« Thought for the Day | Main | Questioning the (Debate) Timing »

October 17, 2012

"Orderly" Tots

This story tickled the Editorial Staff:

Two day care teachers have been fired after four 2-year-olds were found wandering down a Bethesda street Tuesday.

..."They were walking lined up, they were very orderly. If I didn't have kids of my own I probably wouldn't have noticed they were by themselves," says the man.

He and his 7-year-old "herded up the children and started walking them back toward Lynbrook."

Like little ducklings, they were.

Posted by Cassandra at October 17, 2012 07:48 AM

Comments

"All right, Bobbie, you said if we just walked in line we could make it to the amusement park and nobody would notice!"

Posted by: Grim at October 17, 2012 11:20 AM

I just loved that story :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 17, 2012 11:22 AM

When the nieces and nephews were fresh, tabula rosa's they loved to imitate their Uncle and Dad. We often had *formations* of kids marching around and through the house. We loved listening to them trying their darndest to look and sound how they think Marines look and sound.
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 17, 2012 11:34 AM

So, why fire the two teachers? They'd clearly trained their charges well. In the later grades they should get similarly effective training in math, reading, writing, civics, and economics and so be able similarly to function without...supervision.

Holloman AFB, when I was stationed there those years ago, had a leash law: dogs had to be on a leash to be walked outdoors while on base. More than once, I'd see a family pushing their stroller, small child beside them, dog leading the procession--its leash in its mouth. The leash law was silent on where the other end of the leash had to be, after all.

There's an elderly woman in my neighborhood now, who has her dog similarly well trained.

These little tykes clearly were following their training.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at October 17, 2012 12:20 PM

I think that Grim might have the right of it. There is a set of parents out there that had better armor up, they are in for a ride.

Posted by: Russ at October 17, 2012 02:09 PM