« Democracy And Its Discontents | Main | "Don't Photoshop Me, Bro!", Shooting Yourself in the Foot Edition »

February 02, 2013

"A Fierce Armadillo Hunter"

Barney the White House Terrier, that dashing countermeasures expert who (when not decapitating reporters, helping Teh Shrub shred the Bill of Rights, or digging up the bones of brave truth-to-powerers from betwixt the Latin Ladies in the Rose Garden) was widely suspected of masterminding U.S. black ops in the Global War Against Man Caused Disasters, has gone to a better place at the ripe old age of 12:

Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green. Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps. Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.

During the Bu$Hitler years, Barney was a frequent subject of our unique brand of editorial inanity.

No more will we experience the thrill of BarneyCam. We shared a distant and all-too-brief bark once. It was a magic moment, frozen in time for all eternity and now, cherished as a reminder of the evanescence of all good things.

Our deepest condolences to the Bush family. Nous sommes désolé.

Posted by Cassandra at February 2, 2013 10:10 AM

Comments

Dogs are made of love.

Posted by: Cass at February 2, 2013 10:53 AM

It is gravely unfair that our life spans are so different.

Posted by: Grim at February 2, 2013 11:19 AM

It's amazing how much I still miss Sausage. The world looks very grey this morning :(

Posted by: Cass at February 2, 2013 11:31 AM

Yes, it is a diminishing pain, but one that never disappears completely. I still miss Cindy, Boots, Moocho Poocho, Pooh Bear, Queenie, Zephir, Margot, Pumpkin, Jesse James, Cosmo, Nancy, Kitty, and my dear Kirby. Heaven is a better place for all our pets living there.

Posted by: Susanamantha at February 2, 2013 02:36 PM

I hate that I outlive my beloved pets. But then, it's terrible if they outlive us, too, unless we're completely sure who will take them on. It's very upsetting to see animals dumped in the pound when their owners die or even go to assisted living, and there are no friends or family to take them in.

I've always thought it would be hard to be responsible for a long-lived animal like a parrot or an elephant: a little like worrying about a disabled child.

Posted by: Texan99 at February 2, 2013 03:46 PM

I met such a bird in Dunedin, Florida, at a clothes shop there. His name was Charlie Bird. He'd already outlived one owner, and his then current owner had already picked out a much younger lady to be his owner when she passed on. He was surprisingly nice for a bird.

Still not the same as a good dog, though.

Posted by: Grim at February 2, 2013 04:49 PM