« A Diet of Mental Junk Food | Main | Do the Carney Two-Step! »

June 21, 2013

Friday Time Wasting Quiz

What if you had to re-qualify periodically in order to retain your American citizenship? Would you make the cut?

The Editorial Staff got a 53. Apparently we do not do enough civic-minded work in the community.

Posted by Cassandra at June 21, 2013 07:12 AM

Comments

Appearently I don't care about the health of my community.

That and I didn't know which SC Justice looked like a question mark. Maybe I just have an old browser, but it would have been nice if there had been a question (judging from the answer) "Who is the Chief Justice?"

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 21, 2013 02:49 PM

I confess that I answered all the other justices first and left Kennedy and Breyer for last. My pick was pretty much a crap shoot - I went with my guy and the guy with the skinniest face :p

Posted by: Cassandra at June 21, 2013 03:03 PM

As expected I messed up with the three least known faces of the male Supremes -- although, as is typical of me, I had them right, then switched them right before *turning in the test.*
Aaarrrrggghhh!!

YAG, there was a question asking who the Chief Justice is underneath the question mark. Perhaps your browser is the problem on that.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 21, 2013 03:07 PM

Damn corporate IT. We're still on WinXP & IE7.

We've been told that we can choose to upgrade to Win7 now, but if our software is incompatible, don't come whining to them.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 21, 2013 04:00 PM

63.

Posted by: Grim at June 21, 2013 04:05 PM

Oh, and it took me a little while to recognize Roberts without the fruit salad on his head.

BTW, has anyone heard from KJ or did he just change names and I didn't notice*?

*'cause I don't know anyone who's ever swapped out masks. Nosiree, Bob. Not a soul.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 21, 2013 04:18 PM

If your Win7 upgrade is to Pro, it has a function within the program that will run XP programs. It's the only reason I broke down and finally installed 7 on my systems here.

And, fwiw, I had to mentally take off the "fruit hat", too, before being possitive that was Justice Roberts.
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 21, 2013 04:55 PM

I got a 56 and should have gotten a 57 because I forgot to answer about the Articles of Confederation.

And Grim is a veteran, so he got more points because of that. {:^)>

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 21, 2013 06:02 PM

59. I scrambled 2 of the Justices and forgot the question about Chief Justice.

Posted by: Elise at June 21, 2013 06:43 PM

Elise, you got 59?

You sure vote a lot! {:^)>

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 21, 2013 06:59 PM

Speaking of which, why is that question on the test? If you are not a citizen and you have voted, shouldn't that be an automatic disqualification?

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 21, 2013 07:51 PM

I think that must have been the other thing I got dinged for. I was in a mad rush when I took the quiz, so when they asked me how many times I'd voted in the past 10 years, I just said "2x" and moved on.

Didn't stop to actually do the reckoning (2012, 2008, 2004). Duh :)

Not sure how they scored the questions, but I didn't miss any of the factual questions.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 21, 2013 08:54 PM

Couple of the landmarks were invisible to my browser.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at June 21, 2013 09:47 PM

Posted by: Texan99 at June 21, 2013 11:36 PM

"65"

Time in the commune doesn't count as *community service*, Tex. No matter how many got *serviced*.
*snnnicker*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 22, 2013 03:01 PM

You're mixing this up with one of those quizzes we used to take in junior high school about our sexual sophistication! :-)

I think I got a lot of my points by voting in every single election: local elections, primaries, runoffs, off-year constitutional amendments (we have a lot of those), and of course national elections every other year. I guessed that in 10 years that probably was 15 elections, because I know I'm down there running an election at least once a year, and often two or three times. The question wasn't limited to presidential or even national elections. We elect everybody down here, including judges from the JP right up to the state supreme court, and not much gets done without a constitutional amendment submitted to a plebiscite.

I couldn't remember ever formally petitioning my government for redress of grievances, though I may be forgetting signing some ineffectual online petition or another. I also didn't give myself any credit for participation in local government, though I did serve on a state senate subcommittee once, if that counts. Or maybe being an election judge counts? Probably not. But civic associations and charities? Absolutely.

I made the rookie error of forgetting that "We the People" is the beginning to the preamble to the Constitution, not the Declaration of Independence, which as I know perfectly well begins "When in the course of human events . . . ." But hey! That was only one point, and I got all the other questions right! Neither Breyer nor Kennedy looked familiar to me, but I guessed correctly.

Posted by: Texan99 at June 22, 2013 03:57 PM

But then, Papa Legba is both a history buff and an inveterate agitator with a long history of baiting the left :-)

Posted by: Azrael Eshu at June 22, 2013 08:45 PM

The question wasn't limited to presidential or even national elections.

Funny - I totally read it that way (and even then, I shorted myself by one election!). I guess that'll teach me to do things in a hurry!

Posted by: Cassandra at June 23, 2013 09:29 AM

Yeah, I just divided the period by two and said "five." But if you count primaries, I'd have voted in double that many; and special elections, I didn't bother to try to remember how many of those I voted in.

Posted by: Grim at June 23, 2013 12:04 PM

"Apparently we do not do enough civic-minded work in the community." You, as is true of everyone else here, are responsible, productive, and meet your obligations and responsibilities. As well, your husband serves in the military with your support. How much more civic-minded can one be ?

Posted by: Edward Lunny at June 23, 2013 12:04 PM

I got a 50. I think I forgot to count the off-year elections (so that would have been 2006/2010, primaries & run-offs), so I should have added 4 more to the vote total... I got the Gettysburg Address and Declaration of Independence quotes reversed. The fiance wants to give the quiz a try :-P

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at June 23, 2013 11:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Edward :)

I regret not volunteering more. When I was a SAHM, I did quite a bit of volunteer work but having a full time job has taken a huge bite out of my free time... or at least that's my current excuse. I know people who work just as many hours who manage to fit volunteering in anyway. Maybe I just need to be better organized.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 25, 2013 09:11 AM

I got a 72, with all answers correct. But I object to the points associated with elections. It's not *my* fault we're efficient and manage to get everything done within context of the federal election cycle and aren't continually hauling the electorate out of their offices and bars to vote for the dog catcher.

And I think they perhaps over-award for military service.

And I should have been able to score points for every organization or charity I've been on the board of (even ones that are kinda behind in meetings), President of, and heck, since I'm gonna be a District Governor for Rotary... two points for that....

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at July 1, 2013 02:44 PM