« Unprecedented Transparency | Main | Serious Reporting, As Practiced by The Business Insider »

February 19, 2013

Say It Isn't So!

If another male politician makes an insensitive and insulting remark about rape, will it result in a media feeding frenzy? We're guessing.... not:

Democratic Colorado state Rep. Joe Salazar apologized Monday for suggesting some women are so unjustifiably afraid of being raped that they are liable to start shooting wildly.

Salazar, arguing in favor of disarming college students, said Friday on the Colorado House floor that women fearing rape may suddenly and haphazardly ”pop a round at somebody.”

“It’s why we have call boxes; it’s why we have safe zones; it’s why we have the whistles — because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shooting at. And you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop … pop a round at somebody,” Salazar said.

Aye chihuahua, hombres. It's a good thing we don't have a woman in the White House. We shudder to think what might happen if she got her hands on the nuclear football during "that time of the month", IYKWIMAITYD.

Posted by Cassandra at February 19, 2013 06:58 AM

Comments

Something that hadn't struck me till just now about the PMS stuff. Most women who have run for President or VP are likely post-menopausal. Now, I may not know any of this stuff first hand (being just a dude), but I'm pretty sure women past menopause do not get PMS. The lack of menstruation being my first clue.

Posted by: MikeD at February 19, 2013 08:33 AM

Mike, that made me laugh out loud :)

I will say that there are hormones associated with the normal changes one goes through in one's 40s and 50s, but that's true of both sexes (mid-life crisis, anyone?).

But that was a good catch!

Posted by: Cass at February 19, 2013 08:55 AM

But do we have safe words?

Inquiring minds...

Posted by: PuffOnMeds at February 19, 2013 09:57 AM

Clearly any CCL issued to a woman should be invalid for several days every month.

Posted by: Texan99 at February 19, 2013 12:23 PM

Oh, I don't know, T99....I would think that announcing "I have PMS and a gun." would be more frightening than, "We're from the government, and we're here to help."
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 19, 2013 01:38 PM

So frightening that Democratic legislators wouldn't dream of authorizing it!

Posted by: Texan99 at February 19, 2013 02:24 PM

Mike, that made me laugh out loud :)

Happy to oblige, ma'am.

Posted by: MikeD at February 19, 2013 04:30 PM

"Am I out of tampons? Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Sorry, just this is so stupid. Right down there with the real rape nonsense.

Posted by: htom at February 19, 2013 05:21 PM

Y'all's comments were just what the dr ordered. As a resident of Denver - I can tell you - it took me a few days to calm down after hearing about Salazar's *cough 'brilliance'. And no - I wasn't PMS'ing! LOL

Not really wanting to spike anyone's blood pressure . . .

However, the info below was published about the same day as Salazar's open mouth, insert both feet statement. Supposedly it was a list published as a 'last resort' for those women who've taken an intense self defense class called RAD. List was originally published in 2006. I'd suggest a beverage of choice be in hand prior to reading . . .

Posted by: Nina at February 23, 2013 04:12 PM