« More "Smart Power", Big Brother Style | Main | Organizing for Whom? »

November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Grateful for each hand we hold
Gathered round this table.
From far and near we travel home,
Blessed that we are able.

Grateful for this sheltered place
With light in every window,
Saying "welcome, welcome
Come in, away from sorrow."

Father, mother, daughter, son,
Neighbor, friend and friendless;
All together everyone
In the gift of loving kindness.

Grateful for what’s understood,
And all that is forgiven;
We try so hard to be good,
To lead a life worth living.

Father, mother, daughter, son,
Neighbor, friend, and friendless;
All together everyone
Let grateful days be endless.

Grateful for each hand we hold
Gathered round this table

On this day of thanksgiving, I hope your lives are filled with just one small part of the joy you all have brought to this gathering place over the years. May you be surrounded by the love of family and friends and comforted by happy memories of those who have passed before us, but will always come home for the holidays.

Posted by Cassandra at November 22, 2012 09:44 AM

Comments

Happy Thanksgiving, Cassandra. You're one of the things I'm thankful for.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 22, 2012 09:57 AM

My wish for peace, prosperity, and many blessings go to you, your family, the half-vast editorial staff at VC, and all the villains who gather here and to those who might claim them.

Posted by: bthun at November 22, 2012 10:00 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all. May your day be full of good food, good friends and good football....oh, wait, the Lions and Jets are on the day's schedule....oh, well, good food and good friends, then.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 22, 2012 11:02 AM

May your day be full of good food, good friends and good football... oh, wait, the Lions and Jets are on the day's schedule.

Redskins vs. Cowboys. GO REDSKINS!!! :)

Love you guys.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 22, 2012 12:17 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Among all the things for which I'm grateful are these blogs, with which I've met a number of good folks, and my wife's continued health and prosperity after her breast cancer all those years ago.

Redskins vs. Cowboys. GO REDSKINS!!!

Well, as a Redskins coach (almost) said some years ago, "The future was yesterday."

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at November 22, 2012 01:27 PM

Amen, Eric :)

GO RGIII!!!

Posted by: Cassandra at November 22, 2012 01:35 PM

All the best to you and yours, on what I hope was a happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Grim at November 22, 2012 02:01 PM

To you and yours, ma'am, and all of your commenters and theirs, a most happy Thanksgiving, and many more to come.

Posted by: htom at November 22, 2012 06:50 PM

Tonight at home I happened to catch a repeat of a show on HLN Network of Robert Stokely's visit to Iraq to go to the place his son Mike died (Yusifiyah).

Cass wrote about Mike some years ago, and Robert actually commented here. I felt a distant cosmic touch with him through that.

Robert seems to have at last come to his peace about the death of his son. He is in a better place now, personally.

Lest we forget all that we have to be thankful for, and for those good and decent men and women who are serving far from home today, who aren't with kith and kin.

God bless you all and especially my dear friend Cassandra, who has tolerated all my snark and stupid remarks for a lot of years.

Today was a good day, as my family was just about all together (less my nephew and his girlfriend that live in Montana). There's a lot of things wrong in the world, but today a few things were right.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 22, 2012 11:22 PM

Robert didn't quite make it, as I recall the story, but I've been there. I remembered his son in that place that was once called FOB St. Michael.

Posted by: Grim at November 23, 2012 12:05 AM

Grim

That's right. The Iraqi Army kept them out for fear of IED's planted on the road where Mike died.

Robert had a bad anxiety attack, the heartbreak and disappointment of just not quite getting there. He had memorized the whole area, and was trying to guide their road convoy around the checkpoints and roadblocks.

But I think he has come to finally accept and come to a peace with his son's death. He took it very hard, and the nasty carping in the Media about Iraq has been hard on a lot of vets and family of wounded and KIA. He and others have dedicated to doing something memorable for Mike and his memory. There is a foundation now in his name.

We move on. Thank you for serving, and may God be with you and your family this season.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 23, 2012 10:50 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Cass, and to all who comment here. I've gained a great deal of insight through blogs such as yours. But it is here that I know I can arrive and be provided a dose of laughter, a dose of snark, a dose of 'now why didn't I think of that?', and most of all, many doses of insight and knowledge I never would've otherwise received.

thank you for posting that beautiful poem and may God continue to richly bless you and yours!

Posted by: Nina at November 23, 2012 10:44 PM

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday :)

Posted by: Cassandra at November 25, 2012 09:44 PM

We did...and thank you for being here. I teared up reading about Mike. I can only say that I am thankful I had my son to love and cherish for 16 years, and I hope Robert is able to get to that place. It takes time to do that. In the meantime, I will continue to offer up my prayers that the families of soldiers will find peace, healing, and hope.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Posted by: Carolyn at November 26, 2012 09:45 AM

Cass,
What an elegant prayer. Leatherness and I had the pleasure of a long visit from #1 daughter and her two sons and friend of Grandson the elder. There had been a silly spat for the last six months and we were both happy that the visit went well, and the meal was acceptable. Grandson elder (HS Junior)now aspires to some career in law enforcement. His BFF buddy continues to want to be a Marine, and will easily do so, and probably be a good one. They both suffer from facial acne: remember? Good kids. Grandson the younger is a constant pal/companion/pest to the older boys, but a beautiful 13-year old boy.

Best to you and your family.

Tom