« On "Disenfranchising" Military Voters | Main | Apparently, We Womynfolk Have Good Reason to Fear Mitt Romney.... »

August 08, 2012

White Folks Occupy Wrong Side of Digital Divide

Oh, the humanity!

It has become a platitude in the technology industry that the future is mobile. But as more people turn to their smartphones for email, web browsing, and social networking, one group of Americans is being left behind: white people.

Nielsen's latest Mobile Insights study shows that whites are the only group of U.S. mobile subscribers who are more likely to own an old-school "feature phone" than a smartphone like the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy. Two-thirds of Asian-American mobile subscribers, 57 percent of Hispanics, and 53 percent of blacks own smartphones. For non-Hispanic whites, the figure is just 45 percent.

It's a good thing this grave social injustice is confined to People of Pallor, because that means we can absolutely rule out racism as a cause. If the stats were the other way around, such a troubling statistical disparity would be considered proof positive of America's perplexing determination to view everything through the prism of race.

Posted by Cassandra at August 8, 2012 04:47 AM

Comments

No, no, it is really a sign of privilege. People of Pallor don't need smartphones because we have MINIONS. For example, if I want to know the weather forecast for this afternoon, I simply use my simple phone to call Minion #3:

"Bumstead, get me the weather! NOW"

Bumstead races to his computer (the only IBM 1620 connected to the Internet--I don't believe in wasting new technology on minions), accesses the weather, and gives me the answer immediately.

Who needs smartphones when you have a Bumstead

Posted by: david foster at August 8, 2012 08:06 AM

I call mine Igor.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at August 8, 2012 10:10 AM

I do have a pretty good batting average when it comes to calling the weather.

On the other hand, and as mentioned recently, I could use a little help in the wooing department.

Posted by: igor at August 8, 2012 11:45 AM

Walkin' Boss needing one to keep up with her professional responsibilities, dragged me into the smart phone age. We opted for the high zoot android version.

Yeah, they're spiffy enough, but, and this is a very large but, THE SIZE OF THE <EXPLETIVE DELETED> KEYS IN THE VIRTUAL KEYBOARD ARE TOO <EXPLETIVE DELETED> SMALL! At least for my fingers... AND IT TAKES <EXPLETIVE DELETED> FOREVER TO TYPE IN (PECK OUT) A FEW WORDS. Hence, my galaxy's I/O has a well developed O with a very atrophied I. And SMS?! I don't speak SMS.

Turns out those who present the backside of their carcass to the various technologies have been awarded their very own classification from the professional classifiers. *snort*

I suppose the thrill of high tech and always being connected is gone. Been there, done that, on call, for decades, 24x7x365...
*chills run down exoskeleton at the thought*

Posted by: bt_weBdevoin'_hun at August 8, 2012 12:26 PM

" I could use a little help in the wooing department."

*There's the wind-up aaannndddd...*
Wooooo
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at August 8, 2012 12:29 PM

This is a bad indicator to be a leader in. People who do not buy the latest and greatest wait for prices to depress. Holding on to the older phone means one does not spend $100 a year on a new phone. Holding a phone for 5 years means $400 in savings.
Add in the app race, where the $.99 app of the day is in vogue and everyone has to have it. You could save another $50 a year.
Not upgrading a cell phone can save you money.

Posted by: Daniel at August 10, 2012 09:24 AM