« The VC Annual "Hating on Valentine's Day" Post | Main | Sheer Genius »

February 07, 2013

File Under "Don't Be Tacky"

We now know why we don't watch the Grammy's:

The Grammys, known for its over-the-top provocative performances by the world's top musicians, and home to some of the sexiest red-carpet dresses during awards season, seems to be smarting up.

Yesterday CBS sent a Wardrobe Advisory to all attendees and performers in advance of the 55th Annual Grammys, which will be broadcast this Sunday.

Asking that all talent appearing on camera 'adhere to Network policy concerning wardrobe,' the email stipulated that 'buttocks and female breasts [must be] adequately covered.'

Good for CBS. Their venue, their rules.

In our more foolish moments, we dream of a world in which married men won't feel the need to publicly regale complete strangers with continual references to how often they gratify themselves while fantasizing about having sex with women they aren't married to (where the hell are these guys' wives when this idiocy is going on?) and grown women won't petulantly demand to be treated "just like men" while doing everything in their power to be viewed as nothing more than the disposable sex objects they think men secretly see women as.

It's no surprise that we all have urges, but we have very little interest in learning about other people's. We don't even find our own all that noteworthy.

Posted by Cassandra at February 7, 2013 07:30 PM

Comments

I think 'not hearing about people's urges' ought to be a reasonable request. If we are to take Dr. Martha Nussbaum seriously, however, it can't be more than a request.

It's a strange sort of society we're embarking upon, in which the government abandons obscenity laws, but corporations decide to enforce them. Instead of the franchise, you'll have the right to write a letter of complaint to CBS.

Posted by: Grim at February 8, 2013 12:54 AM

Nussbaum sounds like a first rate nitwit.

This period in history reminds me a lot of the late 60s and 70s and all the idiocy with primal scream therapy (you can't hide or suppress any emotion -- it's UNHEALTHY!).

What they found out was that expressing a lot of negative emotions only strengthens them and there was a good deal to be said for the stiff upper lip of yore :p

We used to understand that the difference between being civilized and savage lay in self-discipline self restraint (and furthermore that most people don't/won't restrain themselves naturally or voluntarily). A lot of behaviors associated with civilization aren't natural and require practice.

Every time I hear someone going on about how X behavior is "natural", I always think "Well, murder and rape and theft are natural too, but that doesn't mean we don't do our best to discourage them."

Posted by: Cass at February 8, 2013 07:35 AM

where the hell are these guys' wives when this idiocy is going on?

They're engaged in their own self-destructive, soul-crushing, relationship-killing gratification.

Purse Shopping :©)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 8, 2013 08:56 AM

It's funny - I have 8 or 10 purses in my closet but only b/c I rarely throw things away. I've been using the same purse for a good 6 or 7 years now. It was expensive (a Christmas gift from my husband after I fell in love with it in a catalog, but I would never have bought it for myself), but if you look at how long I've used it and the fact that it still looks like new, it was a real bargain.

Maybe their wives are the ones writing all those dumb, soul baring relationship articles in the NY Times! You know, where the woman goes on in mind numbing detail about how hard it is to love or respect their spouses?

Those things make me cringe every time I see them. If so, they deserve each other :p

Posted by: Cass at February 8, 2013 09:04 AM

If so, they deserve each other :p

I'm a big fan of the Darwin Awards concept when it comes to relationships. The dating pool is vastly improved by these knuckleheads pairing off with each other.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 8, 2013 09:12 AM

Well, jus' so everybody knows what we'll be missin'
The New York Daily News (who else?) takes us on a trip down Gra-mammary Lane...

I can't believe that I missed all the good stuff...

Pitchers and catchers report February 15th.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 8, 2013 10:43 AM

The entertainment industry's talent greatly reveals itself in such awards extravaganzas as less talent and more exhibition. I have a 'thing' for women singers such as Diana Krall, Diane Schurr, and Tierney Sutton and would note these women have more talent than the exhibitionists and get short shrift for it. Hearing the incredibly powerful and honeyed female voice of Diane Schurr sing 'Nobody Does Me' makes me tingle in places that have no business tingling. Thrusting about in thongs is not talent - it's a cover for the lack of it.

Posted by: George Pal at February 8, 2013 10:45 AM

I guess the days of "Oh sweet mystery of life at last I found you..." are out of favor. Pity. We men shall endeavor to continue holding doors open for the fairer sex and suffer the occasional tongue lashing from those who prefer to open their own doors. Pity.

Posted by: vet66 at February 9, 2013 04:33 PM

I didn't watch, but had heard the song of the year winner and its a good popular song.
But this was the best song I heard last year:
Leonard Cohen, and the aptly named "Darkness"
Blues to crank up, especially the bass.

Posted by: tomg51 at February 12, 2013 08:23 AM