« Military "Rape" Estimates: The Truth Behind the Numbers | Main | More Anedotal Reporting on Military Rape »

May 13, 2013

"College Is A Lot Like.... School"

Posted by Cassandra at May 13, 2013 05:48 AM

Comments

Unless public high school has changed a lot since I was there, college is nothing like school. :)

Posted by: Grim at May 13, 2013 09:45 AM

A conversation between former teacher of mine and my dad on the difference between high school and college:

FT: If it were fun, you'd be paying *them*.
Dad: But, I paid to go to college.
FT: You're saying you didn't have fun at college?
Dad: Uh, Um... I plead the Fifth.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 13, 2013 11:19 AM

I'm currently in this Catch 22:
The VES is an outstanding student with true ability in fields that pay good money after college. The last place I want her to go, and pay to do so, is yet another indoctrination center pretending to be an institute of education. (*higher* being a subjective term wrt said institutes.)
But, with the constant drumbeat to go to college they browbeat kids with Every Single Day, it's difficult propaganda to negate.
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at May 13, 2013 12:19 PM

That somewhat depends on the field. Not a whole lot of politics in math and physics.

History/PoliSci on the other hand...

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at May 13, 2013 12:54 PM

"FT: If it were fun, you'd be paying *them*."

For lots of kids, it must appear like winning a free cruise: someone else pays the cruise ship company, and you have the expensive fun. Imagine the outrage when they get the bill in the form of student loans they can't pay! Thus begins the search for somebody else to pay for the free cruise for real this time: maybe the big evil banks, maybe rich taxpayers.

Posted by: Texan99 at May 14, 2013 02:35 PM

PS, It's days later, but I'm still laughing at this one:

"I thought you needed a college degree in bartending?"

"I think that's called an English Lit degree."

Posted by: Texan99, B.A. (Fine Arts) at May 16, 2013 09:44 AM