« "At No Time Did My Fingers Leave My Hands" | Main | “I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded” »

February 15, 2013

Blogging Note

I will have something up by noon today. I started a few posts last night but have not had time to finish them.

Posted by Cassandra at February 15, 2013 08:32 AM

Comments

2:17 pm Easter Time

You are a slacker. {:^)>

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 15, 2013 02:19 PM

I know! I'm sorry - my hair is totally on fire today at work.

It's like the perfect storm :p I haven't even had my breakfast yet!

Posted by: Cass at February 15, 2013 02:31 PM

So... What did you guys and gals give up for Lent?

Posted by: spd rdr at February 15, 2013 03:05 PM

Breakfast??? :)

Seriously, I have not formally given anything up for Lent in years, but I am trying to cut way back on alcohol.

Don't think I drink to excess, but I do not need the calories.

Posted by: Cass at February 15, 2013 03:29 PM

As usual, I gave up alcoholic beverages, except this year I'm making an explicit exception for days if I should be ill. Then, patiently enduring the lack of health will substitute for the no-beer rule. You?

Posted by: Grim at February 15, 2013 03:31 PM

Alcohol for me, too. I've found I can't make any exceptions and still stick to the decision in any meaningful way. That's not quite true: I don't give up trace amounts in cooking sauces.

Posted by: Texan99 at February 15, 2013 04:24 PM

This year I gave up playing video games. I know, it sounds like something a teenager might do, but I really LIKE playing video games. They're addictive as all hell, too. Actually, I don't really play "video games." That's just time wasting for kids. No, I waste my time on racing and flight simulators. I get in maybe an hour or two most every morning taking a few laps around Nordschleife or VIR in a GT-3 or maybe try a carrier mission or two in the cockpit of a Grumman Hellcat. (I actually get up early to do this, having learned over time that playing such simulators when family members are awake has a tendency to suddenly turn me into the most popular and necessary person on the planet - even more so when I am in the midst of fending off an attack by a schwarm of angry Messerschmidts or attempting to land an over-ladened Learjet at Teluride, in a crosswind, at night, in the rain, alone....)
So... for the next 40 days or so I'm going to have find something else to do with myself in the pre-dawn hours. Maybe sleep in? Nah...

Posted by: spd rdr at February 15, 2013 04:49 PM

I hear you. Skyrim could have been written for me personally.

Posted by: Grim at February 15, 2013 07:15 PM

I wonder if those simulators don't give both of you the chance to use an aptitude or skill that you don't get to use enough in daily life?

I mostly find computer games very boring. My sons play, but they just don't hold my attention for more than a moment or two. I can't recall ever wanting to play one, except for a game we bought the boys in the mid 90s.

I became completely obsessed with it :p

The part I liked was that you were wandering around a very real world, and solving mysteries. You would meet characters and had to ask them the right question (and solve puzzles in the right order) or you drew attacks.

So I can understand why a game might be addictive. It's just that I never found another game that was that well written again. I think it must have been an anomaly.

Posted by: Cass at February 16, 2013 10:30 AM

Well, Skyrim is about slaying dragons in an environment closely based on the Viking sagas. I'm afraid its appeal may merely be that. :)

Posted by: Grim at February 16, 2013 08:59 PM