« "So... What Did You Do At Work Today, Sweetie?" | Main | Medical Receptionists are Crushing My Soul »

May 07, 2012

The Blog Princess is a Giant Dork

Sorry for the lack of bloviation. The Princess had an exciting weekend.

Saturday morning, the Spousal Unit Princess bagged a bat (!) in the grille of her black Subaru WRX.

black_subaru.jpg
The Batmobile

Later that day the Spousal Unit and I were enjoying a glass of wine on the patio when the birds started going crazy. We looked over in our neighbor's yard and there was a 4 foot black snake shimmying (or whatever it is that tree climbing snakes do) up a tree trunk.

I have pictures but need to get them off the camera.

But the grand finale was Sunday morning, when the Dorkitorial Staff somehow managed to take a nasty fall and break her collar bone and ankle.

So now you all know that my real name is definitely not "Grace". Not sure how much posting there will be this week. Am taking a few days off from work for dr.'s appts, etc. We'll see how it goes.

So.... what did you all do this weekend?

Posted by Cassandra at May 7, 2012 10:36 AM

Comments

Well, i took my car club on a neat drive yesterday - to an all-but-forgotten CA Gold Rush town -

Believe it or not they only got phone lines in 2 years ago and don't have power (they use generators).

I told the bartender with the new phone lines "It's all downhill from here".

(a) You have a WRX and (b) don't run in terror from bats or black snakes -

One you have a cool car and don't fall into the male stereotypical female (I don't care what the car is as long as it's pink" and (b) Apparently don't panic at the sight of a mouse. (another stereotype broken)

Posted by: Bill Brandt at May 7, 2012 11:46 AM

Ouch! I knew that you'd do anything to avoid attending the try outs for my summer-stock production of "Cirque du Soleil," but, really, killing an innocent bat? Too much.

On a related note, I saw Daughter #3 get her law school diploma on Saturday. Her first words to me after the ceremony were (no lie): "Now I get to speak at the dinner table too!" We'll see. I mean she still has to pass the bar exam.

Get well, Princess. I'm holding a spot on the trapeze act open for you.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 7, 2012 11:50 AM

Hmmmm......all of those wonderful jibes tossed my way about broken body parts these past coupla years and now my revenge is sitting there waiting for me to grasp it....but I can't, cause I know how it feels to have broken body parts.
Get better soon.
There is a grin or two in your inbox, btw.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at May 7, 2012 12:00 PM

The bat thing was very odd. I don't remember hitting one, but it was wedged up just under the Suburu logo. I think it had been there a day or two.

I like the WRX, Bill. It is fun to drive when bats don't commit suicide on my grille :)

Congratulations, mr rdr!

No one in my family has a law degree, but that doesn't stop up from holding forth :p

You must be very proud!

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 7, 2012 12:02 PM

Thanks, DL SLy. I saw your emails yesterday on my phone while I was in the waiting room, but was kind of out of it so I didn't reply. When we got home, I just kind of crashed on the sofa.

Will catch up hopefully later today :)

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 7, 2012 12:03 PM

Bats, snakes, and broken bones Oh My!! Somehow dealing with a flat tire due to rough mountain rocks (on the new road we're building) and a cattle guard attacking the same tire, putting in new ceiling lights, and hosting 50+ people for my daughter's soccer team kinda pales in comparison. LOL Get to feeling better!

Posted by: Nina at May 7, 2012 12:04 PM

spd, that's great news about D#3! One question, though, are you seriously suggesting that you have several daughters and you get to get a word or three in at the dinner table? How the hell did you do that?! I have one and can't get a word in edge-wise. Of course, there is a reason why she's called the Verbal Exchange Student.....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at May 7, 2012 12:06 PM

"somehow managed to take a nasty fall and break her collar bone and ankle."

Oh no M'lady! I hope The Unit will prepare a half gallon of daiquiri or similar and you'll follow instructions to stay put and focus on R&R so you're back in black(WRX) soon, if not sooner, soonest, etc.!

"what did you all do this weekend?"
Finished turning the vegetable garden, planted maters, squish, peppers - a diversity-, and bush beans...

Performed preventative maintenance on various home/garden devices along with pickemup and one iddy biddy vehicle.

Ate and drank with little to no regard for health or wellbeing*, which took me back to my twenties and shortly afterwards made me wonder how I survived to be thirty.

Howled loudly at big moon Saturday evening around about 12M, just to let the neighbors know I was comfortable in my hair and fangs while WB was elsewhere. =8^}

Congrats to the Rdr's!

* Walkin' Boss was participating in a high zoot equine event elsewhere, so no adult supervision was resident at the Hun hovel for most of the week/weekend. Yippie ki-yay, or words to that effect!

Posted by: bthun at May 7, 2012 12:14 PM

I just went to the Renn Faire this weekend, I did not attempt to shatter my bones like some. Hope you mend soon!

Posted by: MikeD at May 7, 2012 12:17 PM

...my revenge is sitting there waiting for me to grasp it....but I can't...

Wait, what? Sly is passing up an opportunity for snark and revenge?

I may need to sit down.

(Get well, Cass. Sorry about the bad luck!)

Posted by: Grim at May 7, 2012 01:07 PM

Spd:

Congratulations to your daughter! And to you, as well.

Posted by: Grim at May 7, 2012 01:09 PM

Sounds like you all had more fun than I did :)

Grim, I am comforting myself that at least I did not get sat upon by a horse :)

/running for the barricades

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 7, 2012 01:45 PM

But we expect even greater output, since you're chained to the couch and have nothing better to do than entertain us. We'll forgive a certain stoned quality.

Posted by: Texan99 at May 7, 2012 01:47 PM

...by a horse :)

Oh, good. I was feeling light-headed there for a moment, but now my sense of stability has returned.

My young first cousin just graduated from college, and had a baby in the same month. I'm planning to ride up and see her soon -- I expect she's probably feeling as bad from all that good news as you are from all the bad news.

Posted by: Grim at May 7, 2012 02:01 PM

Drill weekend - Saturday I ran a PT test and did some QA work, Sunday took some Colonels up to Flagstaff via terrain flight largely below the military crests of the local terrain. ("I didn't know a Blackhawk could fly on its side like that...")

Hope you recover quickly. At least you had a better weekend than the bat. :-)

Posted by: Pogue at May 7, 2012 02:12 PM

*slides a bar stool over to Grim, hands him a beer*

"We'll forgive a certain stoned quality."

Actually, I'm looking forward to it.
heh

"/running for the barricades"

Yeah, like that's gonna get ya far. Even I could outrun you right now.

Feeling better now, Grim?
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at May 7, 2012 02:21 PM

Weekend as usual. Weeded the yard on Saturday. On Sunday, tried out my new battery-powered mower, having fired my landscaper/lawn mower.

Spent both days first disinfecting my continent of Egyptians and Russians, then, on another continent, went about disabusing the Indians, Chinese, Incas, and Aztecs of their quaint notion that what was theirs was theirs.

Wrote some.

Congrats to Rdr D-3. That's not one of the easier degrees to pick up.

/running for the barricades

There's an optimistic claim....

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at May 7, 2012 02:56 PM

My weekend wasn't at all exciting. I was feeling kind of bad about that but now ...

Feel better soon!

Posted by: Elise at May 7, 2012 03:23 PM

I hit a puff bird once with an old Chevy S-10 pickup truck. I knew it was a puff bird because when I stopped to pick up what was left of my grille off the road, tweren't nothing left put a couple of feathers in the radiator. It just went *Puff* as soon as it hit.

As for my weekend, well, with a 3 year old, a 19 month old and a 7.5 month pregant wife (who looks like a toothpick with an olive stuck on her) what do you *think* I was doing.

No, I was *not* drinking heavily. That's a scurrilous lie with no *hic* basis in *hic* fact *hic*.

Did give Mini-Yag his first summer buzz-cut, though. Momma's still in mourning that she can't ruffle his hair anymore.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 7, 2012 04:46 PM

Awwwww :) There is nothing cuter than a little boy with a big boy haircut. I always kept my boys' hair fairly short (not a Marine cut, but more like a Navy haircut) because it was so much easier to keep them somewhat clean... when they weren't playing in the mud or climbing trees or other opportunities to get all hot and sweaty.

I hit a goose once when I was driving with the kids from SC to DC. It was about 4 in the morning and I definitely knew I had hit something big. Flew right in front of my car on 95.

But other than the odd nut buffalo, I have not created much road kill.

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 7, 2012 05:28 PM

Babies are often inconvenient, but they are always cause for celebration, even if they don't seem so at the time.

Little miracles.

Posted by: Batmobile!!! at May 7, 2012 05:30 PM

Weekend. Crazy Saturday morning, one of those "we should really have two cars" things, go here, go there, go the other, finally together about three, but it was stormy so we came home. Talked to Spice about the presentations I'm going to make at the state fair this fall, got that a little organized, and then the tornado sirens went off. So down to the basement, where we sheltered, me making excursions upstairs for items required by another member of the basement occupation. Yesterday digging dandelions out of the lawn.

Get well soon and comfortably, ma'am. Pain is ... a pain.

A black WRX? Shhh. Don't give Spice ideas. What am I saying? This one car thing was her idea!

Posted by: htom at May 7, 2012 06:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your nasty spill. I'm suring drinking wine and shimmying up trees after snakes is dangerous. Unlike riding unicycles and whatnot.

Posted by: man riding unicycle naked at May 7, 2012 06:44 PM

Last weekend? Back up in the attic, re-routing wires to ceiling lights, "sistering" split ceiling joists, then on to staging insulation for later.

[the original 1920s ceiling joists were 2x4s, a bit small but OK when the only roof load is one layer of cedar shakes. When electricity came in, they drilled 1/2" holes through several joists, put in hollow ceramic spacers and ran the separated wires (one hot, one neutral, no ground) through the spacers to power the lights. Then, eighty years of other owners put asphalt shingles on top of the cedar shakes. The FOURTH asphalt shingle layer was collapsing the trusses, when I came along. I took off four layers of asphalt shingles and the original cedar shakes, put back particle board, tar paper and ONE layer of asphalt shingles; probably cut the roof load 75%. Now I'm repairing damage done over the years of layer-by-layer abuse. Next time, buy a newer house!)

Next weekend? Lay in the fiberglass mat insulation, run modern 3-conductor cable to power a new 20-amp service for the microwave, and consider how to restore the kitchen ceiling. Isn' home ownership grand?

Posted by: Jim at May 7, 2012 06:51 PM

My weekend? Went to a high school trackmeet that was rained out, puttered around the house, re-hung the closet doors after laying a new wood floor in the kitchen last winter and...

YOU BROKE YOUR COLLARBONE AND ANKLE!

WHAT!!!

Let's try and be careful out there, dear. Heal up real soon, and take your time about it (does that make sense).

Congratulations to Lawyer spd rdr. We have mocked him and his 19 daughters on numerous occasions, but he must be awfully proud to have fathered such a beautiful and intelligent brood of children. I'm sure Mrs. rdr deserves much of the credt, :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at May 7, 2012 10:21 PM

Holy crap, woman. My weekend was boring. I can't even dress it up to make it seem not boring. But at least all of my bones are in 1 piece...hope the healing happens fast!

Posted by: HomefrontSix at May 7, 2012 10:38 PM

"Batmobile" (hehehe)(chortle)(snort)

Hmm, can I use you as an argument as to why I should sleep in until noon on Sunday?

Posted by: yak at May 8, 2012 12:33 AM

This weekend... about 300 feet of baseboard, casing, and whoseitwhatzit, stained and varnished.

Finally, I'll be done with the kitchen remodel.

About a quarter way through she comes out and asks if I want a Corona. "Well sure I'd love one."

Sprrtts, the bottle opens, I take a big swig, and she says, "you want some help or is this man stuff?" Hey wait a darn minute!

She then goes and says, "BTW, you want to start building a crib, one of the kids is going to need it."

Honey, that beer is gone do you want another one?

Posted by: Allen at May 8, 2012 02:05 AM

Allen, congratulations, I think?

Posted by: Texan99 at May 9, 2012 05:13 PM

MRUN:

Sorry to hear about your recent difficulties.

Posted by: Grim at May 10, 2012 10:27 PM

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 11, 2012 09:52 AM

I guess that's what I get for not refreshing my browser: A day late.

Now where's that dollar? It was around here somewhere.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 11, 2012 09:54 AM

You can build a crib? I *am* impressed! :)

So.... is someone expecting?

Posted by: Cass at May 11, 2012 11:05 AM

GEt well soon, Miss Cass.

My weekend? I drove to Donovan's joint(8hrs) and they worked me like a dog. Drove back to work like a dog(8hrs). My nose is wet and cold, and so everything is likely fine.

Okay, you're even clumsier than I am if you can break an ankle and a collar bone near simultaneously, and I'm pretty bad. ;)

Posted by: ry at May 14, 2012 08:20 PM