« Write Your Own Thomas Friedman Column | Main | Children, Our Values, Culture, The World We All Live In... »

December 31, 2012

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?

Could it be ... the headlights on the Clue Bus?

By the following spring, they were talking openly about marriage. Pepper knew it was right because she found herself being flexible in ways she never had before. “It was probably the first time in my whole life where I’ve been willing to compromise,” she says. “In the past I’d say, ‘Well that’s just me, that’s my personality, and if you try to change it, it wouldn’t be me.’ That’s an interesting stance, but it’s a good way to be alone for the rest of your life.”

Good Lord.

Posted by Cassandra at December 31, 2012 06:22 AM

Comments

That article really set my teeth on edge, perhaps unfairly.

I'll add my Good Lord to yours (the selfish arrogance of which really grabbed at me):

...by the time we did get physical, she was like, 'Took you long enough!' "

Never mind that Pepper had been holding him at arm's length all that time.

I've told this story before, but maybe it bears repeating in this context. I proposed to my wife four weeks after we met, and the only reason the wedding took an additional six weeks to run through was because that was the time required to harmonize the schedules of those we wanted present.

Oh, and her wedding dress didn't come out of any froo-froo catalog, nor did my wedding wear: we wore our USAF mess dress. And looked quite spiffy, if not up to the exalted heights of Army or Marine semi-formal wear.

As a TV Marine Major once said, "See the hill, take the hill." Don't dither, and don't be distracted or held back by the underbrush.

Eric Hines

Posted by: E Hines at December 31, 2012 09:43 AM

What really floored me was this:

How does one get to be an adult with such a self-centered world view?

Posted by: Cassandra at December 31, 2012 10:07 AM

Oh good lord is right!!

My takeaway from the article?? Two very selfish people will get married . . and then soon divorced because they can't get out of their own way.

I don't see anything in that article that indicates a willingness of either to work hard at the relationship now or into the future . . .

Posted by: Nina at December 31, 2012 11:01 AM

I think you've hit upon the great secret, Cass. You need to find a way to broadcast it to the young people of the world. Not that they'll listen. :)

Posted by: Grim at December 31, 2012 03:20 PM

That's OK - my sons tuned me out for many moons too :p

I think that's just part of being a parent.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 31, 2012 05:07 PM