« "SECRET!!!" Romney Tapes as a Litmus Test | Main | The Real Slim Shady Barack Obama »

September 19, 2012

Coffee Snorters: OMG WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!! Edition

Taranto, on the Latest Grim Milestone in a Very Grim Campaign:

...if you believe the mainstream media, Romney has lost the election again. That's the third time in as many weeks, notwithstanding that the election won't actually happen until 47 days after the day after tomorrow. Last week it was his statement criticizing the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, and we forget what it was the week before.

Ace is the place with the helpful pollster man:

... high Republican affiliation -- even a tie, or even being slightly behind the Democrats -- results in Republican wins.

When it's close, the Democrats tend to lose.

What does this mean for November? It means a lot.
The Democrats won 2 election in this period 2006 & 2008 with a 6.9 advantage in 2006 & a 7.6 advantage in 2008.

There is no example of the Democrats winning since 2004 with an advantage less that 6.9.

The GOP won two elections in this period 2004 with a -1.6 disadvantage & 2010 with a 1.3 advantage. This means the GOP has proven it can win with not only a small lead but with an actual disadvantage. Additionally with an advantage of only 1.3 they pulled off the biggest house swing in my lifetime...

The Editorial Staff wouldn't bet the farm on it, but the post is certainly food for thought. We couldn't help noticing the past few weeks that the Obama Fellating Media have been trumpeting "OBAMA LEADS BY!!!!" headlines for weeks, usually followed by +8, +6, etc.

Gallup has a slightly different take.

The question everyone's asking: "What do undecided/independent voters think?" We listened to this CSPAN interview with a focus group of Virginia undecideds the other day during our lengthy commute home from hell work. It's long, but we highly recommend it, having been quite impressed with the intelligence of these folks, who are so often bashed by "real conservatives". With one exception, they weren't people who haven't thought about the issues, or who have no values. They were thoughtful and articulate... and interesting.

Speaking of smart and thought provoking fare, Tigerhawk has two must read posts up:

His plan for fixing the economy.

What he wishes progressives understood about business, and business people.

Both well worth your time.

You just can't make this stuff u: the myth of property ownership. What the State giveth, the State can take away.

Yet another major news story Mitt Romney has prevented the press from covering:

A review of transcripts by The Daily Caller indicate that no questions have been asked by the reporters who cover the president about Sebelius during official White House briefings or gaggles since Sept. 12, when the U.S. Office of Special Counsel said in a report that the cabinet secretary violated the Hatch Act earlier this year.

It’s still up to President Obama whether Sebelius should keep her job or face some sort of punishment after being found in violation of the Hatch Act.

They say that Mitt Romney is a baaaad mothuh. He singlehandedly controls the media. With his mind....

The Nanny State terrorizes military family:

In her complaint, Cooper says she lives on a "quiet, suburban cul de sac" and "often allows her 6- and 9-year-old children to ride their scooters on the street while she watches from a chair in the driveway or through the large windows on the front of her house."

"On the day of her arrest, Cooper's children were playing on their scooters in the cul de sac when her neighbor, defendant Shelley Fuller, called the City of La Porte Police Department to report that Cooper had 'abandoned' her children," the complaint states.

Cooper says she told the responding La Porte policeman that she had been home the whole time.

"Unknown Officer went across the street to talk with defendant Fuller. It was at this point that Fuller reported, for the first time, that she had struck one of Cooper's children with her vehicle as they played in the street," the complaint states. "Unknown Officer returned to Cooper's home, and after another conversation with Unknown Officer, Cooper was placed under arrest for the felony offenses of child endangerment and child abandonment.

"Never at any point were any of Cooper's children hit by a car as they played in the street. Moreover, Cooper was observing her children the entire time they were outside on the date of her arrest and thus could not plausibly have abandoned them. Despite the fact that Fuller alleged she had hit one of the children with her vehicle, no medical response was called for or needed as it was obvious that neither child had been hit by a car or was hurt in any way. Interestingly, Fuller was never confronted about her lie regarding striking the child with the car. Instead, Cooper, the victim of an angry neighbor, was arrested and charged with a crime in a public and embarrassing manner."

Cooper says her children witnessed her arrest and pleaded with the officer not to take her to jail, an experience made worse by the fact that their father was away in Austin on military duty.

"Cooper agreed to cooperate with Unknown Officer and asked Unknown Officer if he could cuff her hands in the front, as she has a history of neck, back, and shoulder problems and her arms cannot be place behind her back without extreme pain," Cooper says in the complaint. "Unknown Officer ignored her request, and handcuffed her hands incredibly tightly behind her back, so tight in fact that the handcuffs cut into the skin on her wrists."

Cooper says the arrest re-aggravated her health problems, and she might need back surgery.

"Cooper spent 18 hours in custody. Cooper spent over $7,000 in court and legal fees before the unsubstantiated felony charges against her were dismissed," the complaint states. "The incident also led to an investigation by Child Protective Services, requiring Cooper to take her children to the CPS office in Houston.

"Her children were separated from her and interrogated by child abuse investigators. CPS found no cause for concern regarding the well being of Cooper's children and dropped the investigation."

"Completely unfounded and preposterous":

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice says the assassination of her colleague, Ambassador Chris Stevens, in Benghazi, Libya, was a “spontaneous” event.

“The best information and the best assessment we have today,” she said, “is that this was not a pre-planned, pre-meditated attack. What happened initially was that it was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in Cairo as a consequence of the video. People gathered outside the embassy and then it grew very violent. And those with extremist ties joined the fray and came with heavy weapons, which unfortunately are quite common in post-revolutionary Libya, and that then spun out of control.”

Libya’s President Mohammed el-Megarif begs to differ.

“The idea that this criminal and cowardly act was a spontaneous protest that just spun out of control is completely unfounded and preposterous,” he said.

....I don't know what the administration is trying to pull here, but there's no way this will hold up to scrutiny.

We don't think there's any serious danger that the White House will be subjected to scrutiny by the press. Like Ms. Sebelius' inability to obey federal laws, this is all just an irrelevant distraction from more important issues.

Mood music to read the news by

As Grim observed yesterday, you've got to hand it to the NSA. They may be watching our every move, but at least they're not releasing the videos to David Corn.

Posted by Cassandra at September 19, 2012 06:48 AM

Comments

Regarding the 'myth of property ownership,' this is the 'fee simple' discussion we had a few months back. If you're talking about real estate, it is true that (in America, as in Britain) the final allodial title is held by the state. We tend to say that "we own" land, but properly we "hold of the state" in exactly the way that feudal lords "held of the king" in Norman England.

However, that's not the only way of doing business; in Medieval Spain many people we would think of as peasants actually had allodial title to their land, because their claim to the land pre-existed the states that came to be around them. That was something of a problem for the governments of the period, who figured out ways of talking these poor farmers into selling their property so that it could be redistributed.

It's not clear to me that this applies to all property, either: what of intellectual property, for example? If I write a book, I'm not aware of anything that would entitle the state to something like an allodial claim to it.

Posted by: Grim at September 19, 2012 09:33 AM

Ms. Fuller struck a child with her car, did not call the police, and then admitted to it to a police officer. Sounds like a confession to hit and run involving a pedestrian which is a felony in every state I've ever lived in. Yet the cop arrested the other woman. Bright, real bright.

Posted by: Allen at September 19, 2012 11:27 AM

I was wondering the same thing, Allen. About ten years ago now, Oregon passed a law that pedestrians had the right of way at all times, any time, 24/7/365. To my knowledge, pretty much every state has some law on the books that gives the right of way to pedestrians in all cases -- even jaywalkers have the right of way during the course of their illegal action.
Amazing.
No, actually, it's not. Not anymore.
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at September 19, 2012 12:12 PM

Grim,

And yet, if the .gov were to collapse, ownership of my property does not disappear into the ether. At least not according to the lawfirm of Smith, Wesson & Mossberg. :-)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at September 19, 2012 02:16 PM

I use a similar firm: Winchester, Sturm & Ruger.

Posted by: Grim at September 19, 2012 05:11 PM

Browning, Bushmaster, Glock, Mauser, Remington, Smith&Wesson, Taurus, Winchester, etc., etc., etc...

There are a diverse lot of Partners in the firm, listed in the classified as Bitter, Clingy & Howe.

Posted by: Judge Roy Bean at September 19, 2012 05:33 PM

Oh, and speaking of pistols, Officer Not-So-Friendly deserves a good pistol-whuppin'.

Not that he'll see any punishment at all. It would, apparently, offend our delicate sensibilities to do so much as subject him to public shaming by releasing his name.

I imagine I'm younger than most here, but I still remember being 8-9 years old riding my bike up and down the street for a couple of blocks completely unattended.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at September 19, 2012 05:38 PM

Re Rice's wilful denial on the Stevens killing, I believe the Obama administration is trying to avoid intervention on behalf of the Arab Spring liberals against the Islamists. The Obama administration's reaction reminds of the Clinton administration doing its best NOT to characterize the Rwanda genocide as "genocide" in order to avoid intervening in Rwanda.

Posted by: Eric at September 19, 2012 06:27 PM

I've often said (only half kidding) that if I were still raising my sons nowadays, I'd be hauled up on charges.

My sons were allowed to ride their bikes without my watching over them every second as though they were precious snowflakes. That's the way I grew up. My parents loved me. That's why they taught me well and then didn't hover over me constantly.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cass at September 19, 2012 08:30 PM

Great Googly-Moogly! I was looking at an old topic purely out of nostalgia, when Shazaam!, here was VC back from the dead. Am I still welcome in these hallowed halls, Cass, or do you prefer that my shadow darken your doorstep nevermore?

Posted by: a former european at September 20, 2012 03:05 AM

afe!!!

I've missed you terribly!

Of course you're welcome! Who else around this place will beat me on the soles of the feet thrice daily,or speak Phrench to power? :)

Posted by: Cass at September 20, 2012 06:41 AM

Not to mention the teachings of Mullah Yada Yada Yada.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 20, 2012 12:46 PM

Well! I haven't commented here since The Coming of Obama, liberal Jesus, so I must confess that I will have to struggle to remember all my alter egos. Also, I have been debating liberals during my absence, which is like playing basketball against the local kindergarten. I will have to seriously up my game to run with this crowd again. Can't wait! So good to be back with y'all.

Posted by: a former european at September 20, 2012 01:20 PM

Grim: While you are correct about the State, vis-a-vis property rights, this is only with respect to real property. Even then, the citizen may not be the ultimate "owner" of the land, but has legally protected interests in the possession and usage of the land. Whether viewed from a tenancy or easement type of perspective, the govt is prohibited by the Constitution from interfering with those rights. Eminent domain exists precisely because of those restrictions on the sovereignty and power of the State. Of course, given the ridiculous Kelo decision by SCOTUS, this may no longer be the case.

Posted by: q rormer european at September 20, 2012 01:28 PM

Aack! Mistyped my moniker. I type like Bill Clinton in a brothel -- can't keep my eyes on the keyboard.

Posted by: a former european at September 20, 2012 01:30 PM

I have missed the Codpiece of Reason.

It doesn't surprise me about the cop and the nosy do-gooder neighbor.

When we got fingered, one of the people who turned me in alleged that none of my children could read. That misconception was corrected real fast.

This is abuse of the law, not common sense. There are people who will try to use services and agencies to get their way. I am sure we can all recite chapter and verse about how it happens. What I find amazing is how the agency gets on a power trip in order to be seen to do something.

Posted by: Carolyn at September 21, 2012 08:41 AM

Quick question:

If you pay off your mortgage, then you technically have a color of title based on if you hold the deed.

Sooooo, if you pay off your mortgage, how do you get a patent or allodial title to your property?
If you pay property tax set by the state, isn't the state using your land to finance certain infrastructures?

Posted by: Carolyn at September 21, 2012 08:47 AM

In most states, you simply can't get allodial title to your property. There are a few exceptions, where allodial title is available for your lifetime only (i.e., your children cannot inherit allodial title, but they can still inherit the property in fee simple). This is so that you can do retirement planning: if you buy the lifetime allodial title, you can't then lose your home for failure to pay property taxes (indeed, your property cannot be taxed any further, since the state has no claim to it).

As I said, though, most states don't do this, and I gather that most of the ones that used to do it aren't allowing any more sales of this type.

Posted by: Grim at September 21, 2012 02:01 PM

I've been listening to those "undecided voters" this afternoon. Mostly they make me crazy, but I'm interested to hear them say almost unanimously that the issue in this election is the economy, and that the Romney/Ryan ticket gives them more confidence on that subject.

Though indeed, they scarcely seem to know why they feel that way, or why they think anything, really. Very, very fuzzy. This late in the process, many of them are still waiting for someone to call them up and give them the answers to questions they can't even articulate. "Maybe after the debates, I'll have some idea what the magic plan will be . . . ."

Posted by: Texan99 at September 23, 2012 04:29 PM

I have met no undecided voters, but I have met some voters who are grousing about whether they should bother to go to the polls. I suspect that's where the real action is. Most of these discouraged voters will probably show up... if it is important enough to them that they remember to bother, which they may not given how disgusted they are.

I don't think they're persuadable to vote for the other guy, but they may be easy to persuade not to vote at all.

Posted by: Grim at September 23, 2012 09:31 PM

This weekend I was talking to two of my friends who voted for Obama in 08. One is voting for Gary Johnson in the next election, the other is still debating to vote for Obama or just stay home. Now, they live in Georgia, so they're sanguine that it's unlikely that their votes would make the difference, but the real turn on that in my mind is that if there are many other blue leaning folks who feel the same, that bodes ill for the TOTUS.

Posted by: MikeD at September 24, 2012 08:52 AM