« Elmo Kicks Some Serious Butt | Main | Thought for the Day »

October 01, 2010

Rumors of My Death

Have been greatly exaggerated. I do, however, have something up over at RIGHTNETWORK.

Posted by Cassandra at October 1, 2010 10:07 AM

Comments

Very nice article. So sad that it has to be said in this day and age, because this was the norm when I grew up. My DIL uses these principles while raising her 4 active boys.

Posted by: Rex at October 1, 2010 10:39 AM

It strikes me a lot these days that we do need to be reminded of all sorts of things that used to be accepted b/c they had been tested for generations and worked well.

Somewhere along the line, we replaced the advice of our parents and grandparents with child rearing books written by "experts". I don't think that was an improvement.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 1, 2010 10:48 AM

"Too often we confuse manliness with maleness"..Here's an analogy I've been thinking about lately, especially when reading "relationship" blogs:

The only way to communicate over a channel that has high attenuation and lots of noise is to use high power, low information rates, or both. (For example, I understand that bandwidths to deeply-submerged submarines are measured in bits per minute, not megabits per second)...and with low information rates, only very simple messages can be sent.

There is now so much noise and attenuation in the relationship between the sexes..particularly in relatively-anonymous urban environments...that something similar happens. Subtlety that will work in a small town environment will not work in a bar hookup scene. So archetypal and very basic male/female characteristics ("maleness" vs "masculinity") are highly emphasized.

Posted by: david foster at October 1, 2010 11:14 AM

"Somewhere along the line, we replaced the advice of our parents and grandparents with child rearing books written by "experts".

And then recant later after the damage has been done.

"This is a cruel deprivation that we professionals have imposed on mothers and fathers," Spock declares.
[snip]
"Of course, we did it with the best of intentions," confesses Spock. "We didn't realize, until it was too late, how our know-it-all attitude was undermining the self-assurance of parents."

Posted by: DL Sly at October 1, 2010 11:46 AM

That's a very good piece, Cass.

Posted by: Grim at October 1, 2010 12:05 PM

I am glad you liked it, Grim :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 1, 2010 12:09 PM

Wonderful piece, Cassandra. Congratulations. You put into words much that I have fumbled around trying to express when surrounded by PC expert twits opining on child rearing, and especially crushing the spirit of rambunctious little boys who don't behave exactly like little girls...I had two girls who were fairly tomboyish but did I ever get an education when my son was born!

Posted by: Retriever at October 1, 2010 01:20 PM

I'm an expert. Nobody asked me.
Glad you're not dead, too.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 1, 2010 04:19 PM

Glad you're not dead, too.

That makes two of us, mr. rdr.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 1, 2010 04:46 PM

Wonderful piece, Cass. I hope it's often linked and republished.

Posted by: htom at October 1, 2010 05:27 PM

I'm glad you're not dead, too, and glad to see you posting your, as usual, brilliant observations.

DL Sly's comment reminds of of what I usually tell my coworkers. "Not having any children of my own, I am naturally the expert that all should come to for parenting advice."

Posted by: Charodey at October 1, 2010 09:57 PM

Now that you're not dead, does that mean I still am?

Posted by: BillT at October 2, 2010 07:01 AM