« Oooh! Do Me, Barack! | Main | Inconvenient Truth of the Day »

October 29, 2012

Hunkering Alert

Sorry for the dearth of posts. We are hunkering down for the storm.

Making a chicken stew and some spaghetti sauce in case we lose power later.

Posted by Cassandra at October 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Comments

I was just thinking about your storm prep, and realizing that I probably wouldn't find a new post here for a while. Be safe.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 29, 2012 11:02 AM

We were out of town all weekend (left Friday at noon and didn't get back until Sunday late) so we're just now getting ready.

I should be able to get something up later today but I'm using the quiet time to catch up on hateful tasks at work that require concentration :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 29, 2012 11:53 AM

Good luck, Cass.

Posted by: Grim at October 29, 2012 05:27 PM

Stay safe.

Posted by: htom at October 29, 2012 11:42 PM

Chicken stew and spaghetti sauce - perfect storm and comfort food! Stay safe!!

Posted by: Nina at October 30, 2012 07:50 AM

The chicken stew turned out great! I don't use recipes except on rare occasions, but chicken and beef stew tend to be fairly consistent (aside from minor adjustments to use up whatever we have in the fridge or pantry).

This time I was a little concerned b/c all I had was two boneless chicken breasts and you don't get any good drippings from them. I've made it before with a white sauce gravy flavored with chicken base, but I was afraid it would be tasteless with just the small amount of white meat.

So I browned the chicken (which I usually do) but also all the veggies (onions, garlic, carrots and tiny red potatoes) in olive oil before adding the white sauce in. I deglazed the pan with a little white wine and it was really flavorful!

Posted by: Cassandra at October 30, 2012 09:02 AM

Oh, and I ended up making beer chili instead of the spaghetti sauce!

Posted by: Cassandra at October 30, 2012 09:05 AM

Yum!

Make sure you also have plenty of potable water, a med kit and some things you can eat without heating.

Stay warm and safe.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 30, 2012 10:20 AM

I dunno about you, but I sure can eat cold chili happily.

Posted by: MikeD at October 30, 2012 10:33 AM

Chili is good hot, cold, warm, semi-warm where the beans are still cold.....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 30, 2012 10:38 AM

Beans in Chili are an abomination unto God and thou shall be smited for your heresy!

Posted by: Disciple of the First SelfRighteous Chili Church at October 30, 2012 12:13 PM