« Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc? | Main | Is Income Inequality Inevitable? »

January 19, 2012

Sleep Tight - Don't Let the Bedbugs Bite

One of the joys of being a grandma to two very busy little boys is rediscovering how much fun it is to read children's books.

My boys and I read all the classics, but also devoured silly books like "They Came from Aargh!". My sons were particularly delighted by books that encouraged them to face and make light of their fears, usually via what I can only call dark humor or mildly scary scenarios.

Of course nowadays I'd probably be arrested for child abuse for intentionally inflicting emotional distress just before bedtime, but my boys would have loved this book:

On balance, it's probably not surprising that both my sons have a slightly twisted sense of humor. How could they not?

What books did you enjoy reading to your children, and why?

Posted by Cassandra at January 19, 2012 06:15 AM

Comments

Posted by: Grim at January 19, 2012 01:00 PM

So glad to see you are back!!!

Mini-Yag is going through his Choo-Choo phase at the moment. We have waited at an old train station (it's a museum now) for 45 minutes in the hope that a train was coming (no luck). We have even chased trains down to get in front of one where we could stop on the side of the road and get out to watch it go by.

Three guesses as to what his favorite book is and the first two don't count: The Little Engine That Could.

The Baby Girl hasn't picked out a favorite yet, and BTW we are expected our third in June.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 19, 2012 03:56 PM

YAG!!! :)

My oldest grandpunk (the erstwhile Burrito) is completely obsessed by trains.

Congratulations on the miniYAG-in-progress! Do we get to name him/her?

(just kidding)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 19, 2012 05:04 PM

Do we get to name him/her?

*shudder*

You say this in the same post where you're bragging about your twisted sense of humor? I love you all, but I also know you all.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 19, 2012 05:27 PM

One of the coolest things about being stationed in Barstow was that it's a major rail hub. One of the "things most missed" about that duty station was standing outside watching the sunset, picking up the sound of the train engines on the wind loooong before it ever came into sight and then hearing the whistle as it went through the various crossings on it's way into town.

Congrats on the newest Bump, YAG!
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 19, 2012 05:28 PM

"... you're bragging about your twisted sense of humor?"

I'm so glad you said something first. I've been biting my *tongue* all damn day!
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 19, 2012 05:30 PM

Roaring Camp Railroad, in Santa Cruz, CA. Took Jonathan up there a couple of times for a train ride. He loved it.

Books? Mary Poppins. Acerbic wit with a self-centered nanny. Julie Andrews made her seem totally loveable. Beatrix Potter. Dark humor? Indeed. The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is fraught with suspense, not to mention the Tale of Tom Kitten.

Of course, there is the usual Winnie-the-Pooh. I still collect children's books. One that is a favorite is 'Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.' 'Where the Wild Things Are.' Just to show you how literature affects children, my daughter came up to me and said in her Very Best British accent: "I can talk to parents. They whisper things...Is that normal for someone like me?"

*sniff* I am so proud.

Posted by: Carolyn at January 22, 2012 12:20 AM

...but also devoured silly books like "They Came from Aargh!"

There's a book about JoA, Dusty, and *moi*?

*quietly proud, even though the author obviously didn't use spell-check*

Welcome back! Where'd you hide the trivet this time...?

Posted by: BillT at January 22, 2012 08:51 AM

I read the older not-as-obviously-preachy Dr. Seuss books. My youngest loved 'The Grinch' - possibly because I do a passable Boris Karloff. My favorite is 'Horton Hatches the Egg' because .. well the pictures. And the importance of doing the right thing no matter what.

That was the first-ever book my grandson heard - at a day old in the neo-natal ward, teenie-tiny preemie. You're never too early to hear stories, I say. Also: when he's cranky I can hold him and recite that poem and it settles him right down.

My kids fondly remember a book called 'Flooty Hobbs and the Jiggling Jolly Gollywobber'. It's one of those 'put your child's name here for $' books, but my wife got a sales copy that was just the story. My oldest daughter remembers it so well she hunted high and low for a copy for -her- first child. Flooty is a monster, the worst monster of all .. but he's just a shadow in the night and that's nothing to be scared of.

When they got older we plowed through the 'classics' - Treasure Island, Just So Stories, a lot of Roald Dahl.

Posted by: Brian Dunbar at January 23, 2012 08:32 AM

I have so many good memories of my Dad reading Dr. Seuss books to me as a wee Editorial Staff :p

It's surprising (or maybe not) how many times I've recalled a line from Seuss when faced with the temptation to take the easy path:

"...but an elephant's faithful: 100 percent"

I can think of far worse words to live by.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 23, 2012 09:14 AM

No kids, but my dad used to read "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" to us. I also liked "The Copy Kitten," about a kitten who had lost her mother and went around trying to look like the other animals -- there was a picture of her stretching her neck to emulate a giraffe.

Later I loved fairy tales of all sorts, Black Beauty, and the Tarzan books, until my father got me hooked on science fiction.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 23, 2012 11:59 AM