« "Unexpectedly!", Romney Wins Debate | Main | The Shadow Knows Caption Contest »

October 04, 2012

More Romney "Unexpectedly!"

Veteran pollster Frank Lunz:

Undecided voters in focus group swing sharply toward Romney; Frank Luntz: ‘I’ve never seen anything like this’; CBS post-debate poll shows big win for Romney

Though the Editorial Staff are very much enjoying the public spanking meted out last night to pundits on the left who have relentlessly trashed Romney and pundits on the right who have... well, relentlessly trashed their own guy (when they weren't publicly wetting their pants in fear of the next soon-to-be-forgotten tempest in a teacup), we have to say that we really don't understand why any of this should be in the least unexpected.

Romney's whole life is a list of unexpected outcomes. Privileged youngest son of a self made man gives away his inheritance and goes on to amass a fortune worth over 200 million dollars. Sons of famous men - especially youngest sons - don't usually equal, much less exceed, their father's achievements.

Republicans aren't usually elected governor of liberal states. When is the last time we saw a Republican earn so much respect and loyalty from those who have worked with him - even his political opponents - that one of them went on national TV to testify to his character and integrity?

Righty pundits spend way too much time worrying about Mitt's supposed lack of conservatism. The man's life demonstrates that in everything he does, Romney has conservative instincts and values. That he's not ideological about it doesn't bother us one bit.

The single biggest challenge facing this nation over the next decade or so will be uniting a nation, half of which sees nothing wrong with big government and deficit spending, and the other half of which wants to shrink government and pay down the debt. An ideologue will never be able to do that because ideologues on both sides can't help betraying their deep seated belief that anyone who disagrees with them is stupid or evil.

Condescension and contempt made poor ambassadors. Reagan's most powerful weapon was that he understood Democrats, having been one himself for many years. Romney, like most people and like Reagan, has become more conservative over time. His conservatism isn't the shallow kind, born of zealotry or disillusionment, but the deep, long lasting kind grounded in life experience.

We've never believed that it's reasonable to expect one man to singlehandedly reverse over 75 years of steady growth in the scope and power of the federal government. What we do see in Mitt Romney is a man who will do what can be done and will, as he has over and over again in his life, exceed expectations. We see an adult who is wise enough not to pretend he has control over the specifics of plans and policies that will be subject to public debate and compromise by a Congress whose composition is yet unknown. And we see a man who is honest enough to be profoundly - and visibly - uncomfortable with the obscene falseness of the campaign trail.

But get him on policy, on the facts, on where he wants to take this country, and he is decisive, calm, and very much in command of himself.

So, while nothing in life is ever certain, we're hopeful. When it came to the war on terriers, George Bush had an overwhelming array of forces against him and yet - because he focused and refused to give in - he prevailed in the end. We sense that kind of focus and determination in Romney. It's not to be found in his words, but in his life.

And that's what really matters.

Posted by Cassandra at October 4, 2012 08:24 AM

Comments

I watched the Red Sox get unexpectedly blown out by the Yankees 14-2. Pretty clearly, it was the umpires fault.

Posted by: spd rdr at October 4, 2012 10:34 AM

That, and no one asked the Yankees about the 47% :p

Posted by: Cass - Confirmation Bigot-in-Training at October 4, 2012 10:53 AM

"Pretty clearly, it was the umpires fault."

Well, the replacement refs gotta work *somewhere*, don'cha know. Afterall, they still have the vig to pay....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 4, 2012 11:12 AM

Hear hear!

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at October 4, 2012 11:16 AM

Great post! I agree entirely about Romney exceeding expectations his entire life. I am looking forward to seeing him do the same as President Romney. Kudos.

Posted by: TexasMom2012 at October 4, 2012 11:48 AM

Your points are well made. My respects to the Editorial Staff for another enlightening post.

Posted by: kavu at October 4, 2012 01:08 PM

Ditto on the great post.

Last night I forced myself to watch and listen to The ∅'s sullen, syncopated and saturated with ah, uh, delivery of the same old same old over the rainbow fantasy garbage we've heard a thousand, better make that tens of thousands of times. And the television survived, but I fear the boot print is permanent...

Anyway, as Romney spoke to each point both Lehrer and The ∅ raised, it slowly started to hit me that Romney was looking more and more like the Republican POTUS who was vilified in his time, but became the standard bearer for Conservatives.

Maybe my passing vision of last nights performance is a bit premature, but based on my recollections of the happy warrior using his strength of character, his firmly held beliefs tempered with a dose of the pragmatic, and his ability to negotiate with the opposition, all the while steering the outcome towards his goals, I had a sense of deja vu. Did anyone else have a similar notion? Or am I simply that sick of The ∅ and his cohorts in and out of the Congress?

P.S. go Braves.

Posted by: bthun at October 4, 2012 01:08 PM

I was pleasantly surprised last night. I think - the brutal primary season actually helped train Romney

I liked your 'Omaba catch phrases" - we could have had a pool on them!

Winner would get.....?

Posted by: Bill Brandt at October 4, 2012 01:10 PM

I don't think that Mitt Romney is a very conservative politician, but I do think that he has morals and character, and understands the fundamental problems of the fiscal and governmental crisis we are in. He will not betray the people, although I am sure that Conservatives will be disappointed in his as President when he compromises with the Democrats.

He has intelligence and dignity, and is comfortable in his own philosphy of why he wants the job, which puts him in the category of Reagan, who also understood what the few really big tasks were that he wanted to work on.

spd rdr, what do you make of Bobby Valentine throwing his coaching staff under the bus with his remarks the other day? Curt Schilling REALLY took him to task last night on ESPN, and Barry Larkin could only say "Yeah, that's it!"

Go Reds! On to the WORLD SERIES!!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at October 4, 2012 01:40 PM

"war on terriers" lol

Posted by: Malmin at October 4, 2012 03:27 PM

During the primaries, Romney was usually attacked "from the Right", meaning most of the disagreement with him was from some of his moderate views demonstrated by his term of Governor of a very Democrat Massachusetts. He is more comfortable defending his center -right positions from attacks from the Left (Barack Obama). He was more confident, forthright and comfortable with the beliefs that he holds.

Don, I couldn't agree more.

I am confident and comfortable about my own beliefs (and fairly arrogant about my ability to hold my own in arguments to boot!). Yet I don't like going up against people on my own side.

As for the World Series, my Nats are going to take that :p

Pppphhhhtttttthhhh :)

Posted by: Cass, Now With 25% More Nattitude! at October 4, 2012 03:42 PM

Great post Cass, and thanks for the GWB comment. I have always thought him an honorable man with "True Grit"--vastly and (in the main) unjustly maligned by the media and the left--but I commit redundacy ;-0

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 4, 2012 04:42 PM

I'm a huge W fan too, Capt. Mongo. I was privileged to shake his hand 3 times and each time he was unbelievably gracious and warm.

A true gentleman. I think history will treat him far more kindly than America did while he was president.

Posted by: Cass, Now With 25% More Nattitude! at October 4, 2012 04:48 PM

Great post!! Once I really took at look at Romney, I realized how much there is to admire about him. Especially since he has exceeded expectations and conquered challenges that everyone thought 'nahhh - he'll just swing and miss', and then they'd move on to someone who is flashier but can't do squat.

Agree with Don's point as well.

One final point: GO REDBIRDS!!! ;-)

Posted by: Nina at October 4, 2012 08:00 PM

"One other point. I believe this country will be well-served by stopping this whole (but he/she isn't conservative/liberal enough to fit MY *stomps foot* criteria dammit!, and spends so much time bitching about all of that, that they forget we have a country to save, protect, defend, and keep for future generations. "

Preach on Nina!

FWIW and given Romney's record of being a successful, self-made business man who is in favor of a strong national defense, who will weigh both the necessity and performance of government programs against the need to borrow Chinese money to finance them. A proven executive who will review the validity and impact of regulations, and one who is willing to take a run at revamping the tax code --cough-- --cough-- give the Fair tax a peek --cough-- --cough--, etc., etc., etc.

Well, given the alternative, I'm quite satisfied with Romney's conservative creds.

IIRC Reagan worked with a Democrat legislature too. And he too was quite successful in spite of that, dare I say, handicap.

Posted by: bthun at October 4, 2012 08:23 PM