« Hard Wiring? | Main | "The Only Part of Government That Actually Listens" »

November 04, 2013

ACA Warnings "Dire, Specific, and... Ignored"

Say it isn't so!

Three years ago, a trusted Obama health care adviser warned the White House it was losing control of Obamacare. A memo obtained by CBS News said strong leadership was missing and the law's successful implementation was in jeopardy. The warnings were specific and dire -- and ignored.

We're sure the White House just misspoke when they said the President didn't know there were problems until he read about it in the news.

Posted by Cassandra at November 4, 2013 08:30 AM

Comments

HotAir's compilation:

1. Dan Amira of New York Mag:

“overly simplistic guarantee”

2. Rep. Steny Hoyer, Minority Leader, House of Representatives:

“accurate…not precise enough.”

3. Carrie Budoff Brown of Politico:

“sweeping generalizations that can be contradicted by individual experiences”

“soundbites”

“pithy promises”

4. James Carville on “The O’Reilly Factor”:

“I think what he could have made is a more nuanced, accurate statement.”

5. Josh Barro, Business Insider:

“never a reasonable promise…yes, that statement is proving false — and it’s a good thing.”

6. Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary

“You can make that point if you want.”

Also, argle, bargle, blerg.

7. Sen. Harry Reid, U.S. Senate, along with Carney, just eschewing euphemism for more lies:

“He didn’t say anything wrong. That was true.”

8. Chuck Todd, MSNBC:

“promises that they were hoping the insurance companies were going to keep.”

Update: And, a lovely euphemism for the victims of this broken promise, from the American Prospect, which goes all out in the headline by calling them “phony victims.”

Posted by: Texan99 at November 4, 2013 12:26 PM

Strong leadership was lacking? Don't they understand he was leading from behind?

Posted by: Grim at November 4, 2013 12:57 PM

Tommy Christopher: The only reason people "like" pre-ACA plans is they know shit about them.

But it turns out the real problem is that Obamacare isn't there to make insurance affordable for you. You're just a freeloader.

It’s entirely possible that now-healthy Dianne is “happy” with this plan, but the whole idea behind the Affordable Care Act is that the rest of us are not happy having to pick up the tab if Dianne gets a disease, has an accident, or otherwise needs to go to the hospital.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 4, 2013 05:09 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how hard these folks are working to shift the risks of various endeavors from being centered around families and small communities (where we have at least some influence and can exert at least some control) to total strangers (over whom we have zero influence and over whose decisions we have zero control).

I keep wanting to see a freedom of association issue here. I can limit all sorts of risks by choosing the people I associate with carefully. But apparently this is Evil, and I am supposed to care about (and for!) people I would never voluntarily have anything to do with as much as I do my husband, my children, and my parents.

Insane, when you stop to think about it.

Posted by: Cass at November 4, 2013 05:41 PM

Howdy Cass,
FYI, for most of our country's early history, 'mutual aid' associations, and folks literally chose with whom they would share risks. The rise of gov't led aid, and later the explosive growth of charities caused by the imposition (and later rapid increase in rates) of the tax on income.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 4, 2013 06:51 PM

It really irritates me to hear that my chosen insurance was leaving my neighbors likely to have to pick up the tab for my medical expenses, and that I'm just the sort of citizen the law was written to correct. The whole country had to be turned upside-down because I'm so darned irresponsible and dangerous.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 4, 2013 11:44 PM

I wonder if zero influence and control is a very restful idea for some people. If my family, my associations, my small communities have to figure out stuff like what insurance we need or how much to give to charity (and which charity), that can be a source of work, anxiety, what if I make the wrong decision. If it's out of our hands then, well, it's out of our hands, someone else is worrying about all that, we don't really have any choice, it's not our fault or our responsibility.

I keep wanting to see a freedom of association issue here.

Sort of tangentially, I wonder about age discrimination. The ACA explicitly forces young people to pay "too much" for insurance so older people can pay "too little". That seems like age discrimination somehow.

I know that's the Left's stated view but I'm struggling to reconcile that with the woman in the WSJ with gallbladder cancer. Why is it wrong to not give health insurance to some stranger on the street who doesn't have it, but okay to take away health insurance from some other stranger on the street who does? It doesn't add up.

Posted by: Elise at November 5, 2013 01:48 PM

Don't feel bad, Tex. Wait until you see the plan they write to fix me.

Posted by: Grim at November 5, 2013 04:10 PM

Oh Grim, don't worry. There is no fix for you.
And that's not a bad thing.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 5, 2013 09:47 PM

There is no fix for you.

You're right, of course.

Whether or not that's a bad thing may depend on where you sit. But thank you for the kind words.

Posted by: Grim at November 6, 2013 11:57 AM