« Bad Panda Sex | Main | Lydia Estelle Bravo: a 9/11 Tribute »

September 11, 2013

September 11th

Listening to the President's Syria speech last night, I found myself thinking of the lyrics to a old country song. It glorifies the stale, outdated gender norms and unexamined convictions the more tolerant and enlightened among us have been taught to sneer at: courage, conviction, resolve. Faith:

Now daddy didn't like trouble, but if it came along
Everyone that knew him knew which side that he'd be on
He never was a hero, or this county's shinin' light
But you could always find him standin' up for what he thought was right

He'd say you've got to stand for somethin' or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now we might have been better off or owned a bigger house
If daddy had done more givin' in or a little more backin' down
But we always had plenty just living his advice
Whatever you do today, you'll have to sleep with tonight

He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for somethin' or you'll fall for anything

I know that things are different than they were in daddy's days
But I still believe what makes a man really hasn't changed

The dream we call America is more than the sum of her present leaders. Our power and our greatness do not trickle down to us from Capitol Hill: they rise from small towns and rural landscapes and sprawling cities whose glistening skyscrapers rise up to kiss the bottoms of the clouds.

They sprout from the soil we till, and the children we bear; from the dreams we cherish and the sacrifices we gladly offer on the altar of a future we hope for, but cannot guarantee.

Whatever else you remember on this day, remember this: we are who we choose to be. In that thought lies the glory of bygone days and the promise of a better tomorrow.

Posted by Cassandra at September 11, 2013 05:15 AM

Comments

"... we are who we choose to be."

Something I have been trying to teach the VES as she enters high school and all it's attendant drama/peer pressure/cliches yada yada yada. Tis a difficult enough lesson to learn as an adult, much less as a teen in today's uber-petty, hyper-digitized, over-sexualized world.

Very nice, uplifting post that is so very needed today.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 11, 2013 01:07 PM

Cassandra

If possible, could you please put up your essay about Lydia Estelle Bravo today?

Some may have never read it, and it is one of the best (of many good things)essays that you have ever written.

She, who was who she was, and is never more.

Lest we forget....

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 11, 2013 02:02 PM

Don, I'd be honored to.

There were two old 9/11 posts I wanted to put up today, but I worry about being tiresome (yeah, most of the time I'm that way, anyway but might as well minimize the number of times that happens :p)

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2013 02:16 PM

Jeez, Don. You made me cry. I had to close my office door :)

This is a day for tears, and all I seem to have left is anger.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2013 02:25 PM

"...and all I seem to have left is anger."

You and me, both.

I know that "nation building" in Afganistan was a practical necessity. I get that Nation Building in Iraq was a more visionary method for the dominoes of the middle east to knock themselves down rather than all but declaring war on 20% of the world's population.

And, in Theory, it was a great idea.

But after seeing all these dominoes fall and the way we've absolutely fucked up the management of that, I can't help but think a scorched earth middle east policy would have been better.

If the ME being in flames with power vacuums being filled between horrible and worse was going to happen either way, at least we'd have sent the message that we can stomp anyone who pisses us off into the ground anytime we feel like it.

Make helping any terrorist cell so devestating, that no-one would chance doing it.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at September 11, 2013 05:07 PM

I still have a little more hope than you, my friend, though I've often had similar thoughts.

I truly believe we won't know what will come of these years until the next generation (and possibly even beyond). Civilization, much like teenaged boys, is a slow crop :p

I'm very angry about how we managed to seize defeat from the jaws of victory, but I'm still hopeful that we haven't seen the final act - and that it may yet have a happy ending.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2013 05:48 PM

Observations:
- brilliant Cass, thank you.
- I 'grew up' in the sub force. Based on my background I find these Islamist terrorists to be ratshit cowards. I know the solution, but it is not nice. When people grow sufficiently tired of this crap, call us.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at September 12, 2013 02:37 AM