« The Politics of Fear | Main | "This Is My Calling..." »

November 03, 2013

The President Clearly "Misspoke". At Least 24 Times. Using the Same Words.

...says the NY Times:

Congressional Republicans have stoked consumer fears and confusion with charges that the health care reform law is causing insurers to cancel existing policies and will force many people to pay substantially higher premiums next year for coverage they don’t want. That, they say, violates President Obama’s pledge that if you like the insurance you have, you can keep it.

Mr. Obama clearly misspoke when he said that.

Clearly. All 24 times

Err... make that 25:

“No matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise to the American people,” he told the American Medical Association in 2009. “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health-care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health-care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what.”

To misquote Oscar Wilde, misspeaking once may be regarded as a misfortune. "Misspeaking" at least 25 times over several years, using the same words each time starts to look like carelessness.

Perhaps telling the truth bores the NYT Editorial board our President. After all, he's just too talented to do what other people do.

Posted by Cassandra at November 3, 2013 12:31 PM

Comments

Obama did not misspeak. That he did not lays utterly beyond the realm of debate. Now the debate ought turn to what he intended by saying what he did say. When he knew it not merely false, not merely a lie, but an extremely far reaching coverup.

If that does not become the focus of debate, then his misspeaking will have accomplished exactly what he intended it to accomplish.

Posted by: Roy at November 3, 2013 06:31 PM

Well, he would have kept his promise, but those big meany Republicans were mad about Obamacare and so the Democrats had to hide what they were doing, or else the Republicans would stomp their feet and throw a temper tantrum.

Well, that's sorta what the WaPo said today. Poor Mr. Obama just couldn't get organized because of that temper tantrum thing. Too bad we still have a shadow of two party politics in this country, or Obama just would have gotten this thing organized.

It's truly amazing that anyone ever got anything done before. Really.

Next up, John Roberts decides that the other Party is unconstitutional because they aren't really a tax.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 3, 2013 07:28 PM

It was, and remains an outright patent lie.
All those that seek to defend or pretend reveal themselves as servants to the lie.

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 4, 2013 12:06 AM

Not to mention the fact that most voters are far too stupid and easily frightened to understand that I really do know what's best for them, and by "what's best for them" I mean letting the federal government make major financial decisions for them.

What would have happened if I had told them the truth?

If they'd had correct information about ObamaCare, they might not have made the right decision (and by that, I mean that they might not have done what I want them to do). People really need to stop whining about insignificant numbers like 93 million and just get with the program.

The American people can trust me - well, not literally, because they're too stupid and naïve to be told the truth. But they can trust that I know all and see all, and also that I am much smarter than they are. Stupid, naïve folks might be tempted to ask why, if ObamaCare is such an amazingly great deal, I had to lie about it, but such unhelpful questions do nothing to help me control the debate.

They might be tempted to ask why, if ObamaCare is such an amazingly great deal, neither Congress nor the Obama family are clamoring to buy their coverage on the federal exchanges? But people who ask questions like that are unpatriotic and hate the poor.

Posted by: Barack Obama at November 4, 2013 07:16 AM

Capt. Mike is right. Not only should we never again listen to someone who's proved himself a liar, but there's no point in listening to the servants of his lie. Either they are liars themselves, or they don't know the difference. Time to hit the "mute" button on their future blathering.

Get them out of office, too. He's a lame duck with crap for a legacy, but a lot of these clowns are still drawing paychecks and benefits in Congress. Time for them to go home and start earning a living in the world they've helped create.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 4, 2013 12:32 PM

Stay.Mad.and.Vote!

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 4, 2013 06:21 PM

Princess, you are getting waaayyy too good at your Barry schtick. Poor CAPT. Mike is going to start looking for his hot (pink) chick from Subic Bay if only to attain some form of reality. We don't wanna chase away perfectly viable seamen now, do we?
0>;~}

Posted by: Evil Twin at November 4, 2013 10:08 PM

BTW Twin, the Subic crack was pure 'nuance,' hyperbole, or more likely some drunken memory from another Old Salt, as that is one port I've never pulled into.

Best Regards,

Posted by: CAPT Mike at November 4, 2013 10:26 PM

I didn't do it, no one saw me, you can't prove it.

Posted by: Texan99 at November 4, 2013 11:50 PM

Heh. I was tempted before, but now I can't resist it.

I was born in Subic Bay :p My parents were stationed there many, many moons ago.

And yes, I still laughed out loud at Capt. Mike's caption!

Posted by: Cass at November 5, 2013 06:51 AM

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya at November 5, 2013 01:44 PM