« The Blog Princess is a Giant Dork | Main | Obama Still Doesn't Get the Military He Commands »

May 08, 2012

Medical Receptionists are Crushing My Soul

I will be back tomorrow or Thursday morning. Sleepy, and typing is still difficult.

On the positive side, I now know why John Milton wrote Paradise Lost (and why I was forced to read it 4 times in HS and college).

I am sure he was trying to get an ortho appointment in Fredneck... Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

D'oh! That's Dante. Another ortho patient from the People's Republic of Maryland, presumably.

Posted by Cassandra at May 8, 2012 02:00 PM

Comments

Well, don't fret. Think how much better things will be when Obamacare starts up in 2014. And likely as not, you'll still be waiting!

Posted by: Grim at May 8, 2012 02:37 PM

Tell me about it :)

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 8, 2012 02:49 PM

Some of it is attitude. And no, this comment isn't directed at you, Deer--I mean Batslayer.

My GP has a full practice, and so she's not taking new patients, at least of the walk-in type.

When I need an appointment, though, on a (relative) spur of the moment, I get a pretty prompt one (usually same day, even), but on those occasions, I get to see her Med Tech--a person between a nurse and a doctor, qualified to deal with minor ailments and issue prescriptions for minor drugs for those ailments. Works fine for me; I assume the Med Tech wouldn't be on the payroll if she were killing patients.

I also have a friend who was getting really crappy treatment from one of those holistic quacks, so at my request my full-up GP took on one more patient. My friend was satisfied until she needed a spur of the moment appointment, and she got the Med Tech.

No thank you. Not good enough for her. My friend went to another doctor after that.

Of course qualified Med Techs are harder to come by--and to license--in the specialties.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at May 8, 2012 05:19 PM

By the bye, do we conclude from your post that your bone doctor has a WiFi hotspot in his waiting room?

How did you schlep your laptop around with your busted collar bone?

[g]

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at May 8, 2012 05:21 PM

Best wishes M'lady for prompt, courteous and effective treatment, from one who hopes he never, ever has to see a doctor, especially an orthopedic or surgical type doctor again.

"How did you schlep your laptop around with your busted collar bone?"

It's amazing what you can do on one of them there new-fangled, ensmartened cell phones given the motivation, patience, focus unencumbered by [whoopee-no-pain-]medication and dexterity.

Posted by: bthun at May 8, 2012 06:39 PM

[whoopee-no-pain-]medication and dexterity.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at May 8, 2012 07:30 PM

"[whoopee-no-pain-]medication and dexterity.

Isn't that an oxymoron?"

Without the focus unencumbered by qualifier? Sho nuff...

Posted by: bthun at May 8, 2012 08:44 PM

I mostly see a Physician Assistant; it's gotten to the point that I call the clinic and ask to see her, rather than which ever doctor the insurance thinks is my "primary". If it's minor, she fixes me up, if it's outside of her range, she sends me to the appropriate specialists, or to whichever of the clinic's MDs she thinks is best capable of handling my complaint. For the last decade and a half, I think she's been the best doctor I've ever had.

The clinic has wi-fi but it's not available to patients; it's for the use of the staff and doctors. They had a public link available but bad things were done with it and it went away. :(

More healing wishes sent your way, Lady Batslayer. Sweet dreams.

Posted by: htom at May 8, 2012 08:51 PM

"Fredneck"?

(I thought only my lovely bride still called it that.)

Posted by: Consul-At-Arms at May 8, 2012 09:35 PM

Years ago I tore up my knee skiing. Actually there was some cosmic justice to it as I was taking my cousin visiting from WV skiing for the first time. I kept razzing my aunt saying that I would bring her back no matter what shape she was in. Well, everytime I have bragged to my aunt about how "good" a golfer I was (I wasn't), or how "good" a skier I was (not exactly Jean Claude Killey) - well, God - or someone - makes sure I fall on my....

Well, last run of the day I am daydreaming - hit a mogul sideways (a large bump made by skiers over the days) - anyway I am bouncing like a ball on my back halfway down the mountain. ]]So my cousin drove me back, and my uncle never let me forget it.

Anyway my orthopedic surgeon was named Dr Slaughter.

He had a habit of booking me for 10AM appts and not being able to see me until 3.

This was a long time ago....

Anyway Cass, this too shall pass!

Posted by: Bill Brandt at May 8, 2012 10:04 PM

I thought only my lovely bride still called it that.

It is said with great affection. The amusing thing about all of this is that I am driving to Hagarstown for my appointment :p

Eric, I was dealing with receptionists from home yesterday. I'd bore you all with the details, but I'm saving my typing mojo for a post.

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 9, 2012 08:46 AM

When I have to deal with bureaucrats on the phone, especially of the medical variety, my inner terrorist starts to peak out.

Posted by: Texan99 at May 9, 2012 05:12 PM

...my inner terrorist starts to peak out.

Is that like tach'ing out?

Posted by: Grim at May 9, 2012 05:30 PM

Apparently! I did try to post to correct that spelling error as soon as I read it, but somehow it didn't take. Because of course I meant to say "pique out."

Posted by: Texan99 at May 9, 2012 08:22 PM