« IRS Union Employees Fight To Keep Their Current Plan | Main | Racism, Conversations, and the Sound of One Hand Clapping »

July 27, 2013

We Question the Timing

But... but... TRANSPARENCY!!!!

Amid the Obama administration's crackdown against whistleblowers, Change.gov, the 2008 website of the Obama transition team laying out the candidate's promises, has disappeared from the internet.

The Sunlight Foundation notes that it last could be viewed on June 8, which was two days after the first revelations from Edward Snowden (who had then not yet revealed himself) about the NSA's phone surveillance program. One of the promises Obama made on the website was on "whistleblower protections:"

Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

The White House did not respond to multiple requests for comment on why the page was deleted.

That screeching sound you hear is the sound of the President doing another 180. If only there were a profession whose mission it was to afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted.

Posted by Cassandra at July 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Comments

And re the previous post.

The man whose entire personal history is a lie, including his Christianity, marriage, education, intelligence, and composite girlfriend Lexan, has lied again. Gasp!

Afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted, even to the un-apprenticed, is as natural as sex; make of it a profession and you make of it something as tawdry as prostitution.

Posted by: George Pal at July 27, 2013 12:20 PM

Well, what with all the scandals afflicting him he would be the one needing some comfort right about now.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 27, 2013 08:39 PM

God Damn Liars. Miserable worthless pissants.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at July 27, 2013 11:30 PM

Yanno, CAPT, you really do need to be a bit more elaborate in your commentary as I'm not quite clear as to what you really mean to say.
Seriously, man.
*snicker*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 28, 2013 01:22 PM

So, is this sailor coming out from behind the Captain? Good to see.

Posted by: Grim at July 28, 2013 03:46 PM

OK guys, I freely admit that was a little too 'forthcoming.' Coulda been the late hour, coulda been one too many adult beverages, coulda been that issues of obvious hypocrisy really set me off.

In any case, I and I alone are responsible for my actions. I apologize if I offended.

Best Regards,

PS: btw Grim, there's a sailor inside any Captain worth his salt.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at July 28, 2013 11:12 PM

Aw hell, CAPT., I'm just pullin' yer chain. Once you've hung out around here long enough, you'll come to know that it takes a lot more than that to offend.
It's all good.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 29, 2013 12:26 PM

Far be it from me to criticize a man for posting something after having had an extra beer or two. I certainly won't claim to be innocent of it myself.

Posted by: Grim at July 29, 2013 02:15 PM

Drinking and typing: my husband often warns against it.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 29, 2013 07:41 PM

PS, but I hasten to add, it would take WAY more than that to offend me, Cap'n. I'm sputtering in rage myself these days.

Posted by: Texan99 at July 29, 2013 07:42 PM