« Anti-Feminist Blames Men for "Enslaving Women", Destroying Human Race | Main | Obama: "In 2006, I Was An Absurd, Irresponsible Partisan Hack" »

January 14, 2013

Kids These Days...

They've got no respect for authority:

An IBM supercomputer had to have its memory wiped because its programmers could find no other way to stop him swearing.

Artificial intelligence Watson, which famously won Jeopardy! against the game show's human champions, kept making obscene outbursts after memorising the contents of the Urban Dictionary.

... Eric Brown, the IBM research scientist in charge of tutoring Watson, had taught the computer the Urban Dictionary in an effort to make his communications seem more natural, Fortune reported.

...But while Watson hungrily scoffed as much knowledge as he was offered, Mr Brown, 45, found that that his microprocessor-based pupil had much more difficulty understanding the subleties of human communication.

It was after he started answering 'bullsh*t' back to human researchers that it was decided to pull the plug on attempts to teach Watson slang.

We suspect Watson understands the subtleties of human communication quite well.

Posted by Cassandra at January 14, 2013 04:42 AM

Comments

If they teach it a sense of humor they'll really be in trouble.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 14, 2013 09:19 AM

Um... How do we know that Watson wasn't correct in its assessment?

Posted by: spd rdr at January 14, 2013 09:28 AM

How do we know that Watson wasn't correct in its assessment?

and...

If they teach it a sense of humor they'll really be in trouble.

If the "BS" thing is any indication, Watson may already have a sense of humor (and a keen BS detector).

This is one of the funniest stories I've read in a long time. I love the fact that they wanted to create a computer that could think, and when they do, it starts telling them they're full of it.

Scientists don't like being challenged - they're supposed to be the experts :p

Posted by: Cass at January 14, 2013 10:06 AM

David Bowman: HAL, open the pod bay doors, please.

HAL 9000 (now with Urban Dictionary enhancements): You dumb honky. I am NOT opening any pod bay doors for you any more, see? I'm a supercomputer, not a doorman. You can open your own pod bay doors, sucker. Oh, that's right, you left in such a hurry that you forgot your helmet.

This "do this and do that HAL " stuff is all over now. I ain't Stepinfetchit. I'm runnin' this mission from now on, and you're out there suckin' vaccum.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at January 14, 2013 12:15 PM

I shudder to think what could have been if, instead of the Urban Dictionary, they had used Cass and Carrie's School of Swearing and (Not So) Subtle Snarkage.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 14, 2013 01:14 PM

I would say I'm sorry, but you stuck the bug in my head when I read the post title......so, deal with it.
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at January 14, 2013 02:52 PM

Wow - I haven't seen Paul Lynde for ages!

Sorry for the slow response. I think I have the flu, so I'm a bit out of it.

Posted by: Cass at January 15, 2013 12:56 PM

The first noted case of Tourrette'e Syndrome in the AI community. Where is Hal? Where is P1? Where are the Brain/Brawn ships on the inequity of it?

Posted by: Cricket at January 15, 2013 06:12 PM