« Thursday Morning Lyrics | Main | No Fault Divorce and Child Support: Myths and Facts »

March 15, 2013

Mirabile Dictu!!!

At long last, the media discovers that rarest of rare things: something women *can't* do better than men:

In the war of the sexes, it is their perceived talent at multi-tasking that often gives women the upper hand.

But the belief that they are better at juggling jobs than men is a myth, psychologists claim.

Both sexes are equally poor at dividing their attention, according to research.

Equality being all the rage these days, we find ourselves profoundly grateful that in this one instance at least, no one is any better than anyone else. Men of VC, you are on notice: please avoid your tiresome displays of masculine competence, lest they upset this precarious balance and upset the equality apple cart :p

Posted by Cassandra at March 15, 2013 06:08 AM

Comments

For the record, I have never maintained that I am poor at multitasking due to my gender. I just claim that I am poor at multitasking. So Pppppppbbthththththth!

Posted by: MikeD at March 15, 2013 08:22 AM

I've always thought everyone was pretty bad at multitasking, and it gets worse as we age.

The spousal unit and I both noticed several years ago that our ability to concentrate on one thing was circling the drain. The internet, email, and the ability to have 90000 application windows open at one time is really death to any kind of serious thought. I'm constantly fighting the urge to skim things instead of read them, or jump from one task to another without finishing what I started.

I used to have comments emailed to me at my private address, but had to stop that b/c I found myself checking it way too often. I hate that, because now I often miss some comments entirely but it was killing my concentration.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 15, 2013 08:31 AM

Pet peeve: IM-ing at work.

I like being able to prioritize/ignore email (though I almost never do). Having a little box pop up when I'm trying to do something or carry on a telephone conversation is maddening.

Posted by: Cassandra - Unrepentant Luddite at March 15, 2013 08:33 AM

IMs are not so much of a problem for me, but that's because I'm not afraid to tell people "I'm on the phone, I'll get back with you" or "I'm working on something right now, I'll let you know when I get a moment." What I DON'T do is let them monopolize my time. "But I just have a quick question!" gets hammered by me. "If I had time for a quick question, I'd have said so." It's amazing how people react when you call them on their nonsense. Very few times, someone persists, and them I just ignore.

Posted by: MikeD at March 15, 2013 09:15 AM

It's not uncommon at the end of the day for me to have one or two unanswered IMs lurking in the taskbar :p

But I agree, that's the way to handle it. If I'm on the phone, I just tell them I'll call when I'm off. I really prefer the phone to IM-ing - you get things settled much faster and you can get back to what you were doing.

I also have a bad habit of leaving "busy" in my status - that helps!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 15, 2013 09:27 AM

I'm great at the multi- part. It's the tasking where I fall down.

Posted by: Texan99 at March 15, 2013 10:56 AM