« Spoiler Alert: Yet Another Weaponized Budget Designed to Fail | Main | Seeming vs. Substance »

April 11, 2013

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elephant.jpg

Knowing the Editorial Staff's oft professed adoration of all things pachydermal, you totally knew we'd be covering this shocking story:

A reward from multiple sources is being offered in the drive-by shooting of an Asian elephant with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

A total of $21,250 is being offered for information leading to the conviction of the responsible person or persons responsible for shooting and injuring the female elephant named Carol on Tuesday while she was in an enclosure outside the BancorpSouth Arena in downtown Tupelo.

The circus has offered $10,000 toward the reward. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the animal-rights group PETA each pitched in $5,000. Crime Stoppers of North Mississippi contributed $1,000 and $250 is coming from former 1st District U.S. Rep. Travis Childers.

Good on them. The pachyderm is a noble and underappreciated beast. Once we got over our outrage at the callous attack on poor Carol the Elephant, we couldn't help thinking of another elephant story:

Posted by Cassandra at April 11, 2013 08:06 AM

Comments

I'm surprised it took you this long to get around to this.
Yer slackin'...
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 11, 2013 12:40 PM

I actually read this several days ago but I've been so busy at work I didn't have time to do anything with it :p

But then I reminded myself: Elephants are Important Animals.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 11, 2013 01:56 PM

I'm not sure which is sadder:
1) That an elephant was a victim of a drive by shooting, or
2) that given drive-by shootings typically involve lots of rounds fired, it only got hit *once*.

True, an elephant is not quite as big as the proverbial broad side of a barn, but still.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 11, 2013 02:35 PM

Well, thank you. I was so appalled by the idea of someone shooting an elephant that I was going to be bummed all evening, until I watched that clip. Such a show.

Posted by: Texan99 at April 11, 2013 10:34 PM

We played this video clip again last night for some neighbors at dinner, and all four of us about choked to death. It's wonderful watching a bunch of professional comedians try to avoid letting one of their colleagues make them break out of straight-faced character. And then at the end, the Momma character gets her revenge, after Tim Conway did a nearly superhuman job staying deadpan while he drove the rest of them crazy.

What a great show.