« More on the South Fulton FD Brouhaha | Main | Lucky Me »

October 07, 2010

Feel Good Story of the Day

Kind of restores your faith in human beings, doesn't it?

Posted by Cassandra at October 7, 2010 12:09 PM

Comments

Posted by: Foxfier at October 7, 2010 04:29 PM

My neck of the woods. The man that stole the little girl needs to be filleted.

Posted by: Russ at October 7, 2010 06:11 PM

My faith would have been restored a bit more if one of the adults who told the kids to run had put 180 grains of lead into the perp's cranium the instant he grabbed Elisa.

Posted by: BillT at October 8, 2010 09:12 AM

What Mr. Perez did was heroic. And it used to be that what he did was what we were all raised to do. Now... Well, with the dependency that we have been trained into (don't shoot the burglar in your house, you might get sued!), people too often watch and hope the police will get there soon enough if they call 911 as fast as they can.

And record the incident on their cell phone.

Because that's all that we can be expected to do, right?

I don't think this same outcome would have occurred in too many California cities outside the Central Valley area. Certainly not on the coast.

So, yes, this restores my faith in the direction of American humanity at a time I really needed that prod. There is nothing that will change the behavior of a society as quickly as a venerated role model (for good or for ill. Thanks, Lindsey!). Sometimes it takes that one person to show everyone else what they should already be doing.

If I'm ever back home and I run into Mr. Perez, beer's on me.

Posted by: airforcewife at October 8, 2010 09:31 AM

Truly awesome!

Posted by: Craig at October 8, 2010 09:52 AM

Emphasis added, and in re the emphasized part, the weapons, and mindsets, my wife and I have for home defense are optimized, over the ranges generally obtained inside a house, to achieve a different outcome.

As to calling the police, never hesitate to do that; they're critical. But I offer this, in support of personal preparation and response, from the signature my wife uses on her emails: "Just remember that when the bad man comes, and seconds count, the police will be only minutes away."

Eric Hines