« MacArthur Park Caption Contest | Main | Interesting Fact of the Day »

October 31, 2012

What In The Heck Is Going On Around Here?

This kind of thing bears watching, IYKWIMAITYD:

Anna Clark, 35, says that a red fox stole her handbag. Or maybe "borrowed" is the correct term, since the little critter apparently brought it back.

Anna's husband, 38-year-old Jeremy Clark, told The Argus yesterday that the couple was standing in their driveway in West Sussex, England, when the fox appeared and snatched up the bag in his mouth.

Jeremy said he yelled at the fox to drop the bag, but the fox didn't listen, taking off into the bushes instead.

A few minutes later, Jeremy claims, the fox returned, reportedly looking guilty, and placed the bag back at Anna's feet before scurrying off once more.

...No charges were filed.

This isn't the first fox to flirt with the wrong side of the law. In August, a fox, along with his accomplice, a pig, reportedly helped a kangaroo escape from a zoo in Germany.

Posted by Cassandra at October 31, 2012 04:14 AM

Comments

George Orwell, please call your office.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 31, 2012 09:31 AM

We're gonna hafta start watchin' these critters like a hawk, I tell ya.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 31, 2012 09:32 AM

There are disturbing signs that my dogs are in on it.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 31, 2012 09:54 AM

So how do you train a fox?

Posted by: Grim at October 31, 2012 09:59 AM

Why do I suspect a joke lurking in that last comment? :)

There was a fascinating article up a while back about domesticating wild foxes - I think it was in Russia. Apparently it took only a few generations, which in human time is not long. So I'm guessing they're pretty trainable.

So... how *do* you train a fox?

Posted by: Cassandra at October 31, 2012 10:11 AM

I don't know, but my nephews told me how you catch a unique rabbit.

Apparently, unique up on them.

Posted by: MikeD at October 31, 2012 11:09 AM

*groan* :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 31, 2012 11:33 AM

So how do you train a fox?

Well....

Dr. Seuss puts the fox in a box with green eggs and ham.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 31, 2012 12:40 PM

Was the Fox quick? Did it jump over a lazy dog?

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 31, 2012 12:46 PM

No surprise here. Donkeys and Elephants have been making off with our prosperity, liberty and dignity for over 200 years. Though there seems to have been a marked acceleration over the past 12.

Posted by: kavu at October 31, 2012 01:11 PM

How do you catch a tame rabbit?

Tame way.

Heh-heh-heh-heh.

Posted by: Elmer Fudd at October 31, 2012 01:11 PM

And unlike this fox, they don't even have the grace to feel ashamed of themselves (or bring it back!).

Posted by: Cassandra at October 31, 2012 01:26 PM

See what a welfare state brings? The fox thought it was entitled.

Posted by: PuffOnMeds at October 31, 2012 03:40 PM

I was actually thinking of the joke about the three guys who meet on Miami beach. They get to talking and the first one explains how he used to own a factory in New York, but when the economic downturn hit suddenly he wasn't able to sell his products anymore. Then, tragically a fire started in the factory and it was all burned up, and he retired to Miami on the insurance.

The second fellow said, "Wow, that's much like what happened to me. I also owned a factory in New York, and I also was hurt by the economic downturn. But just when it seemed like I might lose everything, a fire started in my factory and burned it all down. I also decided to retire on the insurance."

The third guy said, "That's really funny. I also owned a factory in New York, until just this week. Like you, the economy has been pulling it downward and downward until I was sure I was going to lose it all. And then, just when it all seemed darkest to me, a hurricane blew into town and destroyed the factory. I've moved down here on the promise of the insurance payments."

The first two guys look at each other, and then at the third guy, and finally the second guy clears his throat. "I know we're all thinking it, and somebody's got to ask," he said. "So, how do you arrange a hurricane?"

Posted by: Grim at October 31, 2012 04:16 PM

[H]ow *do* you train a fox?

Geez--nothing like getting all sexist here....

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at October 31, 2012 04:57 PM

...unlike this fox, they don't even have the grace to feel ashamed of themselves (or bring it back!).

Well, there was nothing in the article that indicated the fox brought anything back other than the handbag. Which likely was empty.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at October 31, 2012 04:59 PM

Cassandra - you're thinking of the experiments with selective breeding of fur foxes for tameness (and you're right, it's in Russia). Here's an article that says the experiment covers about forty generations and notes some of the changes.

Posted by: Joseph W. at October 31, 2012 05:02 PM

I think you mean the well-known comedian Redd Foxx, star of Sanford and Son. He will never get caught, because whenever the cops catch him, he clutches his chest and loudly proclaims that this is "The Big One", and he's coming to meet his dear Elizabeth. When the cops are distracted, he makes a clean getaway. The other fellow is his sidekick Grady in an animal disguise.

Posted by: a former european at November 2, 2012 02:02 AM