« Race, Culture, and Resilience | Main | It Seems That Girls Will Be Girls »

August 21, 2012

More Fact-free Idiocy on Rape

Via Memeorandum, move over, Todd Akin! This time the stupidity is coming from the Left:

There were also, under Rice’s watch, 19,000 reported sexual assaults of women combat troops in the the US Armed Forces every single year. As the Guardian reported, “A female solider in Iraq is more likely to be attacked by a fellow soldier than killed by military fire.”

Please, please learn how to read English (your native language). And do math. I know you really, really want this to be true but your ludicrous assertion was eminently checkable by anyone who knows how to use Google. Or by anyone who knows how to use a calculator.

Women comprise about 14.6% of the armed forces. That gives us a total of just over 200,000 women. The majority of these women (like the majority of men) are not combat forces. In fact, 91% of military jobs don't involve direct combat. So we're down from 200,000 women to possibly 18,000 ... who might be in combat.... assuming men and women were equally likely to serve in combat roles (they're not, but let's be generous here).

Of those 18,000 women who *could* be in combat (if women were even allowed in the combat arms... or were even equally likely to be in combat) this author would like us to believe that 105% were raped ... every year.

Now *that's* what I call a force multiplier.

This assertion is so mind-numbingly stupid that it can be refuted on common sense grounds without resorting to anything so mundane as actually looking up the number of reported rapes. But hey, let's go there anyway.

Last year, on President Obama's watch, there were 3191 reported rapes - a number that is "up dramatically" (64%) from what it was in 2006 when Condi Rice was serving in the Bush adMENistration. We say, "on President Obama's watch", not because we believe Obama actually raped these women or was in any way responsible for the reported rape rate, but to highlight the boneheaded (pun fully intended) suggestion that there's any connection between Condi Rice's tenure and the military rape rate.

Do read the rest of this unintentionally hilarious diatribe. Not sure whether this guy is more upset that one of the first two women admitted was a Black or a conservative, but rarely is this level of fact free self-beclownment attained with a single essay.

It's really quite an achievement.

Posted by Cassandra at August 21, 2012 11:14 AM

Comments

Hmmm, it seems there is an odd correlation. Under Rice's tenure as Sec State rape in the services occurred, and under Hillary Clinton's tenure more rape has occurred. Does this mean women shouldn't be Secretary of State?

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Aieee, the stupid, it burnssss usssss.

Posted by: Allen at August 21, 2012 12:32 PM

I think this calls for a contest! Draw your own illogical and unsupported conclusion from the "data" (the singular of which is 'anecdote')!

Here's mine:

The fact that one of the two women FINALLY admitted to Augusta National is Black proves that all Republicans are racist. And sexist. And that 9/11 was an inside job perpetrated by Teh Jooos.

See? It's so easy!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 21, 2012 01:07 PM

Let's see, now....

Government built that. Yeah, that's it. The Seabees and the Corps of Engineers were out there doing all that buildin' and constructin'. Sure. It's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at August 21, 2012 01:44 PM

Are multiple entries allowed?

The Aurora killer died his hair orange. This absolutely proves that red-headed people all over America are racist misogynists. Who hate little kids. Oh, and the evil Joosss are destroying our banking system.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at August 21, 2012 01:50 PM

Last one, then I'll sit down and shut up (for a bit), for Yu-Ain Gonnano:

There are only a finite number of coin tosses available in the Universe. Each realized toss subtracts from that population and alters, irrevocably, the balance of the options remaining.

The shortest distance in the Universe is the Planck Length. From this and Relativity, we get the shortest time interval in the Universe: the time required for a photon to traverse the Planck Length at the speed of light in a vacuum. We also know that the life of the Universe is finite: in roughly 14 trillion years, it will die a heat death. From this, we know that there is a finite (if somewhat large) number of minimum time intervals in the Universe.

Even if we could complete a coin toss in each of those smallest time intervals (eliding, for the moment, the LIMFAC that is the speed of light and the fact that the diameter of a coin is somewhat longer than the Planck Length, and so a point on the coin's rim will travel farther than a single Planck Length as the coin completes a toss), we still could only complete a finite number of tosses before the Universe ceases.

Thus, there are only a finite number of coin tosses available in the Universe, and so each realized toss subtracts from that population and alters, irrevocably, the balance of the options remaining.

And that's why the matter/anti-matter ratio is so imbalanced--anti-matter lost the early coin tosses.

And that's why conservatives are all misogynistic racists.

QED.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at August 21, 2012 02:15 PM

I think people should have to get a license before they're permitted to use numbers. (I make exceptions to libertarian principles whenever convenient.)

"What else floats?"

Posted by: Texan99 at August 21, 2012 02:18 PM

Oh, absolutely! The more, the merrier :)

Let see:

Before 1997, there had never been a single, solitary Black or a woman as Secretary of State. Since then, 4 of the 5 have been black, female or both. 3 women, 2 blacks, one pasty white dude.

Inexplicably, peace, global harmony and social justice have failed to bust out all over. If I didn't know better, I'd begin to lose my faith that a world with more women in positions of powah will be a veritable paradise for the oppressed masses.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 21, 2012 02:37 PM

You just can't make this stuff up. I just read that one of the Misfits from the Potomac is not personally aware of any girl subjected to statuatory rape who became pregnant. But, he'd be happy to discuss the issue. You don't know this? Really?

And, I'm still looking for the definition of rape-rape. I'm actually starting to think fluoridation did do something.

Posted by: Allen at August 21, 2012 02:53 PM

And, I'm still looking for the definition of rape-rape.

Sounds like a gang thing, to me. Maybe the woman never left the 'hood....

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at August 21, 2012 04:22 PM

Yes the guy who made the comment is not being "rational" (Do I get points for understatement?). Never-the-less, I do think that recently there has been a real fogging of the lines between actual rape and morning after ("I was really drunk andI didn't know what I was doing") morning after regret.I do remember when rape was punishable by death.Those times were, in some ways, more civilized and safer IMO.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at August 21, 2012 07:05 PM

Absolutely - you'll get no argument from me on that score! In fact, my past posts on this issue have dealt fairly harshly with women who want women to have it both ways (we should be protected, even from ourselves but somehow we should be fully equal and free to make mistakes). Freedom and equality imply a commensurate exercise of responsibility.

I'm not sure the old way was better - there were too many folks willing to blame the victim for being forcibly knocked off her pedestal. But I am thoroughly disgusted with people of both sexes who want to be protected from their own mistakes, but also want all the freedom that goes with not being protected.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 21, 2012 07:27 PM

Isn't that what football helmets are for? Or "sports" bras in the Lingerie Football League?

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at August 21, 2012 08:20 PM

License without discipline or consequences. A recipe for disaster every time.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at August 22, 2012 08:54 AM

Zirin. The Nation. Idiocy.

No assembly required. The stupid goes in before the name goes on.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 22, 2012 09:09 AM

(I make exceptions to libertarian principles whenever convenient.)

How very Libertarian of you....

Eric Hines