« The Welfare State, By the Numbers | Main | The Death of Self Control »

November 13, 2012

Coffee Snorters and Other Delights: L'Ennui Edition

The Editorial Staff won't have much time to write this morning so in lieu of our usual vapid meanderings, we offer random items from our browsing history.

If Jean-Paul Sartre had a blog:

Thursday, 20 August, 1959: 2:10 P.M.

If Man exists, God cannot exist, because God’s omniscience would reduce Man to an object. And if Man is merely an object, why then must I pay the onerous fees levied on overdue balances by M. Pelletier at the patisserie? At least this was the argument I raised this morning with M. Pelletier. He seemed unconvinced and produced his huge loutish son Gilles from the back, ominously brandishing a large pastry roller. The pastry roller existed, I can tell you that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

President Obama is considering asking Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) to serve as his next defense secretary, part of an extensive rearrangement of his national security team that will include a permanent replacement for former CIA director David H. Petraeus.

Although Kerry is thought to covet the job of secretary of state, senior administration officials familiar with the transition planning said that nomination will almost certainly go to Susan E. Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Truth be told, we are torn about this. As a blogger, we rather miss the windsurfing, Phrench speaking former junior Senator from Massachusetts.

Forward!

By the end of this week, states must decide whether they will build a health-insurance exchange or leave the task to the federal government. The question is, with as many as 17 states expected to leave it to the feds, can the Obama administration handle the workload.

“These are systems that typically take two or three years to build,” says Kevin Walsh, managing director of insurance exchange services at Xerox. “The last time I looked at the calendar, that’s not what we’re working with.”

When Walsh meets with state officials deciding whether to build a health exchange, he brings a chart. It outlines how to build the insurance marketplace required under the Affordable Care Act. To call it complex would probably be an understatement:

The longer these folks are in office, the more we're inclined to think the best way to oppose them is to cheerfully hand them more rope.

More of the administration's much vaunted Smart Power in action:

Socialist President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela is using President Obama's re-election as a time to publicly criticize him.

Chavez -- who opposes U.S. military involvement around the globe -- says quote -- "He should dedicate himself to governing his country and forget dividing and invading other nations."

Yep - they're just lovin' us.

It's 3 a.m. - do you know what your Cabinet is doing?

Senate Intelligence Committee head Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, called it "a lightning bolt," and it was. Congressional overseers of the intelligence community should have been told far earlier about a monthslong FBI probe that -- in its later stages -- was looking at a possible security breach from an affair by CIA Director David Petraeus. The day Petraeus resigned last week was not the appropriate day to tell Congress.

Nor should the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, have been kept in the dark until Election Day. Clapper then apparently informed the White House.

The most transparent admininstration evah sure seems to have kept an awful lot of secrets from the guy who's supposed to be running things. Looks like the old excuse du jour ("I inherited [fill in blank]") is about to give way to the new excuse du jour ("I had no idea this was going on!").

But that's part of being the boss: you're supposed to know what the folks who work for you are doing.

Posted by Cassandra at November 13, 2012 05:39 AM

Comments

First of all, on Secretary Clinton leaving State... called it. Second, when I heard this morning that they're SERIOUSLY considering replacing her with Susan Rice, I could not believe the sheer arrogance of such a move. They know she went before the American people and told an untruth about what happened in Benghazi. And that untruth (that the event was nothing more than a spontaneous protest against a youtube film) was either intentional because she was told to say it, or unintentional because she was an idiot and knew no better. Either way, she is unfit and the fact that they would suggest her as the next Secretary of State is ridiculous. All I can imagine is that this is her reward for making an ass out of herself in public and keeping her mouth shut about it afterwards.

Posted by: MikeD at November 13, 2012 08:29 AM

Give them enough rope? Isn't that . . . racist?

Posted by: Texan99 at November 13, 2012 08:29 AM

But Mike, in their eyes the fact that she can be induced to lie to us without their even having to resort to blackmailing her is a plus. And we've just demonstrated to them that they won't pay the tiniest price for that kind of thing at the polls.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 13, 2012 08:31 AM

...replacing her with Susan Rice, I could not believe the sheer arrogance of such a move.

It's the John Kerry suggestion that floors me. It is hard to imagine a more offensive choice. Bradley Manning, maybe.

Posted by: Grim at November 13, 2012 08:53 AM

Amen. What does it say about a leader when he has absolutely NO idea of something as basic as not putting a man who accused the entire military command structure (on no evidence, mind you) of heinous war crimes... that apparently were not heinous enough for Herr Kerry to oppose at the time... in charge of the military?

No one ever seems to think about that aspect of things: if he personally saw these things or knew of them, why didn't he speak up? And if he did not, then his testimony before Congress was nothing more than an act of shameless self promotion coupled with political opportunism.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2012 09:39 AM

That's how I see it also. Kerry is either a criminal who violated his duty as a military officer, or a liar who slandered thousands of good men in uniform for his own advantage.

I think what it says is that, for Democrats who came out of the Senate, Kerry is 'the military guy.' He's part of the club, so he must be OK, and anyone who says otherwise is just some no-account who probably isn't even a Representative, let alone anyone important.

Posted by: Grim at November 13, 2012 09:45 AM

I'm simply in denial about the Kerry nomination. To be THAT tone deaf (while in character for them) is simply unbelievable.

Posted by: MikeD at November 13, 2012 11:03 AM

Polls don't matter anymore because Obama got his reelection. We can only hope we have a repeat of 2010 in 2014 (and this time take the Senate), if we can make it that long...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at November 13, 2012 11:17 AM

Oh, and I'm really not sure how concerned Obama is for how he leaves things for the *next* Democrat to run for President. I'm already hearing that the turnout for Obama won't be able to be repeated for another Democrat because of the "special connection" (read: cult of personality) Obama has with the electorate.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at November 13, 2012 11:19 AM

Hey, this is a good move. We need more swift boats in our new brown water--I mean Littoral--Navy. I mean, if it can't even protect our coasts out to the 3-mile limit, what's it for, anyway?

...the fact that she can be induced to lie....

Rank sexism, piled on racism. What are you, some sort of...conservative!?

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at November 13, 2012 12:10 PM

Aren't we making the mistake of imagining that Democrats, or at least this administration, have anything like the view of the military that we do? For these guys, it makes perfect sense to put the military in the hands of a perceived "insider" (I heard the served in Viet Nam) who hates and mistrusts it -- a fearless whistleblower who will prevent it from committing more crimes. Grim's suggestion of Bradley Manning is not far off.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 13, 2012 12:15 PM

The problem with Kerry is that now he wants credit for being a proud Veteran. I mean, it's really shocking that he expects anyone to treat this claim with anything other than derision. And yet he clearly does: he demands to be taken seriously, and for some reason apparently is taken seriously by the Democratic leadership.

Maybe they know he secretly still hates and fears it, but I wonder. I think he believes -- as Obama said of himself -- that he ought to be thanked for what he did.

Posted by: Grim at November 13, 2012 12:26 PM

I just want to go on record that I have never sent inappropriate emails or pictures of myself to any military official, high-ranking government official, or celebrity-seeking wannabe using my real name or yours.

Thank you.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 13, 2012 02:54 PM

Thanks for changing the names, spd.

Posted by: Grim at November 13, 2012 02:58 PM

Some have argued that it's never true until it's been officially denied....

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at November 13, 2012 03:37 PM

Thanks to this news story, I now have a far better opinion of my capacity for self restraint than I formerly did.

I'm not actually a better person, mind you. I still suck. It's just that the bar is so much lower now.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2012 04:39 PM

I think that you misunderestimate what President Obama has in mind. He wants to destroy any institution in the government that could possibly resist him.

John Kerry as SecDef? Perfect. He is already halfway there with destroying morale in the Army with the entire engagement in Afghanistan. The job is for Kerry to finish.

Susan Rice proved her loyalty to His Nibs by lying repeatedly and serially on TV for him. Wreck the State Dept. ? No problem.

And the rules for the next Senate will be what Hairy Reed deems them to be. The filibuster rule will be gone. The Senate will be ruled by the absolute majority as is the House.

Think about Eric Holder being nominated to the next open seat on the Supreme Court.

It will get worse. Just watch.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 13, 2012 07:04 PM

I think the CIA/State jobs will be filled by strict Obama loyalists for the same reason that I think Holder can't leave Justice: and it's not Libya, it's Mexico.

Posted by: Grim at November 13, 2012 11:16 PM

"I just want to go on record that I have never sent inappropriate emails or pictures of myself..."

Since no one else asked, I guess it's up to me:
Does your statement mean that you have sent appropriate emails or pictures of yourself to "...any military official, high-ranking government official, or celebrity-seeking wannabe using my real name or yours."?
By what definition are you qualifying "inappropriate" versus "appropriate"?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Yanno?
0>;~}

Posted by: Snarkammando at November 14, 2012 03:26 AM

What I want to know is, what name did he use? :)

/running away

Posted by: Cassandra at November 14, 2012 07:35 AM

"By what definition are you qualifying "inappropriate" versus "appropriate"? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yanno?
0>;~}"

The definitions/standards are being fleshed-out in the Congressional Ethics Committee.

You have been warned!

Posted by: S.J. Lee at November 14, 2012 11:34 AM

Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat and Intelligence. A triple threat.

Posted by: Carolyn at November 14, 2012 11:59 AM

Jean Fraude Kerriere. Now zer we have a man of action, do we not? So full of ze ennui zat 'e figured out a way to remove eemself from ze combat de Vietman with full 'onnuers!

Posted by: PuffOntheMilitary at November 14, 2012 12:02 PM

Back when the Evil Bush was President, some of the Democrats were claiming that a monkey could do the job. I thought this was a hyperbolic sneer at the time, but it appears that they actually believe that those posts can be safely filled by fools.

Posted by: htom at November 16, 2012 12:25 AM