« Feedback from The Field | Main | Blogging »

May 07, 2013

Wunderbar

The cecropia may startle you with its color and size.
- "Fun With Nature"

Somehow we suspected this was a big mistake.

Posted by Cassandra at May 7, 2013 01:08 PM

Comments

A better understanding of the client's history will permit the lawyer to explore unexpected information (the ability of a child to manage money, the source of assets that have since appreciated in value, the significance of family heirlooms, or even the relationship of client and family).
-"Elder Law Answer Book"

Definitely a mistake!

Posted by: Sandi at May 7, 2013 01:26 PM

"The Following records are excluded from the provisions of this chapter but may be disclosed by the custodian in his discretion, except where such disclosure is prohibited by law:"
-Fun with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act

Yippee.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 7, 2013 01:28 PM

I was definitely thankful that none of the technical papers on my desk were over 35 pages long!

The next closest book was my daughter in law's doctoral thesis (my desk is next to a wall of bookcases in my home office).

Posted by: Cassandra at May 7, 2013 01:31 PM

We are an exciting bunch, mr rdr :p

Posted by: The fun never starts... at May 7, 2013 01:32 PM

"This traitor, he doth ruin my realm, and brings me woe and strife!"

(From "The Death of Saint Thomas A Becket," by an anonymous Middle English poet.)

That sounds rather ominous, really.

Posted by: Grim at May 7, 2013 01:39 PM

On the other hand, the next closest book was the New American Bible, which has this:

"So he gave them to her and had intercourse with her, and she conceived by him."
Genesis 38:18

So especially devout readers may do well this year!

Posted by: Grim at May 7, 2013 01:44 PM

I'm soooo glad the VES doesn't have a book hanging around the table right now.....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at May 7, 2013 01:46 PM

Hey, at least it was only "Fun With Nature" (which could be yours for the bargain price of $16.95 when you take your grandpunks to a Maryland State Park near you), and not "Where the Wild Things Are" :p

Posted by: Cassandra at May 7, 2013 02:07 PM

So especially devout readers may do well this year!

Obviously we are not paying nearly enough attention to our spiritual life around here...

Posted by: Cassandra at May 7, 2013 02:09 PM

In cases where the proportion of indeterminates is very high (e.g., where a large portion of inactive accounts is present), analyses should be done to address root causes of inactivity—e.g. presence of other cards with higher limits or lower interest rates, presence of other cards with better loyalty programs, or inactivity with all other cards as well.

- Credit Risk Scorecards Developing and Implementing Intelligent Credit Scoring

Nerds do it with knowledge.
Just not of your nether regions.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 7, 2013 02:58 PM

There is sure to be an energetic pursuit. You must try not to lose your courage, and to hope for the best."
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan (2012-05-16). The Tragedy of the Korosko (p. 45) Kindle Edition.

Posted by: George Pal at May 7, 2013 02:59 PM

Dr. Sheldon Cooper, call your office.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 7, 2013 02:59 PM

"After a few minutes, the attacker left."
--The Cuckoo's Egg

That sounds...ominous.

Posted by: Tom Hunt at May 7, 2013 04:13 PM

Yikes! I am beginning to feel a *lot* better about being startled by giant moths :p

Posted by: Cassandra at May 7, 2013 05:31 PM

"I like that"
The Warlock: The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flannel

Gonna be a _good_ year.

Posted by: Brian Dunbar at May 7, 2013 08:30 PM

"The four areas that most frequently give rise to litigation between Lessors and Lessees (or get tested on exams) under the implied covenants are: (1) drainage; (2) reasonable development and further exploration; (3) marketing; and (4) proper operation."

Posted by: Texan99 at May 8, 2013 09:24 AM

A distinct lack of *books* around the laptop area left me a little put out wrt this post, however, having determined that this is the last thing that needs to be happening when it comes to this post, I finally spied a random book from which to pluck said necessary phrase at the VES' track meet yesterday:
"I think that's a pretty fair assumption of when she freaked out." - I Love Everybody (And Other Atrocious Lies): True Tales of a Loudmouth Girl, Laura Nataro
The VES, having been charged with remembering the book title, decided to play, too:
"I don't think this is a very good idea." Burned, P.C. and Kristin Cast.

I agree completely with hers.
Mine.....?!?