« Those Pesky, Long Term Trends | Main | Joy »

April 18, 2013

Whew! Congress Definitely *Not* Overthinking Life...

Whilst snidely pondering Googling up the STOCK act amendments for Grim, the Editorial Staff ran across this delightfully amusing snippet:

The STOCK Act was modified on April 15, 2013, by S.716. This amendment removes the online disclosure portion of the STOCK Act, so that affected persons can no longer file online and these records are no longer easily accessible to the public. [11] The reasoning for this change was to prevent cyber criminals from gaining access to the financial data and using it against affected persons.

This bill was introduced by Senator Harry Reid on April 11, 2013. It was considered by the Senate for 10 seconds and passed with unanimous consent. In the house, S.716 received only 14 seconds before being passed by unanimous consent.

We'll say this for Congresscritters - they are getting more efficient every day.

Oh, and here you go, Grim.

Posted by Cassandra at April 18, 2013 01:03 PM

Comments

It only took me eight seconds to read this post.
And 278 seconds to type this comment.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 18, 2013 03:05 PM

That's why we call him "spd rdr" :p

Posted by: spd typr at April 18, 2013 04:03 PM

I've now carefully studied all of the photographs of the crowd at the finish line of the Boston Marathon at the approximate time the bombs were place into position (it took me 13 seconds), and am now prepared to announce that the following persons are no longer "persons of interest" or "suspects" in this heinous crime :
1. Jimmy Durante
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. Francis the Talking Mule
4. Gumby and Pokey
5. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
6. The Lemmon Sisters
7. Barnacle Bill the Sailor
8. Mount Rushmore
9. Magilla Gorilla, and
10.Chef Boy-ar-dee

I'll bring you further updates as I make them up or read them on the internet.

Thank you.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 18, 2013 05:01 PM

When tragedies like this happen, I always think that there must be something terribly wrong with me. I haven't read a single article about the bombing. I watched one or two news stories, but I don't have much curiosity (and to be brutally honest) much patience with the 24/7 media hand wringing.

I was that way with 9/11 too - aside from the first day when I was sent home from work early and was waiting for the Unit to get home from the Pentagon, I didn't watch much of the early coverage. And even that day, I was calling family and friends to let them know he was OK, and trying to track down his Mom who was traveling in Ireland.

Eventually, when they actually know something, I will read up on it. But I always feel incredibly guilty for not wanting to immerse myself in it. Something in me feels like the coverage is manipulative.

Kind of embarrassing to admit. I don't lack sympathy. It's just that it's all so over the top that it leaves part of me cold.

Posted by: Cass at April 18, 2013 05:18 PM

Don't be embarrassed. Leave that to me. It's my strong suit. Now that the FBI has (finally) decided to unveil its prime suspects, maybe the media and the public will (finally) be able to assist the cops in the capture of these fiends. The last few days have been a complete clown show with both the leftie and the rightie media falling over each other to be the FIRST to publish the completely wrong information based upon their super secret sources. Nobody get you the REAL info faster than spd rdr, folks. Nobody.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 18, 2013 05:56 PM

Amen, mr rdr. Though I am going to keep my eye on Mount Rushmore. Just.in.case. :p

Posted by: Cass at April 18, 2013 06:48 PM

Gramercy, Princess. For now the GPO still shows an error if you try to pull up the text of the law, but that's where it will be when they do publish it. :) They do helpfully explain that the error just means they haven't published the text yet.

Posted by: Grim at April 18, 2013 07:25 PM

That's interesting -- it's been over a week now since the law was signed, and they still haven't published it. I wonder if that's usual.

Posted by: Grim at April 22, 2013 01:10 PM