« Is Ideology the Chicken? Or the Egg? | Main | Women Voters as Single Issue Sheep »

September 03, 2012

Brilliant

The Experts on Coded Racism explain what only racists are supposed to be able to hear:

After GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s rousing and effective convention acceptance speech last night, I found myself snapping my fingers as the GOP convention’s band in Tampa played that old hit, “Living in America.” Suddenly, it dawned on me: Team Romney might be transmitting racial messages.

I consulted my copy of the definitive reference on this topic, A Black Man’s Guide to Whitey’s Racial Code, by Jesse Jackson and Kanye West (Sharpton Books, 2010). I flipped past the highly apologetic introduction by Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D., Fla.). Just as I suspected, page 178 confirmed that “Living in America” was a Billboard Top 4 song by the Godfather of Soul, James Brown. This, as Jackson and West teach us, is a subtle message designed to remind Caucasians that President Obama has brown skin. Also, the song was written by Dan Hartman and Charlie Midnight. It doesn’t get any darker than midnight.

Marveling at the high art of this inter-ethnic information transfer, I checked Romney’s speech itself for additional clandestine, Caucasian communications.

...I also decided to review vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan’s soaring and inspirational acceptance speech. It proved to be a veritable NSA of racial code.

In his exquisitely written speech’s most eloquent line, Ryan remarked that the Obama presidency is “like a ship trying to sail on yesterday’s wind.” One of America’s dirty little secrets is that sailing is a predominantly white pastime. Ryan deftly informed America’s majority-white yachtsmen that Obama is black. Surely some were unaware of this fact.

...at the end of his speech, Ryan kissed his blond-haired, blue-eyed wife. This was a covert signal to white Americans: Unlike Barack Obama’s better half, Paul Ryan’s wife is white, not black. As a black man, it took me and my Jesse Jackson/Kanye West guide all night and most of the morning to decipher Romney and Ryan’s racial code. I truly envy my white readers who immediately could interpret the siren song of these dog whistles.

Now if we could just get a definitive ruling on the color of golf?

Two or three weeks ago, Bill Maher said about President Obama, “In many ways — especially for progressives — he is too white for them. He plays golf, he’s too cozy with bankers.” So, golf is white, in the “progressive” mind (or at least in Maher’s).

But then comes Lawrence O’Donnell to say, No, golf is black — and if you’re associating Obama with golf, you’re associating him with blackness.

Maybe fact checkers would help?

Posted by Cassandra at September 3, 2012 11:54 AM

Comments

As James Taranto said, if you can hear the dog whistle, by definition you're the dog. If the secret code is decipherable only by racists, what does that say about these ridiculous claims by Matthews, O'Donnell, et al.?

Posted by: Texan99 at September 3, 2012 03:19 PM

IMO this is total madness. What have we devolved to, when every statement, however neutral, is tarred with the "racism" brush? "prolespeak" is ascendent in the usual circles.

Intelligent political discourse appears to be moribund if not already dead.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at September 3, 2012 07:53 PM

They simply cannot run on the President's record. That's a losing proposition. They can't say "give us another shot, we'll get it right this time" when they're proposing nothing new. So what do they have left? "Look how EVIL the other guy is." Well, that doesn't really sell that well, since Mitt doesn't exactly give off a baby-eater vibe. So they hope this "sekrit rasism!!!1!!1" thing will stick.

Posted by: MikeD at September 4, 2012 10:47 AM

By the bye... isn't it wonderful that we elected the First Post-racial President?

Posted by: MikeD at September 4, 2012 10:49 AM

"...isn't it wonderful that we elected the First Post-racial President?"

Post-racial, yes. I would venture a guess that to aggregate all the posts written about race in the last four years would challenge even the most super of super computers.
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 4, 2012 01:00 PM

"I would venture a guess that to aggregate all the posts written about race in the last four years would challenge even the most super of super computers. 0>:~}"
IOW, the Styling and Profiling POTUS rates an incomplete in this area too. Imagine that.

Null the Void day is but 63 days and a wake up away.

Posted by: bthun at September 4, 2012 03:41 PM

PSA: The old clock on the wall said the count is 62 days and a wake up unless you are voting for O. The O votes are to be taken in 63 days and a wake up.

Posted by: bthun at September 4, 2012 03:43 PM