« In Libya, Press Doing Job Deemed "Too Dangerous" For Obama Administration | Main | "Unexpectedly!", Romney Wins Debate »

October 03, 2012

Debate Prep

A little something to get y'all in the mood for tonight's debate:

Vote for your favorite Obama verbal tic in the comments section:

Statistics gathered by the Global Language Monitor reveal that Obama has said ["Make no mistake"] 2,924 times since he was sworn into office more than two years ago.

Other signature Obama sayings include: "Win the future" (1,861 times), “Here’s the deal” (1,450 times), and “Let me be clear,” (1,066 times). In a nod to the tough financial times he has faced, the president’s fifth most popular motto is “It will not be easy” (1,059 times).

Posted by Cassandra at October 3, 2012 06:59 PM

Comments

There's only one phrase I want to hear him say:
"I lost."
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 3, 2012 07:43 PM

The Left is out, telling us what to think. Tingletown, you might say.

I am listening to Jesus Christ Superstar. "I Don't Know How to Love Him."

The youngest CLU has to watch them for social studies, so I have volunteered to guide his little mush-filled skull through the process.

I think I would rather have my teeth cleaned.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 08:20 PM

I have to stick with "Let me be clear."

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 08:28 PM

"Let me be clear."

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 08:51 PM

I think it's my favorite because, really, there's only one person holding him back from clarity, and he doesn't have to ask that guy permission.

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 09:12 PM

Mittens has taken off his gloves. He is articulate, and believes in energy independence.

Obama and Romney differ between solar and coal.

Sticking point. Yep. Obama does doublespeak quite well.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 09:14 PM

Hell, just count the times he says "I". It'll be in the tens of thousands tonight alone.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 3, 2012 09:19 PM

Well, at least he is clear about his place in the universe.

Mittens is now telling him how we need to get out of debt.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 09:28 PM

"Mittens" is doing very well, actually.

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 09:40 PM

Yes, he is isn't he? :)

Obama sounds halting and tentative. He has talking points, but no command of the big arguments and ideas.

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot-in-Training at October 3, 2012 09:43 PM

I can't believe he got away with ending up that last segment without a Presidential response. I thought his final response on Dodd-Frank was very strong, and I expected the President to be given a rebuttal.

He's opening strong on Obamacare, too.

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 09:58 PM

Obama can't let go of Obamacare and let the states do it. Mitt needs to drive that point home. Again. Like he did with taxes. Ya notice the ties? Mitt is wearing a natty red tie; Obama is wearing a lovely blue one.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 10:05 PM

Is Obama really that thick? Did he just say that Mitt didn't have anything to replace Obamacare?

Ay caramba.

Oooh. Obamacare had to be passed without us knowing what was in it.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 10:11 PM

Wow, did I just hear the 10th Amendment mentioned in a Presidential debate?

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 10:14 PM

You did. I nearly cried when Mitt started talking about the role of government.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 10:24 PM

Having seen the closing statements, looks like "Mittens" drew lucky in getting to go last, and decided to cut up his opponent with a Bowie knife on the way out the door. I didn't know they knew how to use them in Boston -- but maybe he learned out West.

I can see which of these gentlemen studied harder. Maybe the President won't go traipsing off to the Hoover Dam next time.

Posted by: Grim at October 3, 2012 10:35 PM

Yes indeedy. Mittens nailed it. Even the pundits are in awe. Huge bounce here.

It doesn't hurt to have been taught to speak in public since the age of three...

Posted by: Carolyn at October 3, 2012 10:37 PM

I'm listening to a bunch of pre-debate "undecideds" explain why they're now Romney supporters. Some are persuaded that Romney, which his business background, knows how to balance a budget. Some believe he couldn't possibly be less competent at bipartisanship than Obama. Romney was thoughtful; Obama was flat. Romney had facts and specifics; Obama was stuck on talking points. And the killer: Obama collapsed when he was forced to confront questions, which the press had previously protected him from.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 3, 2012 11:11 PM

I also noticed that Obama had to be corrected by Mitt several times by Mitt saying 'That is simply not true.'

Best line of the evening and that set the tone for how Obama reacted was when Mitt said that if he keeps repeating a lie, it will somehow become the truth. Romney had to continually drag Obama back to the point, and restate his case. Romney was engaging, and focused without being rancorouse or overstating his case. TOUCHDOWN!

Posted by: Carolyn at October 4, 2012 07:52 AM