« Questioning the (Debate) Timing | Main

October 17, 2012

Binders vs. Cardboard Cutouts of Women

Your choice, ladies:

Why did the phrase resonate? Because it was tone deaf, condescending and out of touch with the actual economic issues that women are so bothered about. The phrase objectified and dehumanized women. It played right into the perception that so many women have feared about a Romney administration – that a president Romney would be sexist and set women back.

Let me get this straight: as a working woman, wife, and mother, I'm supposed to be terribly offended that a state governor would look at an all-male slate of candidates for positions in his administration and ask, "Couldn't you find any qualified women?"...

...and to make things worse, the big jerk proceeded to hire some of the women in that binder! Can you believe that? What a sexist pig!

Meanwhile, in other news, the candidate whose speech writer posted a photo of himself and another WH staffer groping a cardboard cutout of Hillary Clinton is widely presumed to understand and sympathize with women.

Because if there's one thing adult working women want, it's to be reduced to sexualized playthings to be groped by obnoxious 20-something frat boys with an oozing sense of entitlement. What we want, is a President whose female employees openly complain about the hostile working environment he allows to continue, long after being publicly put on notice that there's a problem:

When one of President Obama's debate coaches, Anita Dunn, worked at the White House, this is what she reportedly had to say about her experience there:

This place would be in court for a hostile workplace. ... Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women.”

In the same piece, former economic adviser Christina Romer is reported as saying, "I felt like a piece of meat."

“‘I felt like a piece of meat,’ Christina Romer, former head of the Council of Economic Advisers, said of one meeting in which Suskind writes she was ‘boxed out’ by Summers,” reported the Post.

Time magazine called Obama's White House a "Boys' Club."

...the problem has been obvious almost since Obama took office. And while the explanations so far have blamed members of the mostly-departed boys club–Robert Gibbs, Rahm Emanuel–Obama himself is responsible for a work atmosphere that marginalizes and ignores women," wrote Time.

And Obama's own staff is mostly made up of males, who, as the Washington Free Beacon reported, get paid more than their female counterparts.

Hmmm.... shouldn't a candidate who continually flogs pay disparities as prima facie evidence of discrimination pay women and men the same salaries?

Given the choice between an employer who actually walks the walk vs. one who talks a big game in public but tolerates grossly disrespectful/discriminatory treatment of women in a work environment he controls, I know which one I'd choose.

Posted by Cassandra at October 17, 2012 11:30 AM

Comments

"...one who talks a big game in public but tolerates grossly disrespectful/discriminatory treatment of women in a work environment he controls,..."

This is Obama. President do as I say, not as I do.

Posted by: bthun at October 17, 2012 12:16 PM

Years ago I sat on a hiring board for the college I was attending. The EO officer came in to brief us on the diversity measures the school had in place.

As a conservative, I didn't really have a problem with the process: the only goal was to make sure minority and female candidates didn't get screened out before they ever had a chance to compete.

Given the fairly robust set of studies that have shown that people absolutely DO judge the absolute same resumes/work differently, depending on whether they think they're looking at a man or a woman, I think that's not a bad solution.

Quotas and affirmative action, not so much.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 17, 2012 12:24 PM

Romney, it seems, at least noticed the under-representation before he even too office, which 0 still hasn't noticed after more than three years.

Posted by: htom at October 17, 2012 01:15 PM

Comrade Cassandrova: You have been denounced by our informants as a counterrevolutionary enemy of the People. Our jackbooted thugs will soon be kicking down your door to "escort" you to your show trial.

Your post has not been pre-approved by Party censors (the non-Fox media), and does not conform to current Party-approved Truth. It is well-known that there is no Truth, except Party-approved Truth. Therefore, all non-Party-approved Truth is necessarily lies. You have obviously allowed yourself to be corrupted by the incorrect thinking of those rightwing lying liars who lie.

Finally, it is unquestionable fact that The Most Beloved Leader Obama is infallible. Ask any liberal. Because your post criticizes the actions or conduct of The Great Obama, express or implied, you are clearly guilty of one or more thought crimes. You will be purged to protect the mental hygiene of the People.

Love,

Commissar Strelnikov

Posted by: a former european at October 17, 2012 01:46 PM

To Commisar Strelnikov and every fundamentally transforming revolutionist:

What is said is said to establish one's own compassion and define one's own values; what is done is done to establish one's own integrity and make of values, by action, virtues.

Long live the Memory of Tsar Nicholas II, Emperor Of All The Russias, and his Imperial Highnesses' sainted and martyred family.

Posted by: George Pal at October 17, 2012 02:22 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how he got all those women into binders. I could use the extra storage space at home.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 17, 2012 02:35 PM

The War on Women should be an easily dismissed amusement. That a political party that depends on voters for survival would launch a “War” on the very group that makes up over half the voter base is simply absurd to a reasonable mind.

So think about how telling it is -- about the relationship between the left and the media -- that liberal strategists launched that kite and the media flew it proudly. Sadly, a lot of women have been taken in and think the government should move the deer crossings. The good part comes around 2:50 going backwards.

Posted by: kavu at October 17, 2012 02:45 PM

Did you notice how Obama dismissed Governor Romney's experience as a private sector bidnessman, as well as a state governor? Treated his experience with contempt.

Not only that, Romney, when he served as a bishop to an LDS ward, did not get a single dime of compensation. Truth be told, a bishop has to be financially stable, since sometimes you will more than likely put your own money up to help others.

The major difference between Romney and 0 is that Romney wants people to help others without government interference and taxation.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 17, 2012 04:35 PM

I didn't even notice the "binders" comment at the time, though I remember the discussion of how he got women on his cabinet. I have no idea why anyone would find that the word "resonated."

Posted by: Texan99 at October 17, 2012 04:55 PM

Because they were primed to take offense?

I agree - I didn't notice it either and when I saw the flap the next morning, my first thought was, "Must be something that happened after I went upstairs!"

Keep in mind that these are the same kind of folks who went nuts over the Big Bird thing. We have serious problems and they're freaking out over imaginary threats to a Muppet who has more money than Mitt Romney or spazzing out about women in binders.

You can't make this stuff up. No one would believe it.

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot in Training at October 17, 2012 05:03 PM

Heh.

Tovarich, your rants never fail to bring a big smile to my face :)

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot in Training at October 17, 2012 05:05 PM

spd, spd, spd....

Not funding every single choice a Persun of Estrogen might make is inherently coercive.

We womyn are simultaneously just as strong, smart, and independent as men yet oddly incapable, weak, and in need of not just protection from our fully-equal co-humans but taxpayer subsidies.

We are a protected class, but don't you DARE mention our protected status because that might make us feel inferior. Which we are not... even though we can't take care of ourselves or pay our own way.

If you had ladyparts, all of this would be obvious to you. SHAME! SHAME ON YOU!

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot in Training at October 17, 2012 05:12 PM

So let me get this straight: Romney personally and voluntarily instituted the same affirmative actions policy that Democrats have been claiming are an absolute necessity and should be forced on all enterprises, but when he does it, it is demeaning, patronizing, and sexist.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 17, 2012 05:21 PM

I think it's important to distinguish between policies that seek to broaden out the applicant pool (EO) and policies that lower the job requirements for certain classes of people (affirmative action).

Sometimes, they both happen and I'm not in favor of that. But sometimes employers just cast that initial net a little wider, and I have absolutely no problem with that, so long as the government isn't forcing them to do this.

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot in Training at October 17, 2012 05:27 PM

Women in binders? What happened to corsets? Or are binders spandex?

Liberals are bashing affirmative action:

Posted by: PuffOnMeds at October 17, 2012 05:52 PM

Hmmm.. It appears that Governor Romney didn't put all those women into binders after all! In fact, those women were put into binders by *gasp* other women! And then these "other women" (all of whom, I might add, are themselves organized into folders labeled "women's groups" that are then hole-punched and placed into a larger binder labeled "coalition") sent the binders to Romney!
See for yourself:

BOSTON — A coalition of Massachusetts women’s groups says GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney did, in fact, receive binders with the names of potential female candidates for high-level positions when he was governor.

Sooooooo.... Romney lied... again. It's plain that only other women can put women into binders, which means I'm totally out of luck trying to fix my female overcrowding situation at home. Thanks a lot Mitt!

Posted by: spd rdr at October 17, 2012 05:56 PM

Well if you are going to put women in cabinets, you should probably put them in binder or folders first.

It's only fair. I mean, what kind of cabinet are we speaking of here?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at October 17, 2012 05:58 PM