« Entitlements, Savings, Spending, and Prosperity | Main | Heart of a Lion »

November 06, 2013

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

A loser under ObamaCare asks the President and Congress to put their money where their mouths are:

Sundby also said President Obama and every member of Congress should voluntarily put themselves and all their family members and staffers into the health care exchanges instead of remaining on their government-funded 'Cadillac plans.'

'There's something we could do right now,' she said, 'and that's for the American people to insist that government officials sign up for their own insurance on the exchanges.'

'That's the right thing to do. They legislated it. The American people have to use it. That's the best way to fix the health care system. Make everyone in charge understand just what a big mess this is.'

'I think the executive branch – president Obama actually – Do you know what would warm our hearts, really? It would be for President Obama to get up and say. "I have just put all my staff, and I just put my family, my precious family, on the health care exchanges. I believe so strongly that it will work and that it's working now, that we're going to get in the boat with you."'

She said Obama should issue an executive order 'requiring that my cabinet and other parts of the federal government's executive branch sign up for our health insurance on the exchanges.'

'Congress should do it on their own too,' she said.

Asked if putting government in charge of health care was a recipe for disaster, Sundby gave an enthusiastic 'Yes!'

'Government is potentially making life-or-death decisions for me? My God – they can't even run the DMV.'

You go, girl.

Posted by Cassandra at November 6, 2013 07:16 AM

Comments

The President could solve Sundby's problem (and mine, and that of Raven, Elise, etc.) today by instructing Sec'y Sebelius to rewrite the HHS regulations so that all plans dating from before March 2010 were grandfathered no matter what.

It's not a permanent fix, but it would help a lot for the next five years or so, until the lack of new policy applicants gradually destroyed the old policies by attrition.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 6, 2013 02:51 PM

Yep, and I think this is a winning theme for conservatives. For once, the Dems are in the position of the big meany who doesn't care about the sick person.

Sucks to be them right now - I hope we drive this message relentlessly home.

Posted by: Cass at November 6, 2013 02:54 PM

Which brings up an interesting conundrum on "representative" government.

Why the helk does one unelected bureaucrat get to basically, write and pass a law effecting not less than 15mm people all by her lonesome?

Because then a politician doesn't have to answer for their vote come election time.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 6, 2013 04:03 PM

While they're at it, how about getting rid of the DMV, too? Can't hurt.

Posted by: Special Agent Redacted at November 6, 2013 07:26 PM

Another instructive story from the People's Republic of California, from a cradle-to-death Democratic couple who are puzzled how this can be happening to them, and have written a polite, quizzical letter to Nancy Pelosi asking her to look into it. The author admits that he's been ignoring all the other stories, which are probably lies, but this is a couple whose veracity he can't question for a change.

The comments are less than sympathetic. The line "Your mother $*%& @)%*# in %&$" from the Exorcist comes to mind.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 7, 2013 10:16 AM

“We’re not changing our views because of this situation,"

Which is the reason for my pessimism. Despite all the uproar and outrage, no one is changing their mind. What is this couple's solution: Drop their income and apply for subsidies.

We'll buy our way out of the solution with other people's money.

Joy. :-|

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 7, 2013 11:15 AM

This administration makes me homesick for the former Soviet Bloc. Whether you guys like it or not, we now have a Great Leader in Obama. The Great Leader's word is law. We essentially have a State-run media in the MSM, at least when a liberal runs the show. Some of the hero-worship and adulation I have seen with respect to Obama would have made a Soviet editor of Pravda proud.

Another thing you will have to get used to is the absence of any metaphysical Truth. The only Truth is current Party-approved Truth, which may change from moment to moment, but is always perfect and unassailable Truth while it is applicable. If the exact opposite is declared Party-approved Truth tomorrow, then that is the new absolute Truth and the former "Truth" never happened.

This is why liberals can say, with a straight face, that Obama never lied about Obamacare. If Obama says he never lied, then that is the perfect and unassailable Truth, and no amount of video footage to the contrary will change that liberal Truth.

My greatest dismay is how many American conservatives are blinded to the true nature of the liberal/progressive/socialist opposition. It reminds me of the French and British viewpoints prior to WWII. They just couldn't understand the true nature of the 3rd Reich. They thought they were dealing with people "just like them", who couls be dealt with in a reasonable and rational fashion. To be sure, there were many such Germans, but not the fanatics holding the reins of power. When you have "true Believers" of the socialist type, whether National Socialists like Hitler, or Commie Socialists like Stalin, you are dealing with religious zealots, essentially. Their blind obedience to their political ideology would make a jihadi proud.

They typically have a messianic "Great leader" who is worshipped in a religious fashion. There are the fundamental precepts of the belief system, similar to the Scriptures or Sacred Scrolls of other religions, which are infallible and may never be questioned or challenged, and the Pope/Ayatollah and/or high priests who see that orthodox dogma is maintained, and the will of the Holy Obama is carried out.

You see this type of behavior in cults like Scientology, and in extreme religions like fanatical Islam. Therefore, logic is rarely effective in arguments with such folks. Reality is also ineffective, in that they will change reality to fit their beliefs rather than accept it. Now, this twisted fanaticism is on display for everyone to see with respect to Obama and his disciples, particularly with the lies denying the lies that Obama made about Obamacare. Hopefully, at long last, my conservative friends will finally take off their rose-colored glasses when it comes to American liberals.

So, Cass, with this in mind, my response to this post is: Actions speak louder than words, but only if Great Leader Obama SAYS that actions speak louder than words. Welcome to the brave new Soviet world, Comrades!

Posted by: a former european at November 7, 2013 03:54 PM

I can only echo what AFE just wrote. At a company benefits meeting today, where our health insurance broker was speaking, one of my fellow employees, an African - American fellow, was quietly berating some others because "Obamacare is going to fix that" and anyone disagreeing with his "was a liar".

I happen to personally like the guy, but I already knew his political outlook, and was not surprised. But that is his church and belief, and NOTHING is going to argue him out of it; certainly not reality. Because if something is screwed up with his insurance, it will be because of the damn white man and the greedy insurance companies.

Es Pravda! and we are screwed. Nothing is going to fix this.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 7, 2013 05:16 PM

Remember how, in the period before the Year 2000, there was great concern about what would happen to various computer systems--including, specifically, the air traffic control system?

Jane Garvey, then head of the FAA, said she was going to spend New Years Eve on a commercial airliner, operating within the US ATC system. And she did:

...in company with the guy who was responsible for the FAA's Year 2000 efforts.

That's leadership.

Posted by: david foster at November 7, 2013 07:14 PM

Hi Cass,
Any GOP'ers that are not advertising the failure(s) of Obummercare are guilty of political malpractice.

Tex,
With respect, it was always the intent of the ACA/Obummercare to destroy the individual health insurance market on the way to single payer. Why prop up this incredibly bad law/policy by tinkering around the edges?
>>> every 'fix' proposed will cost $$$, for which Dems will demand tax increases . . . this is a grand example of how gov't is inefficient at providing most services. Under ACA we will in aggregate pay more, and get less. and the increase in gov't participation in the economy will drag down economic growth. Europeans have proved this *many* times, and even the Scandinavians have decided that they must reduce taxes & spending.

Hi YAG,
I'm disappointed by your lack of faith in our democratic institutions; I'm pretty sure that though the lib/prog/Dem base will soldier on, the obvious failure of ACA will fire up GOP base and independents will recoil from demonstrable Dem policy failure.

Hi AFE,
Sure hope that's 'tongue in cheek' sarc. Obummer is being undressed by his lies, and those lies will have electoral consequences. We have a much more robust constitutional democracy than most (all?) European nations, and we have withstood the poor policies of popular/powerful leaders before (FDR).

Welcome david, Very.Well.Said. Kinda sad current gov't weenies won't sign up for the insurance market they have forced so many into. I expect political consequences.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 8, 2013 12:27 AM

Capt Mike: Fatalism is inherent in my Slavic nature. Read Dostoyevsky. If anyone understands the common, repeated, mistakes of humanity, my people do. As a student of history, seeing 1000s of years of people making the same mistakes over and over again can add to the pessimism. It has, however, strengthened my faith in The Almighty. There is no greater example of God's love, compassion, and forgiveness, than his forebearance from wiping out our sorry asses years ago.

Back to secular matters, I hope for the best but fear for the worst. I can't easily recollect all the peoples that believed "It can never happen to us" right up until the hammer fell. The Romans, The Parthians before Mohammed, the Abbasids and Chinese before the Mongols, The US in 1859, The Russians in 1917, The Germans in 1933, The British twice, militarily in 1938, and ecomomically around 1900, just off the top of my head. I can come up with dozens of more examples, if I really sat down and thought about it

Posted by: a former european at November 8, 2013 02:14 AM

Hope for the best but plan for the worst is a pretty good way to live life.

I will say that I often think these days that history is a great provider of perspective. We get so upset over current events (and they merit getting upset about). But we've survived so many worse times.

Worry is good - it keeps us on our toes.

I guess my view is closer to Capt. Mike's, though: we feel our current troubles so keenly, but measured alongside past events, things are not so bad that there's no way out. So I don't understand the idea that we're doomed.

It may well be that we're headed for a long period of hardship, but hardship has been the rule rather than the exception for most of recorded history. Our lives are the anomaly, not some norm that could have been expected to last forever.

People are tough. And we'll deal with whatever comes.

The biggest single problem America faces right now is that, having experienced so little genuine hardship (measured in historical terms) in our lifetimes, we are unduly daunted by the prospect of the same hard times every previous generation has faced.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 8, 2013 07:10 AM

Capt Mike: I would love nothing more than to be wrong. But after two successful elections where the candidate pretty much openly campaigned on a promise to take one person's money and give it to another, I think that said something very dangerous about our society.

Democratic processes were put in place to prevent the few from abusing the many. Restrictions on power and the protection of rights were put in place to prevent the many from abusing the few.

But everywhere I look I see that increasingly some "The Few" are more equal than other "The Few".

Everyone of these stories of sticker shock and frustration have fallen into two camps. Those that hated the ACA before hate it still. Those that supported it before still approve of the concept of making someone else pick up the tab, they just don't want it to be them.

The concept has been legitimized.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 8, 2013 09:54 AM

Giving the nation an object lesson in what not to turn over to idiots in government is a valuable thing. Am I willing to pay $5K extra a year for it for the rest of my life? Maybe that's a good deal. I must say that I don't appreciate being singled out as the one who gets to foot the bill for sounding the alarm, just because I'm in that unimportant 5% that the President and his minions think can be ignored because we were dumb enough to live in the "Wild West," taking care of ourselves. If my coverage is to be destroyed, I'd like it to happen at the same time as the other 90 million policyholders who should be seeing this coming and yelling as loud as I am.

So if the President astonishes me by forbearing from completely screwing me before he screws everyone else, I'm going to breathe a sigh of relief, then get right back to fighting his stupid program and getting his supporters the heck out of office to the best of my ability.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 8, 2013 11:58 AM