« For Your Amusement | Main | None Dare Call It "Racial Profiling" »

November 26, 2013

Blogging, Thanksgiving

Guys, I'm sorry for the dearth of posts.

I'm going to be AWOL for a few days - family medical stuff again. The Dark Lord Sly asked if the Editorial Staff were planning a Thanksgiving recipe post this year. Here's an old one - there are several recipes and menu ideas in the post and comments. Will try to chime in with other recipes if you want to post yours in the comments.

If we don't manage to crank out a post or two before the holiday, we wish you all the happiest of Thanksgivings, filled with friends and family and food and football. Of all the things we have to be thankful for, your friendship and the laughter and joy you've brought to the Editorial Staff and our devoted troop of itinerant Eskimo typists are surely at the very top of the list.

Meanwhile, be careful out there, peoples.

Posted by Cassandra at November 26, 2013 01:54 PM

Comments

I'm sorry about the continuing family medical stuff, Cassandra. I hope you and your family can enjoy your Thanksgiving nonetheless.

It's just the two of us for Thanksgiving this year. My husband is making his world-famous fettucine Alfredo and I'm making my almost-as-famous wilted spinach salad. I'm happy to share the recipes but I suspect they're not really what people think of when they think Thanksgiving recipes. :+)

Take care.

Posted by: Elise at November 26, 2013 02:44 PM

I'll take that fettucine Alfredo recipe!! Turkey day or not, the VES and I love fettucine Alfredo.

This year the Dark Side is breaking from tradition, slightly, in that we -- ok I -- won't be cooking a turkey. The VES just never developed a taste for it, so this year, I'm preparing Cornish Game Hens, 1 each. After soaking in a citrus brine overnight, they'll be slathered with herbed butter, rotisseried to perfection and served with baked ham, green beans and corn from our garden, homemade cranberry sauce and candied yams, mashed potatoes with gravy and crescent rolls. Later, during the Steeler's/Raven's game, we have pecan pie for dessert.

Posted by: DL Sly at November 26, 2013 03:08 PM

Your Thanksgiving menu sounds wonderful, DL Sly.

We use an Emeril recipe. We make this for two people with the full amount of sauce but only 8 ounces of pasta - I like lots of sauce. We never use the parsley garnish. And my husband says he doesn’t always use the salt and pepper. Check the cooking time on your pasta to see whether to drop it in the boiling water before or after the shallots are cooked.

Ingredients

1 pound dried fettucine

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 shallot, minced

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Fresh parsley, for garnish, optional

Directions

Cook the fettucine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.

While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until tender. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid. Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Elise at November 26, 2013 03:44 PM

You know, if you had just said "New York is full of turkeys" no one would have blinked an eye. Everyone knows *that*.

Which is probably why they're overrun with the avian kind.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at November 26, 2013 03:48 PM

Elise, your fettucine recipe sounds wonderful!

Posted by: Cassandra at November 26, 2013 04:19 PM

Thanks, Elise.
And, thanks Elise! I'm going to make this this weekend. It will go wonderfully with ham leftovers.

YAG, birds of a feather, yanno.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 26, 2013 04:20 PM

Butter, cream, pasta, cheese - it's pretty hard to go wrong with that combo. :+)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Posted by: Elise at November 26, 2013 04:26 PM

Happy Thanksgiving my friends!

I'm travelling this holiday for the first time in over 20 years. Words cannot express my delight at GODFORSAKEN CHANGE, but I'm sure that I'll be using many symbols and special characters to greet my fellow holiday travelers as we cheerily make our way elsewhere to give thanks for our happy family, our cherished freedom, and our blessed good fortune - none of which will survive even ten minutes on northbound I-95.
Be that as it may, there will be more than enough family, food, and football to ensure that I will get my fill of all three, perhaps more of some than others, and I will be happy, as I must be, and thankful as I should be - and am.

But this better not happen again next year.

Happy Thanksgiving all you people. Be well.
And stay out of my way.

Posted by: spd rdr at November 27, 2013 01:03 PM

May the Force be with you, spd.
Or the Finger.
Either way.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 27, 2013 03:20 PM

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the recipe links. I made the squash casserole, back in the day, but misplaced the recipe and couldn't remember where I'd seen it. Now I have it bookmarked (and properly attributed.)

Posted by: Deb at November 28, 2013 02:09 AM

I hope you've all had a happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: htom at November 29, 2013 12:22 AM