« Unclear on the Concept.... | Main | While the Watchdog Press Slumbered.... »

September 27, 2012

Quote of the Day

A TV award show that fails to nominate Justified, or Sons of Anarchy, or their respective actors and actresses, is really quite meaningless. Even more meaningless than it would be were they nominated. Which they should be. If Emmy voters had any brains. Or taste.

This is why we have always studiously ignored award shows. And TV in general, at least before the advent of HD on Demand. Don't care what other people think of shows we like, really.

The Editorial Staff are insensitive like that. Never watched Sons of Anarchy but both the acting and dialogue in Justified were awfully good.

Posted by Cassandra at September 27, 2012 07:33 AM

Comments

You might not enjoy it, but Sons of Anarchy is a great show. I can't say if it deserves an award, though, since I haven't watched any other shows. We don't have television, but Amazon Prime offered it streaming for free, and it came recommended to me by Uncle Jimbo at BLACKFIVE. He was right about it.

Posted by: Grim at September 27, 2012 09:42 AM

I've never even heard of "Sons of Anarchy"; sounds like we should check it out.

We loved "Justified," which was screenwritten by Elmore Leonard. Always trust an Elmore Leonard screenplay. There's no one like him for dialogue that simultaneously advances a plot and reveals a character. As usual, I'll insert a plug here for "Hombre," one of the great westerns.

Posted by: Texan99 at September 27, 2012 10:01 AM

As for Sons of Anarchy [SOA], the following actual conversation took place in my office:

Coworker: Yeah, last night one of the characters in [SOA] was brutally killed.
Me: Is there any other way for a character in [SOA] to die?
Coworker: No, not really.

Posted by: MikeD at September 27, 2012 03:44 PM

The spouse liked it so much he bought the stories the series was based upon.

I bought the series on CD :p

Posted by: Cassandra at September 27, 2012 05:24 PM

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at September 27, 2012 05:27 PM

It was really weird for me to watch the episodes of "Justified" that I did see given that Harlan, KY is where my familial roots are buried. I would lose the plot, because I was usually too busy watching the background for familiar sites. I remember seeing what was once one of my grandmother's houses in the background. I have no idea what the scene was about, though.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 27, 2012 06:17 PM

I watch very little TV anymore, but Justified is one of the best shows on TV hands down. Completely addicted to it.

Posted by: a former european at September 27, 2012 07:48 PM

We too bought and read the short story and books on which "Justified" was based. Great stuff.

Also, I'll watch Timothy Olyphant in anything.

Posted by: Texan99 at September 28, 2012 10:28 AM