« Fairness, Emotion, and the Republican Brand | Main | Should The Internet Be A Law Free Zone? »

February 06, 2012

No Posts Today

Sorry - out of town yesterday for a SuperBowl party and no Internet access this morning.

Will be back tomorrow.

Update: You can blame this one on one of the assembled villainry telling me it's time for yet another caption contest I have no intention of judging:

I take that as an offer to judge this one.... heh.

Posted by Cassandra at February 6, 2012 09:31 AM

Comments

Oooooooo, and you left comments open.....
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 6, 2012 01:32 PM

[snide remarks about the football game]

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at February 6, 2012 03:41 PM

Actually, Eric, I thought it was one of the more competitive games that the Super Bowl has served up lately. Granted, I didn't have any skin in this game as I am neither a Patriots nor Giants fan.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 6, 2012 04:17 PM

[snide remarks about the football game]

Like Sly, I had no dog in this particular hunt, but that said...

"Ppppppphhhhttttthththththth.... :)"

Posted by: Cassandra at February 6, 2012 04:38 PM

"I take that as an offer to judge this one.... heh"

I'll believe it when I see it.
Of course, you never said *when* the judging would occur, so I s'pose I'll just have to wait and see when Mephistopheles goes shopping for mukluks.

Posted by: Sir Thomas of Doubt at February 6, 2012 05:53 PM

I thought it was one of the more competitive games

Indeed, it was, Sly. And the right team won, for a number of reasons.

Which some might take as a snide remark.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at February 6, 2012 06:29 PM

I'm hearin' someone say, "OOOOHHHH!!! I really want to judge the next caption contest" :p

******

When Eli first retired from professional football, he worried about finding a job that used all of his aptitudes. He needn't have worried...

/running for the barricades!!!!

Posted by: Cassandra at February 6, 2012 06:39 PM

A truck with a MA plate and a Giants fan - wasn't MA in new England?

The 49er playoffs - 2 mistakes cost them the game - but the world of sports is filled with "shoulda and coulda"

I think that Gisela Bundchen is a little over the top -

Posted by: Bill Brandt at February 7, 2012 08:39 AM

I think that Gisela Bundchen is a little over the top....

She did, though, elide Brady's brain-dead safety in the first quarter--two points that lengthened the field by 30 critical yards for those last 57 seconds.

And of course, as is the case in other milieus, the Giants had a vote on the outcome.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at February 7, 2012 09:23 AM

I don't know which to savor more: The Giants salvaging their mediocre season by besting the best teams and winning it all, or hall-of-famer Giselle Bundtcake whining about the ineptness of her poor husband Tom's receivers.

Helluva season. Now bring on the baseball.

Posted by: spd rdr - born this way at February 7, 2012 09:58 AM

I said, "Back off! Or I'll release my valve and fart in your general direction."

Posted by: DL Sly at February 7, 2012 10:03 AM

"She's not far wrong. A couple of Brady's passes in the 4th quarter were blatantly dropped by normally reliable receivers."

I don't know about that. Between the stupid safety to start the game, don't forget about the interception that Brady threw inside the red zone. Even if they don't get the touchdown, that's at least three points left on the field. Seems to me that, even had his receivers caught everything thrown to them, Brady is the one who put his team in the position to lose.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 7, 2012 10:15 AM

Just shows that losing, like winning, is a team effort in a team industry.

All the defense had to do, too, was give up one touchdown less.

And there's that pesky other team on the field.

Posted by: E Hines at February 7, 2012 11:54 AM

Between the stupid safety to start the game...

Hey, now! It's been a longstanding desire of mine to see a safety in the Super Bowl. The only thing that would have made that better for me is if he'd actually been sacked in the end zone.

Posted by: Grim at February 7, 2012 12:10 PM

"The only thing that would have made that better for me is if he'd actually been sacked in the end zone."

Which is why I call it a stupid safety. He knew he was still in the pocket, he knew he was a split-second from being sacked. He panicked and committed a rookie mistake.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 7, 2012 12:39 PM

There were a number of "rookie" mistakes in that game that I couldn't believe. EACH team had a 12 men on the field penalty. Not a guy caught in transition... 12 men SET on the field. How do you not catch that? A High School team? Maybe. College or Pros? That's just an overall failure on the team; players and coaches alike.

My "disturbing" take away from the game was this:

That's Tom Brady's face. Measure his head from his eyebrows to the crown of his head. Now measure from his eyebrows to the end of his chin.

O_o

!!!

Dude's got a messed up head. And it's not just that picture... take a look at any of them face on.

Posted by: MikeD at February 7, 2012 12:50 PM

"All the defense had to do, too, was give up one touchdown less."

And that, sir, was the Patriot's Achilles Heel all season long. It's why, even though the Bronco's were starting a very young, very inexperienced quarterback, the Pats were originally only given the standard three point margin for being the home team on the opening lines at Vegas. I mean, this is a defense that gave up 24 pts to Miami - twice!, 34 pts to Buffalo and 27 pts to Washington. In fact, in all but five games this past season, their defense gave up at least 20 pts. Not a promotional bellringer there.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 7, 2012 12:53 PM

"He needn't have worried..."

Ok, I'll say it....someone needs a spanking. Although, I'm pretty sure MH would love to have the last one. The VES is growing up waaaayyyy too quickly.
0>;~}