« Chill Wind Alert | Main | IRS Flagged Groups Using "Anti-Obama Rhetoric" »

October 24, 2013

OK, We Totally Did Not See That One Coming....

Seriously, Tex?

Utah_Srsly.png

On the otter heiny, this was a no brainer (so to speak):

Perceiver mode results when the bottom-brain system is highly utilized in optional ways but the top is not. Think of the Dalai Lama or Emily Dickinson. People who habitually rely on Perceiver mode try to make sense in depth of what they perceive; they interpret their experiences, place them in context and try to understand the implications.

But they don't make and execute grand plans. By definition, such people—including naturalists, pastors, novelists—typically lead lives away from the limelight. Those who rely on this mode often play a crucial role in a group; they can make sense of events and provide a bigger picture. In business, they are key members of teams, providing perspective and wisdom but not always getting credit.

This seems to be our day for quizzes. We took a management style one earlier today and came up "Flexible Adaptor".

Positively Kama-Sutraesque, we are. If you knew anything about our day job, you'd know why we found this so amusing.

Posted by Cassandra at October 24, 2013 07:46 PM

Comments

Colorado, though it's not apparent why.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at October 24, 2013 10:24 PM

"...they can make sense of events and provide a bigger picture."

Soooo, you're the one walking behind Ceasar saying, "Thou art mortal."

You Have:
Tendency To Rely on Top/Tendency To Rely on Bottom

Which Means:
You think in situational Mover Mode: You tend to make and act on plans, register consequences, and adjust plans accordingly, but are particularly context dependent.

Mover mode results when the top- and bottom-brain systems are both highly utilized in optional ways. Oprah Winfrey, who overcame a difficult childhood to create a formidable TV and publishing empire, illustrates such behavior. According to the theory, people who habitually rely on Mover mode are most comfortable in positions that allow them to plan, act and see the consequences of their actions. They are well suited to being leaders.

Damn, I really wanted to be a Shaker...especially a *Situational* Shaker.
Or, at least, Ceasar.
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 25, 2013 01:51 AM

"You think in situational Perceiver Mode: you tend to interpret what is experienced, put it in context, and understand the implications, but you are particularly context dependent."

Whatever that means. I'm definitely more inclined to play things by ear than my husband is. It drives him crazy if I consider buying a piece of furniture or a plant without working out in detail first where I'm going to put it. I'm inclined to buy it if I love it and then take it home and think about what to do with it.

Posted by: Texan99 at October 25, 2013 12:53 PM

BTW, on occasion I've taken a *lot* of heat for speaking up . . .

Posted by: CAPT Mike at October 25, 2013 09:36 PM

I'm the same way. I have not bought furniture b/c I didn't have a place for it currently, but am more likely (probably because most furniture I buy is old or antique) to fall in love with something and re-arrange to find a place for something. But I also rarely buy big pieces. One of the best lessons I learned from a lifetime of frequent military moves was only to buy piece that are small and versatile so they will work in different rooms.

I bought a lovely walnut china cabinet years ago that has been a bookcase or a china cabinet, depending on the size of our dining room. I have an old oak Larkin desk that is now a bookcase and has also been used in the kitchen to store cookbooks and display china (hmmm.... I'm sensing a theme here :p) - I took the desk parts out of the middle to make the 'display' part after my 2nd or 3rd attempt to refinish/fix it resulted in the cubbyhole part of the desk coming unglued.

Posted by: Cass at October 26, 2013 07:59 AM

Georgia. As a Florida native I find this passing strange.

Posted by: CAPT Mongo at October 26, 2013 10:03 AM

You can get to Texas if you answer all 1's. All 7's = Wisconsin?

Posted by: MathMom at October 29, 2013 02:52 PM

What if, basically, I'm on my way to Australia?
0>;~}