« "On The Other Hand...." | Main | Words. They Have Meanings. »

June 27, 2012

Car Owners of VC, Take Notice

As the proud (former) owner of at least two red cars, the Editorial Staff found this of interest:

When shopping for a car, most buyers ask about fuel efficiency and interest rates. But they likely aren't asking the far more important question of which color will attract the most bird poop.

Luckily, a new study from Great Britain has determined the most bird-poop-prone car color. It's red.

More than 1,100 cars were analyzed over a two-day period in five British cities, and the majority of cars getting bird-bombed were red.

There's a reason Alfred Hitchcock made a film about these creatures.

So what does your car color say about you? There seems to be a lot of confusion on this important issue. This article says that drivers of red cars lack confidence and have an aggressive, high speed personality.

The Editorial Staff are not aggressive and dislike being rushed, though. And our self-confidence (though arguably misplaced) has always been fairly high.

This article says red car drivers are "sexy, speedy, high-energy and dynamic". We like it far better than the first article. Takeaway: if you have a grey car, get one with sparkles.

Posted by Cassandra at June 27, 2012 08:19 AM

Comments

I have a silver car. I chose that color because it has to be REALLY dirty before it begins to show. At least I think that's why I chose silver. I also have three motorcycles, one red, one black, and one yellow. I wonder what it all means. Maybe there's some subconscious thing going on here. Or, maybe it's all just BS.

Posted by: DaleB at June 27, 2012 11:31 AM

We've had several silver cars, one white (but only b/c that's all they had and we were in a hurry), two green, several candy apple red, one black, and one charcoal metallic car.

We're just all diverse and multi-cultural like that ... either that, or we're terribly confused :p

I will confess to being fondest of red and silver/charcoal, but it really depends on how the color looks on the model we're looking at buying.

We've never owned a blue, purpole, orange, bright yellow, brown or beige car. I am sure there is some deeper psychological meaning in all of this.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 27, 2012 12:11 PM

By the way, "purpole" is too a color!

Posted by: Cassandra at June 27, 2012 12:12 PM

Purpole is Plum Crazy!

Posted by: tomg51 at June 27, 2012 12:18 PM

I have four cars.

3 of them are red.

One is an ancient POS ready for the junkyard, and it is red (kind of a scummy faded red).

One is REALLY red, and it's pretty and shiny out in the sun.

The most valuable one is red.

The fastest one is not red.

This is not a riddle.

That is all. Carry on.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 27, 2012 12:35 PM

sometimes a red car is just a red car?

Posted by: MikeD at June 27, 2012 12:39 PM

My car is gold-ish? Sparkly beige? Metallic tan? Something along those lines--I'm terrible at telling colors. I bought it used, and I was primarily looking for something in a reasonable price range, not too old with acceptable mileage, and of a make and model with good reliability. Color wasn't really high on my priority list. It does, however, have the advantage DaleB mentioned--it hardly ever shows dirt. Prior to that I owned a silver car that I also got used. My husband has a navy blue SUV type--don't know why he chose the color.

I remember when I was in New Mexico for a while--there was a really noticeable difference between how much light-colored cars heated up in the sun vs. dark-colored cars.

Posted by: colagirl at June 27, 2012 01:04 PM

Hmm.... I just bought a white Ford. After having driven a white Camry for 7 years. Am I really lacking in self-confidence?

Nor do I think my wife would ever accuse me of being fastidious; although I am accepting donations for my Veyron.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at June 27, 2012 01:16 PM

Hmmm, The Porsche is black, because that was the only color they had left in the model I wanted. The Caravan is white, because we always buy the cheap no options one that the dealers order so they can advertise a low price. (It really makes the salesman's teeth hurt when you insist on the cheapest car and refuse to be up sold, and then pay cash.) The Versa is metallic blue because it was pretty and we liked that color best of the ones they had. (We buy for features - color is secondary.)

Posted by: Pogue at June 27, 2012 01:42 PM

I love looking at other people's cars in pretty colors, especially arrest-me red, but it's too hot here for anything but white.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 27, 2012 01:56 PM

My only hot car ever was white (65 Dart GT convertible!). Actually it was a wreck with 215K miles. My little Toyota truck for the last 15 years is red. My colors make no sense. The truck has seen a lot of bird poop, though.

Posted by: tomg51 at June 27, 2012 02:15 PM

I don't own a car anymore, but my motorcycle is black: the color of 'both clergy and gangsters,' according to your second article. :)

Posted by: Grim at June 27, 2012 02:40 PM