« Angry Rhetoric Alert!!! | Main | Conceal Your Shock »

June 11, 2012

Blogging Notes

The Editorial Staff wish to apologize for the lack of blogging of late. We find it hard to concentrate when our leg is being munched by a stuffed crocodile.

Please give us a day or two to clean up the severe infestation of small, noisy boys plaguing Villa Cassandranita and we'll be back to bore the villainry senseless with our inane ramblings mid-week.

Posted by Cassandra at June 11, 2012 09:28 AM

Comments

So you're distracted by adorable offspring, why should we suffer?

Posted by: Texan99 at June 11, 2012 10:16 AM

After an enjoyable period of time spent playing with, enjoying their youthful exuberance, and making every effort to overindulge the wee ones, if the parents retire to their domicile with the wee ones, that is a mission accomplished if every I heard of one...

Life is good.

Posted by: bthun at June 11, 2012 11:39 AM

...munched by a stuffed crocodile.

First thing I thought of when I read that was the enormous itching from your ankle in a cast--brought forth by memories of my wrist and hand in a cast too many years ago.

But rug rats and curtain climbers? Hmm....

Enjoy them while you can. As you've discovered with your direct brood, they grow up and move away entirely too quickly.

But I'm with T99, too. Whatever happened to multitasking?

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at June 11, 2012 12:12 PM

"So you're distracted by adorable offspring, why should we suffer?"

I didn't realize you typed with your feet.....that explains we much.
Course, this means that I no longer feel the need to dodge, skip, run or any other form of movement more energetic than a slow amble after tossing the oh-so-infrequent snark grenade.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 11, 2012 02:52 PM

Multi-tasking: keeping up with more than one grandchild at a time. I hope you're having a grand time!

Posted by: htom at June 11, 2012 11:59 PM

Speaking of body parts, how's the broken bits? Mending nicely?

Posted by: MikeD at June 12, 2012 09:12 AM

severe infestation of small, noisy boys

I've never heard quite so accurate analogy!

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 12, 2012 11:58 AM

"Three more days (unless God has other plans) 'till Mini-Yag or Yagette becomes outnumbered."

Best wishes for Mom and Mini-Y-to-be healthy, whole and happy...

And of course you too Mr. YAG, whether you're relegated to waiting in the lounge
or, if you are to be there to hold her hand, mop her brow, and chant breathe, repeatedly... Well, I'll just leave you with these words of wisdom ...

Posted by: Hank at June 12, 2012 06:57 PM

Oooo, a birth day pool!!

I say Mini-Yag 2.0, on the the 14th.
And, of course, my congrats on the blessing soon to come.

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 12, 2012 09:27 PM

The infestation proved more than equal to even my legendary multi-tasking skills :p

Speaking of body parts, how's the broken bits? Mending nicely?

Pretty darned well, so far :)

My collarbone seems to be back to normal - I got rid of the sling two weeks ago and have been using my arm (even to lift the Grandpunks). The ankle is still mending but hopefully the doc will let me get rid of the boot this week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Posted by: Cass at June 13, 2012 08:04 AM

Watching your offspring being plagued by a pesky little brother or sister is one of the signal pleasures of parenting, second only to that exquisite period of time during the teen years when a parent need only breathe in and out quietly to cause his or her offspring the most severe embarrassment :p

Enjoy the new arrival - babies are little miracles :)

Posted by: Cass at June 13, 2012 08:09 AM

Oooo, a birth day pool!!

Well, it's a scheduled C-Section if that changes the bets. We're to be at the hospital at 5am. *blech*

...to cause his or her offspring the most severe embarrassment :p

Oh, I've already started storing a cache of embarrasement. Check your email shortly.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 13, 2012 12:31 PM

Will do as soon as I get back from the orthopaedist (is that even a word?)!

Posted by: Cass at June 13, 2012 01:28 PM

I prefer to call them "The second highest ranking Sadists in the Medical Profession".

The first are physical therapists.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 13, 2012 03:40 PM

I prefer to call [orthopods] "The second highest ranking Sadists in the Medical Profession".

I disagree. When I blew up an ankle in college, I gimped it to the local orthopod. When I told him of the injury, the first thing he did was grab my ankle and squeeze it as hard as he could. "That hurt?" he asked.

At least the PTs are qualified with their racks and whips.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at June 13, 2012 05:34 PM

Yikes!

I think medicine has changed quite a bit since we were young :p It's a kindler, gentler profession nowadays.

When I was just a lass of 16 or 17, I was working out at the gym at ODU (gymnastics) and dislocated my hip. Actually, it's more accurate to say that it popped in and out whilst I was showing of... err... attempting to do the Chinese splits.

The doctors really couldn't have been less nice or helpful - the first thing they did was take my leg and try to push it as far as they could, resulting in a very impressive hematoma that I didn't have before that, and probably some additional muscle and ligament injury...and that was after making me walk up to get my medical record because Lord knows we wouldn't want my mother to see what was inside it (privacy and all that, doncha know) and they couldn't hand it to the corpsman who called me up and then walked me to the doctor's office. No, I had to walk up there, walk back, then walk up again.

*sigh*

This time around it was really pretty amazing. No painful rehab (but then neither break was that serious to begin with and I healed quickly) and the doctors and nurses at both facilities could not have been nicer.

I feel very lucky - aside from the annoyance factor, this really hasn't been bad at all. Anyone, one more week for the boot and then I can start strengthening it up again.

Posted by: Cass at June 13, 2012 05:48 PM

"The doctors really couldn't have been less nice or helpful..."

During my spinal cord post-op oops period I encountered a few of those, along with a few who are a credit to their profession.

Unfortunately, my mostest favorite doc gave up the practice to teach. She said teaching medicine was more profitable, in all the ways that were important to her... =8^{

Physical therapy is, IMHO, S&M sessions that prove pain is just weakness leaving the body, all paid for by most insurance providers.

Posted by: bthun at June 13, 2012 08:23 PM

do the Chinese splits

OK, I had to look that one up to be sure we weren't getting a PC violation here....

I can't claim anything as ridiculous as that. But I do agree about military medicine. I opened my finger with a chisel while I was in the Air Force. It was a sharp tool, so there was no pain; the only reason I took it to the base ER was because I couldn't get the bleeding to stop (although I did succeed in not dripping all over my walnut, or my wife's carpet). One of the worst pains I've ever felt was when the corpsman was rooting around inside the slit in my finger with his hypo, looking for a likely place to shoot me up.

But today, my GP not only is a very good and patient doctor, she's a fox.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at June 13, 2012 08:29 PM

50/50 with my mil-med experiences...

Once had minor surgery, smashing success, no complaints. Also awoke to a very attractive nurse attending me in recovery. Well helloooooo nurse!

Shortly before I was to be released from active duty, I decided to have the three remaining wisdom teeth in my head, which needed to be pulled at some point anywho, removed by the Navy dentist... Save money doncha know. If only I'd seen his movie prior to the surgery, I'd have waited.

Posted by: bthun at June 13, 2012 08:42 PM

...the first thing he did was grab my ankle and squeeze it as hard as he could. "That hurt?" he asked.

When I was about 17 or 18, I had a bone tumor in my right hand. The middle joint of my trigger finger had to be entirely removed, and rebuilt with bone shaved from my right wrist. My hand was immobilized in a cast for months.

Finally the cast came off, removed by my doctor -- an older gentleman who looked much like this, except with a wild white beard.

He said to me, "Bend your finger."

I exerted every effort, and it bent perhaps a millimeter.

He shook his head, and said, "No, like this!" Then he grabbed it, and bent it double.

I was young enough that my father had come with me. He later expressed great alarm at the way I came up off the table, although of course I would never have struck an older gentleman.

Posted by: Grim at June 14, 2012 12:05 AM

Just thinking about doing those makes my ankles, knees, and hips ache. I could try to work up to that, I suppose, in a year or two ... no.

The look on some people's faces if I could ... no.

My horror stories of military medicine are all about other people having woes (and some were horrible.) That reminds me, I should have gotten a letter from the VA two months ago.

Congrats, Yu-Ain, I hope all goes well.

Glad you're healing well, Cass.

Posted by: htom at June 14, 2012 12:44 AM

Well, my ortho experiences are nearly 15-20 years out of date myself. Once I took off the Tools of Ignorance, the pain stopped. It's a miracle!

Every one of them have been excellent, knowledgable, and competant doctors: I have no complaints on that score. They have universally done great work.

But I had near the same experience Grim had with a broken finger. Except my doc was a little lady that couldn't have been over 5'2" and 115 pounds soaking wet. She yanked on a broken finger (that was so swollen I couldn't move it) by leaning back so far she would have fallen over had she let go, and then put her thumb on top and bent it backwards!

Gentle was not in her vocabulary.

The knee docs didn't do anything that severe, I just lived in their offices, so they got to make it up on volume.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 14, 2012 11:40 AM