« Taxi Rapes | Main | Coffee Snorters: High Five Edition »

July 19, 2013

Speaking Truth to Entrenched Power

A former gang member on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson: "I see right through you":

This is the kind of leadership America needs. We have a feeling the Reverend Martin Luther King would approve:

"Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We've got to face that. And we've got to do something about our moral standards," King once told a black congregation. "We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can't keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves."

Intra-racial crime is not unique to blacks - far more whites are killed by other whites than by people of other races. This only makes the deliberate cultivation of racial fear and hatred more evil and perverse.

Thank God there are still courageous and honest men and women capable of facing the truth about the darkness that lies within people of all races.

Posted by Cassandra at July 19, 2013 07:38 AM

Comments

Chicago, 2009
Population (approx) 33% black, 31% Caucasian, 28% Hispanic
Murder and non-negligent Manslaughter arrests-
Male: Black 260, Caucasian 10, Hispanic 75, Asian 0, NatAm 0, Unkn 0, Total 345

"... although African Americans represent only 12% of the population of the United States, they account for 35% of the abortions performed in this country." – National Black Catholic Congress

"...no one disputes that 70 percent of black babies are born out of wedlock--or maybe they do, I never have." - Ta-Nehisi Coates

Does Obama care? The Black Congressional Caucus? Julian Bond? The NAACP? No. They care that Trayvon was killed by a white Hispanic - no justice, no peace. An amalmagation of the collectives of white racists, skinheads, neo-nazis, KKK, and white brotherhoods, could not imagine killing as many blacks as blacks have actually, and routinely killed. Drive by weekend shootings in Chicago are now tallied and reported on Drudge.

For those who would fall over themselves to get to the slavery trope I would note that in the course of three generation, the Holocaust could not do to Jews, and stay a modern state – Israel, what the trauma of slavery is contended to have done to blacks, and promote a modern Detroit. There's an obvious point here but it would be racist to point to it so I'll allude to it – actin' white isn't as demeaning as it's made out to be – and it saves black lives.

The greatest civilizing influence for the black community at this point would be to first rid itself of it's greatest pathogens – Jesse, Al, Julian, and the NAACP.

*It may be mentioned at this point, with attention to the previous post, that the eight hundred years of Muslim consternation over the Crusades – in which they were prima facie culprits and in which they ultimately prevailed – is pretense. It doesn't meet the standard for having even a semblance of a legitimate complaint but fulfills all the requirements of victimology. If they are victims they are victims of Islam; if they cannot see it it's because they are blinded by Islam; if they won't countenance the observation of it it's because of the violence demanded by Islam – but that's another story.

Posted by: George Pal at July 19, 2013 10:22 AM

...actin' white isn't as demeaning as it's made out to be...

This leapt out at me. Acting morally/responsibly isn't "acting white", but I have encountered that mind set too many times to dismiss it as a real problem.

Years ago when I started tutoring College Algebra and other math courses, a very large proportion of my students were black women. The older ones were such a joy - fantastic work ethic, and their biggest problem was believing they could succeed.

But the younger ones (of all races) were another story. One young lady in particular has always stayed with me.

She simply wasn't putting forth the effort she needed to, to overcome her lack of preparation and pass the course. And she resisted any suggestion that she put in more time.

Finally I had to level with her: she was going to fail unless she worked more problems every night and there was nothing I or anyone else could do. And she told me that working hard was "acting white" - she wasn't going to "do what They want me to do".

That was one of the clearest examples I've seen of the cultural legacy of slavery and segregation. If you're at the bottom of the food chain, your only power is the power of resistance: drag your feet, don't volunteer to do anything, etc, ad nauseum. Resisting becomes a way of life, I guess.

I tried reasoning with her. "You're paying for this. Don't you owe it to yourself to do what's needed to succeed? *You're* the one who will benefit if you do well." It was heartbreaking - she was stuck in adolescent resistance, but she was in her mid-20s. Smart young woman.

I've always wished I had been able to find the right words to convince her that other people have had to work extra hard to get ahead, too. She had it in her head that anyone who wasn't black had everything handed to them on a silver platter, yet there were single mothers, Asian immigrants who struggled to understand English (and to pay their tuition, and juggle working multiple jobs).

But she felt no one could possibly understand how hard she had it.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cass at July 19, 2013 02:16 PM

I saw the same thing during my student teaching practicum. Doing homework, completing assignments, learning, etc. was "acting white".

One of the LG's coworkers had a son who was beaten by a group of 4-5 other kids for that particular sin.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 19, 2013 02:43 PM

Peer pressure (I realize getting beaten up isn't the most intuitive example, but I think it actually applies) was one of the hardest things to deal with when my boys were teens.

It's a problem for all parents, but I think it has to be worse for parents living in poor neighborhoods or parents living in areas with gangs. That's why we chose never to accept a tour in Hawaii or Pendleton. I didn't want to deal with that particular problem.

Even in this area, I put my kids into private school to keep them away from some of the stuff I saw going on. We were lucky to be able to afford that - not all parents can. That's one reason I'm so big on charter schools (and so furious that the Democrats want to limit the choices of low income parents in DC who want their kids in schools that support their values and encourage kids to work hard and succeed).

Raising children is hard enough as it is.

Posted by: Cass at July 19, 2013 02:56 PM

It makes me grateful for having gone through public school as early as I did (I graduated from high school in 1974). Being a good student didn't do wonders for my social life -- it was fairly uncool -- but there wasn't the slightest hint of danger that I could be beaten up for it. Or beaten up for anything. I never even heard of anyone getting beat up in any of my schools, not for any reason. I can't think of a single student of whom anyone at all was afraid. Drug use was rampant, of course, but perfectly civilized. The school administration would have gone completely nuclear if anyone had gotten violent on campus.

And I was incredibly naive. I thought that people who warned me about dangerous neighborhoods were making it all up. When I think about how complacent I was about the safe place my parents chose to bring me up in, I shudder. Oh, the suburbs! So boring!

Posted by: Texan99 at July 19, 2013 03:41 PM

There was a lot of fighting in my junior high and high schools, and most of it was interracial.

I had never seen anything like that before.

We lived in an affluent-to-middle class suburb in Montgomery Co, MD and they bussed in black students from Rockville and poor white students from the surrounding rural areas. And there was a lot of conflict - mostly between blacks and whites, but also between affluent whites and "hicks" (working class white kids).

I had grown up watching Room 222, and was utterly unprepared for the open aggression some of these kids displayed. On the other hand, there was the guy I mentioned dating on that long-ago post about race.

His parents were both professionals with graduate degrees who lived in a far nicer neighborhood than ours. So he was from a higher socio-economic caste than my solidly middle-class background.

He is actually a good example of what Yu-Ain mentions. He got excellent grades, hung around with the jocks and cheerleaders, and planned to be a dentist when he grew up. He didn't fit with the kids who got bussed in: they didn't share any of the same classes.

And there weren't many girls for him to date - one of my friends dated him earlier in the year and they broke up when her Dad found out his daughter's boyfriend was black and freaked out. I remember being very shocked at that. And this was back in 1974 or 75.

Posted by: Cass at July 19, 2013 04:19 PM

"Raising children is hard enough as it is.

Doing it in an environment where you have to fight your surroundings every step of the way effectively puts a target on your child's back. It makes the normal conflicts of the teen years 10 times harder."

You said a mouthful, Sista! Two of the five schools the VES had been enrolled in prior to MH's retirement found her having to deal with bullying, sexual harrassment (of the real kind) and death threats -- and this was just elementary and middle school.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 19, 2013 04:44 PM

It's funny, the stuff kids take in stride.

In my Junior high, girls were routinely groped walking in the hallways. You just shrugged it off or slapped someone's hand.

Don't even get me started with being the only girl in Shop class! I learned early not to go into the band saw room alone. These days, that would probably cause people to hyperventilate. I just thought it was irritating and dumb.

The scariest thing I ever saw was in jr. high - after school a group of girls just started beating on a lone girl. I was all the way on the other side of the school (I had come out of a side door) and by the time I got there, the gym teachers had broken it up.

Real Mean Streets of Suburbia stuff :p

It scares me that this stuff is moving into elementary school. You expect the odd fight, but not some of the craziness we're seeing these days.

Posted by: Cass at July 19, 2013 06:03 PM

This is kinda weird for me. Full disclosure, I graduated HS in Seattle in 1976 . . . and while there were some issues during the start of the mandatory bussing period, race relations have always been more low key in the (true, Pacific) Northwest.

Best Regards,