« Obama's "Read My Lips" Moment | Main | More Union Violence and Thuggery »

January 07, 2013

Wasn't this the guy we prayed would save conservatism from Mitt Romney?

They hypocrisy of New York and New Jersey politicians blasting Boehner for not bringing up the pork-laden bill that was supposed to be for emergency relief for areas hit by Hurricane Sandy is beyond ridiculous. I got emails all day long from Chris Christie's PR people who wanted to be sure that word got out about him criticizing Republicans for not passing the bill despite the fact that they had well-reasoned criticisms of stuffing the bill with five times as much pork as money for Sandy victims. And now the House, right on schedule, has passed a pared-down bill with money targeted just for aid to victims of Sandy. So instead of spending $60 billion, they spent $9.7 billion. The pork can wait. And the political grandstanding can grind to a halt. I know that Christie is up for reelection, but does he have to be so unnecessarily obvious about trying to score political points off of criticizing Republicans?

We blame John Boehner.

Posted by Cassandra at January 7, 2013 06:32 AM

Comments

I'm awfully disappointed in Christie. Pork-lading and midnight-rushing are two bad legislative habits.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 7, 2013 10:37 AM

Anyone who thought Christie was a "true conservative" has been willfully blind. He is a typical Northeastern liberal Republican.

He's just a loudmouth about it.

And when he's being a loudmouth to the other side, it can be quite entertaining. But make no mistake about loudmouths, they'll be just as obnoxious against you, too.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 7, 2013 10:41 AM

...make no mistake about loudmouths, they'll be just as obnoxious against you, too.

I think Yu-Ain nailed it in one.

For some reason I will never understand, a lot of folks (and this isn't aimed at you, Tex, as I don't think I've ever heard you do this) on our side continually confuse combativeness with conservatism.

But it takes no special bravery (or ideological commitment) for a people who are combative and/or blunt by nature to be themselves. The world is full of polemicists - that's a style, not a statement of core principles.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 7, 2013 11:07 AM

While I have liked how Christie has dealt with unions and such in NJ, I have had my reservations about him for other things (in particular, his stance re: the 2nd Amendment). That was just reinforced the way he (IMHO) stabbed Romney in the back after Sandy, being all buddy-buddy with Obama for the photo op. He should have been like Bloomberg (who I don't trust any further than I could throw him) and say "I've got too much to do for my constituents who are suffering from the consequences of the storm to play host to you right now, Mr. President"....

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at January 7, 2013 03:48 PM

"I've got a lot on my plate right now, Mr President. If you would like to help, you can join me over at ..."

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 7, 2013 04:37 PM

I think Christie often calls BS when that's just what's needed, and he does it in style. But in this context, he's blind to anything but the need to bring home the pork.

Posted by: Texan99 at January 9, 2013 09:20 AM