« I Would Kill to Have Written This | Main | Isn't It Ironic? »

June 29, 2012

What Makes a Good Father?

According to these experts, lots of body hair. And tallness. It also helps immensely if you don't kill your children:

A while back, Grim linked to a post listing reasons for not having children. Among them was an assertion that children are boring conversationalists. Only someone who doesn't spend much time talking to real children would say that.

Of all the things I miss about raising my boys, I think I miss talking with them the most. There's something special about seeing the world through a child's eyes. Talking with a child has always reminded me of looking through a kaleidoscope. All of a sudden the pieces of your familiar, boring world are shaken up and something unexpected, beautiful, or just plain funny is revealed in things you long ago started taking for granted.

Posted by Cassandra at June 29, 2012 06:36 AM

Comments

I'm afraid I do think that most kids are boring conversationalists, but someone needs to give those two little black girls their own TV show and a three-movie contract.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 29, 2012 10:12 AM

OMG, that was so adorable. Loved it!

Posted by: Nicki at June 29, 2012 12:09 PM

I think the reason some children are boring to talk to is that people address them with baby talk for the first few years, and then talk down to their kids for the next few years. If you talk to children like people, you'll find that they develop the capacity to respond like a person quite quickly.

That's when you can really benefit from the talks, too. They are approaching the world without our assumptions and background knowledge, which means that they often come to startling observations. They're usually wrong, but they're wrong in interesting ways. It's not boring.

Posted by: Grim at June 29, 2012 01:11 PM

"Of all the things I miss about raising my boys, I think I miss talking with them the most. "

*nods in agreement while wondering where did the time go?*

Posted by: bthun at June 29, 2012 03:26 PM

I was always surprised at the depth and breadth of subjects my boys could discuss.

To be fair, a lot of children clam up when an adult tries to talk with them. My youngest did that when he was small - there were a few people he instinctively felt comfortable with, but if adults came on too strong he just retreated into his shell like a little turtle :p

But if you could get him alone and just keep quiet, he would gradually open up. I loved those times so much.

*nods in agreement while wondering where did the time go?*

It does go by far too quickly, but I'm enjoying the grandpunks. My oldest grandson (The Burrito - 4 years old!) was schooling me about all the different kinds of trucks there are - dump trucks, Mack trucks, tractor trailors, some double hauler kind of truck I've forgotten the name of that they use in Australia. Man, he knew them all.

At the same age, his Dad loved animals. He didn't just know the regular ones - he knew every exotic antelope or bird or mammal. He had them all memorized. I'll never forget taking him to the Smithsonian just after his little brother was born - he was about 3, and as he walked past each display he would say things like, "That's a Thompson's gazelle!" or "Oh look, a salamander".

People were looking at him in disbelief. Funny what catches their interest.

Posted by: Cass at June 29, 2012 03:47 PM

"I'm enjoying the grandpunks. My oldest grandson (The Burrito - 4 years old!) was schooling me about all the different kinds of trucks there are - dump trucks, Mack trucks, tractor trailors, some double hauler kind of truck I've forgotten the name of that they use in Australia. Man, he knew them all."

*That causes a big smile to crack on the hun's mug in spite of Teh Won, Teh Senate, Teh Economy, Teh Shimmer Floor Wax/Dessert-Topping/Penalty/InterstateCommerceRegulatoryWeeniesRunAmok/Tax... and the GOP's/Conservative circular firing squad's most vocal appearance post SCOTUS ruling, right on schedule*

The Huns now have one GrandPunkette, barely six months old. I marvel at the --sudden-- appearance of another generation all the while wondering how the heck did the children become adults so fast and how am I, not to mention Walkin' Boss, now old enough to be a grandgeezers?!

Posted by: bthun at June 29, 2012 06:24 PM

I don't think I knew about the little one, bthun. Belated congratulations to you and your family. I'm hoping to be a young grandfather myself someday. :)

Posted by: Grim at June 30, 2012 02:16 PM

Wow! Congratulations to you and Walkin' Boss, bthun :)

Babies are pretty miraculous when they're your own. Being a grandparent seems even more of a miracle than becoming a parent did.

Posted by: Cass at June 30, 2012 02:21 PM

"I'm hoping to be a young grandfather myself someday. :)"

You've miles to go before you sleep, and promises to keep*... but I hope you do too. =8^}

"Being a grandparent seems even more of a miracle than becoming a parent did."

Indeed it does. A miracle in that everyone involved lived through the raising of the first crop... The second crop --under new management-- ought to be a breeze. =;^}

*So are the endless duties of a father which span from the moment of the child's first breath until last breath of the father, of which I have no doubt Grim, you will prove to be, an exemplary father and Grandfather. Much as I imagine Cass and The Unit have been and continue to be to their offspring.

Yah, it's a wonnerful life...

Posted by: bt_Grandpa-McCoy_hun at June 30, 2012 11:04 PM