for. They are basically Islamstan already, so who knows. Islamastan likes sex and purity, each at different times.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 3, 2010 04:44 PM

Having worked in engineering firms where there were women at several layers ... if they do speak up, frequently they were ignored (and their ideas then snapped up by several males, who refuse to admit to doing this when accused of it.) Some of them eventually took to informing the idea-stealing scum's boss of the idea -before- revealing the idea to the ISS, who would run off and introduce it as his (or her) own. This was sometimes effective, but mostly made for a hostile work environment for them (the women, not the ISS!) Does not make me proud of my half of the species (if half it is.) Why can't people ... there are days that my incomprehension of humankind could only be because I'm actually a Martian in human skin.

Posted by: htom at September 3, 2010 04:54 PM

Tabum, HT

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 3, 2010 05:45 PM

People have tried to kill Bill, but I think it would take a nuke if you ask me.

Nuke me from orbit -- it's the only way to be sure.

During my last flight physical, the doc looked at my EKG and said, "After you die, they're gonna have to drive a stake through your heart to get it to stop beating..."

Posted by: BillT at September 3, 2010 05:58 PM

Bill, the Millionaire Man?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 3, 2010 06:32 PM

Does not make me proud of my half of the species (if half it is.)

As I was saying to Cass just the other day, htom, I've spent a lot of time training in the arts of war. It wasn't women I was planning to kill. :)

Posted by: Grim at September 3, 2010 10:25 PM

Interbreeding sub-species would explain a lot.

Posted by: htom at September 3, 2010 10:43 PM

Did you really train in the arts of war to kill squirrels, Grim?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 3, 2010 11:52 PM

I wish I'd had more training in discouraging downy woodpeckers, since killing them is illegal!

Posted by: htom at September 3, 2010 11:58 PM

Bill, the Millionaire Man?

Nup -- the bulletproof part of me is over my guts. My heart's just had a lot of exercise -- years of suddenly jumping up into my throat...

I wish I'd had more training in discouraging downy woodpeckers...

Use a slingshot with a pouchful of fine, dry sand.

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2010 03:44 AM

Hehe, Thanks Ymarsakar, I thought I'd have to try to explain Japanese Dating Games!

(which, counter the implication of the clip, DO have X rated versions)

Posted by: Foxfier at September 4, 2010 01:23 PM

Posted by: Foxfier at September 4, 2010 01:26 PM

I thought I'd have to try to explain Japanese Dating Games!

I think it would be fun to watch you try!

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2010 01:46 PM

Evil man...you WOULD find the chaos amusing!

Posted by: Foxfier at September 4, 2010 04:04 PM

Yup. As amusingly chaotic as foxes on a trampoline...

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2010 05:13 PM

Bill just likes different cultures. Hearing about em 2.

He's been in Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and X other number of locations.

Maybe you should be daring, Bill, and go to Liberal Lalaland. I heard it was sunny and non-recessionist these days.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2010 09:50 PM

Amazing, I just looked at the tv tropes thing, which surprisingly I researched from another source unrelated to the current tree branch, and they have Tosaka Rin's picture In the what not.

It's funny how the text reads like it is true of "tv tropes" but in fact they are talking about Japan almost exclusively. More aptly named "Japanese tv tropes".

Persuant to all the talk about childhood dreams, this seems notably lacking from certain American civil cultures.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2010 10:13 PM

It's a massive collection of geekery and cleches, which means you get a LOT about anime and related stuff. (There's also an entire index for Xanitos from the Gargoyles cartoon....)

Total time sink, if you're so inclined. ^.^

(BillT- I still have that on my computer, too!)

Posted by: Foxfier at September 5, 2010 02:43 PM

Wow, it's a Giga-Girlfriend :) (I wonder how many women were on the design team :))

Posted by: Tony at September 7, 2010 02:41 PM