« Blogging Note | Main | Some Good News »

February 15, 2013

“I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded”

Head exploding sound byte of the day. What in the holy hell does this even mean?

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers' jobs.

"I don't think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded."

Do you feel like you are "rewarding" your job when you show up each morning?

Do you think you should be paid regardless of whether you get the job done or not?

I'm still waiting for these jackwagons to pass a budget. That's job one and they haven't done it for four years. It's their job to negotiate some kind of deal so the sequester doesn't happen.

The suggestion that Congress should get paid the same whether they actually do their jobs or not (or that they should escape the consequences of their own ineptitude) is just stunning.

Posted by Cassandra at February 15, 2013 03:15 PM

Comments

I'm wracking my brain to imagine what word she might have been thinking of when she somehow came up with "rewarded." The dignified job with which we have been rewarded by a trusting public?

Posted by: Texan99 at February 15, 2013 04:26 PM

"the job with which we have been entrusted" would have made a lot more sense. But expecting sense out of that particular public "servant" is a fool's game.

Posted by: MikeD at February 15, 2013 04:33 PM

I think congress should be required to live in enlisted level barracks (nice enlisted barracks are fine - two man rooms were such a luxury), eat at an Army run DFAC and get E-7 pay. Then maybe we can talk some respect.

Posted by: Pogue at February 15, 2013 05:20 PM

Come on now, give her some victimhood - dyslexia. It's positively Bard of Avonish if you unmuddle it for her.

Think I it's necessary that we have of dignity? For to have the... the job, rewarded us.

Posted by: George Pal at February 15, 2013 05:31 PM

She had to give the speech before she could find out what she'd said.

Posted by: Texan99 at February 15, 2013 05:50 PM

Oh, I think a little dignity in Congress would be just great.
How about you, Jesse Jackson, Jr.?

Posted by: spd rdr at February 15, 2013 06:10 PM

I just posted on this: Respect Her Authoritah

She is now to be known as Nancy Cartman-Pelosi

Posted by: david foster at February 15, 2013 06:39 PM

Now we can't expect our Congressfolk to take a pay cut in this rough economy. Why, Nancy Pelosi herself is only worth about $35 million. What kind of example would it set if she had to go on some sort of austerity diet?

Posted by: Grim at February 15, 2013 08:28 PM

I think the "rewarded" thing is in the same ballpark as, "I bought the sweater from the saleslady that cost $4.98." What Pelosi probably meant was:

I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity rewarded.

What dignity? The dignity "of the job that we have".

Of course, the whole thing is a mess in terms of grammar and logic. She uses "we" four times and it seems to mean (in succession) "the country"; "everyone"; "Congress"; "Congress". She also used "us" once and there I'm not sure if she means "Congress" or "the country". So, translated, she seems to be saying:

I don't think [the country] should do it; I think [everyone] should respect the work [Congress] do[es]," Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. "I think it's necessary for [Congress or the country] to have the dignity [of Congress' job] rewarded.

Of course, it doesn't make any logical sense - what does it mean to reward dignity - but what strikes me as really strange about this statement is that Mrs. Pelosi is Catholic. If I wanted to make this point, I'd just say, "The laborer is worthy of his hire." But then I don't have speech writers to help me out.

Posted by: Elise at February 15, 2013 08:32 PM

Dignity we much!

Posted by: The Right Reverand Al at February 15, 2013 10:26 PM

If you have been waiting for them to pass a budget, please don't hold your breath.

Why is it that companies offer incentives, such as bonuses, etc. that GOVERNMENT opposes?

Just asking...

Posted by: PuffOnMeds at February 15, 2013 11:15 PM

Ah! I think Elise has it right. "I think it's necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded" is a clumsy job of stringing together dependent clauses with confusing passive structures. She may have meant "I think it's necessary for the taxpayers to reward the dignity of our jobs." As in, "I deserve to have the dignified work I do rewarded," or "I deserve a reward for the dignity of my work." "The job we have" means "Our jobs." The "have" isn't an auxiliary that goes with the past participle "rewarded." Man, that would be some sentence diagram. It probably came out worse in print, because we missed some kind of inflection of voice on "rewarded."

I think she should receive a reward commensurate with the dignity of her work, too. We'd all save money.

It reminds me of a story Kurt Vonnegut told about his brother the scientist. An insurance inspector was horrified by his lab, which was a messy place full of deadly traps for unwary visitors. His brother tapped his own skull and said, "You should see what it's like in here."

Posted by: Texan99 at February 16, 2013 02:21 PM

Heck, I've thought for a while now that, for every month Congress can't pass a budget, their salary should run in reverse (i.e. they pay a sum equivalent to their monthly salary and benefits back to the Treasury).

Posted by: Matt at February 16, 2013 10:51 PM

"She had to give the speech before she could find out what she'd said."

T99 that was just the giggle I needed after reading AFE on the next post.
Thx.